Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question About Driver's Seat Battery Compartment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanagonRocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Question About Driver's Seat Battery Compartment Reply with quote

I'm looking at auxiliary battery solutions, and one idea I had is to put a battery and an inverter inside the driver's side battery compartment, and also cut two holes, so I can have an AC plug outlet poke out in a convenient location (see photo).

Here's my question:

Is it possible to cut a hole in the part labeled (1) in the photo, and slip in an inverter into that space, so the AC plug outlet sticks out of hole (2)? What's behind there? Is it empty or full of things that really shouldn't be messed with? THANKS!

It's a 1985 1.9 GL if that helps..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Question About Driver's Seat Battery Compartment Reply with quote

Where you want to insert the inverter appears to be the inner fender well. There is also an expansion tank in that fender area. Best to get a flashlight and have a look. Sorry if I misunderstood.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Question About Driver's Seat Battery Compartment Reply with quote

I can't quite tell where you are indicating to cut, but there are a couple threads on installing batteries there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9490087#9490087

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740626

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Question About Driver's Seat Battery Compartment Reply with quote

You can cut through the back of that battery box (into the cabin) but not the side as one of the fuel tank expansion tank is on the other side of that wall.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: