Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowback seats in a 72
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Maddog209"]
vw_hank wrote:
Maddog209 wrote:
Here is my 68 with lowbacks out of a 66. This was a much easier swap considering 68 was the first year for highbacks and they used the same seat rails.

I hope you are able to achieve the desired look for you Bug.

quote] all the 1970 and older seats are interchangeable,, thy changed the seat rails in 1971, then again in 1973.. so putting 66 seats in your 68 is no big deal Wink

PS: looks great! high backs just dont look right in A bug..

I never said it was a big deal......but I sure enjoy the simple outcome!! VW Logo

oh come on,,, don't start getting butt-hurt Rolling Eyes no one was putting you or your car down Cool Just saying it takes A little more work to put them into A 71-72,, don't start reading in things that aren't there Wink
hvactaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lowback seats in a 72 Reply with quote

I have a european 73 SB with lowback seats. I assumed they were original, but now I'm wondering. I know the european market had lots of differences than the US market when it came to many details (turn signal lights for example). I think they used whatever parts were laying around in the factory for the European market.

Can anyone tell me if there are telltale signs to know if these are genuine low backs or if they have been modified? Is there a way to tell what era they are from? They seem to be the same vintage as the car, in my estimation. This car was originally delivered to Italy so maybe the lowbacks were allowed there in 73?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lowback seats in a 72 Reply with quote

I don't have the answer to your question, but it might be useful to post pics of your seats showing the seat back release mechanisms and pics of your floor pans. The US-spec '73 SB used the center pedestal and short rectangular rails like this (pic from gallery):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If your floor pans are the earlier style with just two ramped rails it may suggest that someone modified the pans so they could take early style low back seats.

Oh, and here's a video showing how to convert high back seats to low back for anyone interested in the conversion.

Link

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
cefolar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowback seats in a 72 Reply with quote

Here - https://www.tmiproducts.com/high-back-to-low-back-...edan.html/

That was my approach.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowback seats in a 72 Reply with quote

hvactaylor wrote:
I have a european 73 SB with lowback seats. I assumed they were original, but now I'm wondering. I know the european market had lots of differences than the US market when it came to many details (turn signal lights for example). I think they used whatever parts were laying around in the factory for the European market.

Can anyone tell me if there are telltale signs to know if these are genuine low backs or if they have been modified? Is there a way to tell what era they are from? They seem to be the same vintage as the car, in my estimation. This car was originally delivered to Italy so maybe the lowbacks were allowed there in 73?

Low back were the standard in Europe well into the 70ies. The gravestones (highbacks) are very uncommon in most European countries, except for Sweden.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could easily trade them across the pond. The everybody could get what they desire.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
hvactaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lowback seats in a 72 Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Low back were the standard in Europe well into the 70ies. The gravestones (highbacks) are very uncommon in most European countries, except for Sweden.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could easily trade them across the pond. The everybody could get what they desire.

Absolutely! Everybody wants what they don't have! Wink
hvactaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lowback seats in a 72 Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
If your floor pans are the earlier style with just two ramped rails it may suggest that someone modified the pans so they could take early style low back seats.

Mine are the same rails and hump as your picture. Identical.

Here's the best picture of the seats that I have on hand:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: