Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom headliner on CHEAP!!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

When I purchased my 68 Sedan a few years ago it still had most of the original headliner intact. Only problem was when I drive with the windows open, little bits of insulation found fly around the interior of the car.... so I ripped it out. Pretty crusty, very dry, very brittle.

After a few months of having no headliner (which makes the inside of the car VERY loud) I got creative.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the result. I used an old army wool blanket and the oem headliner bows. Doesn't look terrible, really helps with the sound level in the car, and only cost me 2 hours of a Sunday morning.

-Nick-
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

Nice. Simple, effective, and looks good too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

I like the looks. I might steal your idea too because I need a cheapy for my car. Did you put anything under it like glue or sound deadening material or just the blanket held in by the bows?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

I did a similar thing. I took one of the small moving blankets from HF and glued it up there (black side out). It actually looks pretty decent. The small blanket fits perfectly side to side, and only needs trimmed for length. I didn't leave the bows up there, but I did use them to help hold everything up while I worked from front to back.

And you're right, it makes a huge difference with the DB level inside the car.

Total cost was about $10 bucks.

If I knew it was going to look so decent, I'd of used a brand new one ($3) instead of one I had kicking around. Really I was just trying something I thought would be temporary so I didn't end up with a headache after 45 minutes.
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
I like the looks. I might steal your idea too because I need a cheapy for my car. Did you put anything under it like glue or sound deadening material or just the blanket held in by the bows?

No glue or insulation. The only thing I had to add was an extra "bow" cut down from a random tent rod I had in the garage for the very front. The factory vinyl headliner attaches to the windshield seal and i needed to secure the area above the sun visors.

-Nick-
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

Looks good. Cool
kinzebac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

nbuscemi wrote:
SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:

No glue or insulation. The only thing I had to add was an extra "bow" cut down from a random tent rod I had in the garage for the very front. The factory vinyl headliner attaches to the windshield seal and i needed to secure the area above the sun visors.

-Nick-

Did you have to trim the army blanket to fit? Love this look Very Happy
Profcucchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

nbuscemi wrote:
When I purchased my 68 Sedan a few years ago it still had most of the original headliner intact. Only problem was when I drive with the windows open, little bits of insulation found fly around the interior of the car.... so I ripped it out. Pretty crusty, very dry, very brittle.

After a few months of having no headliner (which makes the inside of the car VERY loud) I got creative.

Here is the result. I used an old army wool blanket and the oem headliner bows. Doesn't look terrible, really helps with the sound level in the car, and only cost me 2 hours of a Sunday morning.

-Nick-

That looks like a win for me!
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

Nice! My custom headliner in my 66. Black fleece, I looped little sleeves for the headliner bows and stapled carboard to the front and back to look like a stock headliner. fleece stretches really good.

kinzebac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom headliner on CHEAP!!! Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
Nice! My custom headliner in my 66. Black fleece, I looped little sleeves for the headliner bows and stapled carboard to the front and back to look like a stock headliner. fleece stretches really good.

Do you have any more photos of this? I am really liking this idea and think I want to try this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: