Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did I kill my auto trans?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelalozhstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

I’ve got a guy telling me that “if the converter has a groove on the hub where the bushing rides it needs to be replaced” I have no idea what he’s talking about... where is there a bushing on the hub of the torque converter??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Pelalozhstar wrote:
I’ve got a guy telling me that “if the converter has a groove on the hub where the bushing rides it needs to be replaced” I have no idea what he’s talking about... where is there a bushing on the hub of the torque converter??
Okay, the bushing is inside the cast iron final drive section, goes around the converter hub to support it. They are replaceable. I'll try to paste the version from GoWesty in a minute.
https://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=torque+converter+bushing

If however he meant the hub that the seal rides against, that's part of the converter, and if there's a speedy sleeve that fits it, you could install that on a worn hub section to get rid of any groove/imperfection that seal might leak from. Speedy Sleeves are like a bushing , that you press on the outside round surface of a part that a seal normally rides on. Quick fix for older parts if there is one that fits the OD of the part you need to repair.

Lastly, your TC seal looks like it could go another 1/8" into the housing, it's not mounted flush like in Dave's posted picture with the greenish seal. See the difference? If you have a worn spot on the Torque Converter hub, just moving the install depth of the seal might get you out of the danger zone.
I used the TC seal from Van Cafe when I resealed my TC a few months ago. That brand was I believe, Pacific, with metal body, not soft body seal. Fit fine , installed flush, and no leaks.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Pelalozhstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

The tc seal worked its way off that’s what I originally asked... I have no idea what would do that, a man told me something is causing pressure to build up and that the transmission has failed in some way... I don’t know if I buy that, but am looking for input on what would cause the seal to work it’s way out like that...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Like djkeev posted earlier, the orange TC seal is not a good seal.

Why? Because its contact face with the final drive is rubber, and it lacks the friction to stay in place in the face of temperature changes and pressure challenges.

What you want there instead is a metal clad seal that is a tight friction fit. The Napa part referred to in his post (which quotes something I said a long time ago) is what you want.

At this point, assuming there is no other issue with your transmission, I would start looking at replacing the torque converter. I've seen those have problems with leakage, and the leaks are hard to find.

I would not give up your automatic for a manual. You have the better transmission in your hands now. Make it work right and you'll be happy.

kourt
Pelalozhstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Thanks kourt,
Any reccomendations on a new torque converter? I see the blue ones for sale but something tells me they are probably junk? It’s a machine balanced deal I understand from the weights on mine too. Seems like a junky part could throw the engine out of balance....
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

I got my last TC from Van Cafe, but they were reselling TCs that had been rebuilt by Precision of New Hampton:

http://www.gopnh.com/Automotive-Transmissions.cfm?Transmission=090

Part 7102

It's been a good unit. I would call PNH and see if they can sell direct to you.

Keep in mind, we really haven't completed the walk-through diagnostic of your transmission. There could be a problem in there and nothing wrong with the TC. Throwing parts at it is not the best approach. I suggested replacing the TC because I was at the end of my rope once with diagnostics and was fine with spending $250 on a new TC as opposed to $500 on a new transmission--and that decision worked for me that one time.

At the very least, if I were in your shoes, I would drop the transmission oil pan and do the compressed air test on the ports. Those tests are described in the Bentley manual.

kourt
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Check locally, you may find a company that rebuilds torque converter. That is how I found mine. Sending a clients converter and getting it back two weeks later was a pain. Now I drop it off at 8am and get it back at 3pm.
Pelalozhstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Think I found my problem
The blue marked photo shows that bearing there was completely destroyed the rollers were at the bottoms of the pan and there’s a lot of steel dust on the magnet. Could anyone help me please find some options for replacement and explain to me the difference between the 3:23 and 4:10 ratios?

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me so far.

Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Your cheapest and maybe best option is to find a good used final drive section and install it. You want the unit to have the original gear ratio or close to it. The ratio is determined by the number of teeth on the ring gear divided by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.

If you use the wrong ratio you could end up with sluggish performance or a rig with a very low top end.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

I’ve got a complete used transaxle from an aircooled van with a torque converter. I’ve not listed it because shipping would be probably more than what I would sell it for. PM me if you decide to go that route.

I’d stick with the stock ring and pinion ratios unless you have the power to turn it. Realize changing the ring and pinion is not a just install and go. You need to set the pinion depth and backlash. It requires some special vw tools or a lot of assembly and disassembly trying different shim combinations to get it correct.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

The red color of your oil might indicate you got mixing between the ATF and the differential gear oil. Even if this happened I would think it would take a while for a failure to occur. Why did you go in and change the seals to start with, was the transmission already giving problems?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The red color of your oil might indicate you got mixing between the ATF and the differential gear oil. Even if this happened I would think it would take a while for a failure to occur. Why did you go in and change the seals to start with, was the transmission already giving problems?

Hmmmm........ Thinking out loud, is it possible you drained the gear oil? Though you would need to drop the gear cover to do so.

The red oil is a definite "Uh Oh" clue.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Pelalozhstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

I don’t get it... the transfer case doesn’t have atf in it? How does the atf fluid get from the transmission to the torque converter?
Pelalozhstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Wild things, all I did was take out the tranny to get at the main seal. All of these failures came after the fact.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Pelalozhstar wrote:
Wild things, all I did was take out the tranny to get at the main seal. All of these failures came after the fact.

The main crankshaft/flywheels seal would not have done this. Don't know what you mean by the seal on the end of the transfer case, but maybe you are talking about the Torque Converter seal? Changing the torque converter seal could not have done this either.

How/where did you drain the oil? Where did you put the oil back in? Pictures along with words would help.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Pelalozhstar wrote:
I don’t get it... the transfer case doesn’t have atf in it? How does the atf fluid get from the transmission to the torque converter?

Through the pinion shaft. It’s hollow. That’s an oversimplified explanation.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Pelalozhstar wrote:

If the seal for the torque converter fails, it will allow ATF to pass by it and into the Final Drive and contaminate the 90 weight gear oil and likely ruin the Final Drive.

Idea If you have one of these transmissions and you’re wondering where the hell all your ATF is going, get under there and open up the fill plug on the Final Drive. The only thing that should weep out is some gear oil. If you get pinkish and thin fluid that comes spewing out, you’re screwed.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

And be really damn thoughtful marrying up the transmission to the engine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674690&highlight=automatic+warning

It was not a pleasing experience.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Pelalozhstar wrote:

If the seal for the torque converter fails, it will allow ATF to pass by it and into the Final Drive and contaminate the 90 weight gear oil and likely ruin the Final Drive.

A failed Torque Converter seal will only cause an exterior leak, while there are three other seals that can cause an internal leak. Don't know the proper name for two seals on the pinion shaft so inner and outer will have to do.

1. Governor shaft seal
2. Inner pinion shaft seal
3. Outer pinion shaft seal
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Did I kill my auto trans? Reply with quote

Post a picture of the rollers you found. Looking at your pictures, I don't see how the rollers could have found their way out of position. The wear pattern on the ring gear doesn't look that great though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: