Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

All so cool. The tail light with the orange top is the Euro style tail lights but many people in the US like them better and have chosen to use the Euro tail light, myself included. If you have one of each, there must be a match for each somewhere?? Question The small round reflector is what I was thinking. US cars have a much larger wrap around rectangular reflector like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Thanks Marcdeb, That is a beautiful Ghia pictured there! Does that sticker on the gas cap door look odd to anyone else? They’re mentioning a 1700 engine, what’s up with that? Perhaps just using the same stick that they’d use on the Baywindow bus, but in ‘70?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Thanks Marcdeb, That is a beautiful Ghia pictured there! Does that sticker on the gas cap door look odd to anyone else? They’re mentioning a 1700 engine, what’s up with that? Perhaps just using the same stick that they’d use on the Baywindow bus, but in ‘70?

Has to be type 4 engine, when did they introduce the 411?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Just a picture I found online. Not mine unfortunately. Crying or Very sad

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

I'm guessing someone had some Type 3 parts after seeing the reflector and the 1600L emblem on the rear.

blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

1600 L was also a designation for the Type 34 Ghia in Europe.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

One thing I seem to be missing is the bumpers. I'm seeing that there are stainless steel repos available. How are they? Fit ok? I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but just trying to see if I should be on the lookout for a used set or just plan on going with the new ones.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

There are endless topics on this, I think this is the main one https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168618&highlight=stainless+steel+bumpers

Many people have had problems and made complaints to the manufacturer and apparently some adjustments were made. You can get lost in the rabbit hole reading this particular thread and the others, kind of like what type of oil to use.

Scan through the classifieds, there are always bumper parts or sets, just depends what shape you are looking for.

Good luck in the hunt, your Ghia is a real find!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

I did a little research, German delivery Ghias that year came standard with a 1500, so the 1600 L designation likely is an optional for the larger 1600 Engine.
Black was the standard interior color for white, so someone went out of their way to order a special red interior.
You car then is quite unique and is really worth doing right. Hopefully you can clean up and retain the original interior, turns out it’s quite unique.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I did a little research, German delivery Ghias that year came standard with a 1500, so the 1600 L designation likely is an optional for the larger 1600 Engine.
Black was the standard interior color for white, so someone went out of their way to order a special red interior.
You car then is quite unique and is really worth doing right. Hopefully you can clean up and retain the original interior, turns out it’s quite unique.

No doubt that your interior is the real thing. I notice that it has all the correct features of original factory upholstery. The door panels have the piping all around the edge and I've never seen any reproduction panels that have that. They also have the dual chromed strips (which are not chrome at all) and no "exact' reproductions available for these either. The pattern of your seats with the smooth faux leather edges and the basket weave center is exactly the pattern used in 1970. You even have the correct matching windlacing. Like Braukuche said, that interior is extremely rare - in this country at least and maybe even in Europe?? What a find! I'm totally envious. It looks in very good shape. Good thing as it would be near impossible to replace it. I looked to see what years red was available and 1968 was the last model year but I don't know if the pattern was the same as yours? Who knows what was available for European buyers though?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

No doubt that your interior is the real thing. I notice that it has all the correct features of original factory upholstery. The door panels have the piping all around the edge and I've never seen any reproduction panels that have that. They also have the dual chromed strips (which are not chrome at all) and no "exact' reproductions available for these either. The pattern of your seats with the smooth faux leather edges and the basket weave center is exactly the pattern used in 1970. You even have the correct matching windlacing. Like Braukuche said, that interior is extremely rare - in this country at least and maybe even in Europe?? What a find! I'm totally envious. It looks in very good shape. Good thing as it would be near impossible to replace it. I looked to see what years red was available and 1968 was the last model year but I don't know if the pattern was the same as yours? Who knows what was available for European buyers though?

1968s have those one year only bug like seats that incorporated the headrest into the backrest.
I also saw a picture of a Euro Ghia with the round rear reflector mounted. Looks like the type 3 one.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Very interesting! Thanks for doing this research for me! I’ll definitely respect it and make sure the interior stays complete and intact with the car. Like I mentioned before, I’d rather just clean things up as good as they get and keep it as original as possible rather than just buy everything new. I don’t mind seeing imperfections, things like that crack on the dash wood grain will stay.
That cable going to the air intake on the air filter, was that always installed? The other end of the cable goes to the thermostat linkage I assume?
Am I correct in thinking that seat belts were never installed in the rear seats? I think I remember that VW designated this as a two passenger car but for some reason it had a little back seat.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

1968s have those one year only bug like seats that incorporated the headrest into the backrest.
I also saw a picture of a Euro Ghia with the round rear reflector mounted. Looks like the type 3 one.

Totally forgot about the head rest differences. Seems like just about every year had some changes between shape of the seat or upholstery patterns. After 68, the color options became very limited.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Very interesting! Thanks for doing this research for me! I’ll definitely respect it and make sure the interior stays complete and intact with the car. Like I mentioned before, I’d rather just clean things up as good as they get and keep it as original as possible rather than just buy everything new. I don’t mind seeing imperfections, things like that crack on the dash wood grain will stay.
That cable going to the air intake on the air filter, was that always installed? The other end of the cable goes to the thermostat linkage I assume?
Am I correct in thinking that seat belts were never installed in the rear seats? I think I remember that VW designated this as a two passenger car but for some reason it had a little back seat.

We have a 70 Bug in the shop, a German delivery car, with the same cable, so yeah, it’s normal.
Seat belts were never installed in the back by the factory, there’s no mounting point And apparently VW couldn’t come up with or didn’t want to bother designing one for 74 models when DOT required seat belts for back seats, too. So they deleted the seat.
Please post pix of the interior when you get it all cleaned up. I hope you decide to do the metal work and paint it, it would be well worth the investment, a car like that would fetch good money if done right.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Low-backs! When did Europe get high-backs?

Matching rear seat as well. There is also red piping behind the doors.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Interesting about the seats. The cars we see in the US have low back through 67. 68 had high back all in one piece. 69 through the end of production, the Ghia's had separate head rests.

Goes to show how much government regulations had an affect on cars. it would be interesting to see more European models to compare.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Looking at German brochures it looks like ‘72 is when they got headrests.
Yet another cool thing about that car!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

I have an original Bahia red 1971 cabrio with black interior. It got headrests.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_70ghia_german/14.jpg
Looking at this car it actually looks lika a car from the 1970:s catalog.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Burman wrote:

Interesting. Maybe some European countries got them before others? I do like the look of the low seats.

My car seems to have two headlight switches, I’m assuming on was used for fog lights.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Ghia that sat for the past 41 years. Reply with quote

Burman wrote:

Was yours a Swedish delivery? This one looks to be German delivery.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: