Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Hose?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

So, is the hose size on our carbureted bugs 5mm ID, or 5.5 mm ID.

I’m about to do a hose campaign (it’s been a few years), and I have used German 5mm ID. However, I’ve heard that the stock size was actually 5.5 mm ID.

Belmetric sells Flennor 5.5 mm, braided Ethanol to 85% (more ethanol proof than I need, but whatever). They also sell the 5 mm. So, which should I choose?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5 mm
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Thanks, kpf, but I was asking about the original ID (inside diameter) of the fuel hose. Your graph only shows the lengths.

I don’t want to go to 5.5mm ID if it should be 5 mm. However, I’ve seen several posts in the past that says the original fuel line was 5.5 mm ID.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Your graph only shows the lengths.

The text for #14 says 5X2.5, that's ID and wall thickness in mm. All the lengths listed afterwards are for the same stuff but they are too lazy to repeat the same dimension for every part. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

This is what I used - 5 mm.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Bus, thanks for translating. It looks like 5mm ID. I wonder where I got that 5.5 mm drift?

And Wayne, where did you get those fuel-hose clamps? I called Wolfsburg West today, and they only have two in stock. The rest are on a back order that may, or may not, be filled in two weeks.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Bus, thanks for translating. It looks like 5mm ID. I wonder where I got that 5.5 mm drift?

And Wayne, where did you get those fuel-hose clamps? I called Wolfsburg West today, and they only have two in stock. The rest are on a back order that may, or may not, be filled in two weeks.

Tim

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/22013
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0019976990
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
—Matthew 16:24–25

Last edited by Double-Double on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
where did you get those fuel-hose clamps?

Belmetric has them too:
https://www.belmetric.com/high-pressure-screw-clamps-c-15_143/
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

I tried to find those clamps at the hardware store and auto parts store. I couldn’t find a small enough clamp. I ended up ordering a kit from Amazon Prime - free shipping. It had multiple sizes including the size I needed.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

ABA stainless

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Well, I’m a bit confused. The Belmetric 5 mm ID hose says that the hose has 10 mm OD. No problem. The German hose I’ve always used is about 10.5 mm OD. However, the AutohausAZ fuel hose clamps that Autohaus says will fit my Super Beetle, states that the clamps work on hose that is 12.5 mm to 15 mm. That is they will close only to 12.5 mm.

This leads me to believe that the Autohaus clamps won’t close enough to tighten on my 10 mm OD hose. They come in a pack of 10, and I don’t want to get all my hoses and find out I have to resort to using my old radiator clamps.

Am I missing something here? I know, I know, this is something simple, except for the fact that for years I’ve only used the old-style radiator clamps on my fuel hose. And these clamps work on a much wider, or lower, range.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

I agree those are too big, although the OD of the hose expands by about 1mm once the hose is on a smooth hard line. Could be more if it’s on a barbed nipple. I will check which size I used and post it in the morning.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Kpf, thank you.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

I believe Glen’s were 10mm, it says right on the clamps usually.
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”

Last edited by Double-Double on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Looks like you want these clamps, should you go for stainless-
https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-steel-screw-cl...ca7mo459g2

Standard-
https://www.belmetric.com/aba-dual-drive-hex-c-15_...ca7mo459g2

I need to buy fuel hose soon so it's nice that they carry the fittings too! May as well go for stainless, its only 60c more per piece, and they get cheaper when you buy ten either way.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Looks like you want these clamps, should you go for stainless-
https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-steel-screw-cl...ca7mo459g2

Standard-
https://www.belmetric.com/aba-dual-drive-hex-c-15_...ca7mo459g2

I need to buy fuel hose soon so it's nice that they carry the fittings too! May as well go for stainless, its only 60c more per piece, and they get cheaper when you buy ten either way.

Thanks for the link I’m at this stage in my build also.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Tim: I just checked the the clamp size that I used and it was marked 9-11 mm. The kit had multiple sizes including 8-10 mm and that clamp was too small.

I measured the O.D. of the Flennor hose and it is 10.5 mm. Once installed over the hard line it measures about 10.9 mm. So the 9-11 mm clamp fit well.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

I used the "CHP12SS - High Pressure Screw Clamp Stainless"
https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-high-pressure-...-5668.html

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I didn't choose the CHP11SS (or even the CHP10SS), but the 12's worked fine.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hose? Reply with quote

you can also find them at WW, There are 2 sizes order the HOSECLAMP it is for the 5mm hose. the second is for the FI high pressure hose HOSECLAMPFI. GOOD LUCK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: