Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Voltage regulator 6V question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

I would like to know what are the possible issues caused by the burned piece of the regulator. It seems to be charging fine but I supposed that piece should be only one and not two pieces.
I checked with the multimeter and the tension delivered on B+ is around 7V with the accelerated engine.
Thanks in advance for all the help you can give me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

It's probably ok to run it as long as it doesn't overcharge. That may be the Positive to the field relay which it would work without. Best to replace the regulator though.
That's probably on the leg marked current limit in the schematic below:

jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.
If I understood correctly the risk would be to overcharge the battery or the wiring.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Yes if that is on the field Normally Open contact! These voltage regulators actually have 3 modes of operation.
1. Field to Ground regulation: During start and low rpm.
2. Field to Positive (ie. D+ which reduces the field) (Which is what may be blown) over voltage & current limit.
3. Field to the wire wound resistor always present and when the battery is fully charged the action between 2 and 3 regulates voltage.
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Thanks. Fully understood!
Another question:
Do you think it's possible to recover it by replacing the blown component? I have a faulty regulator from which I could remove that part. The main issue would be the riveting but I guess I could screw it instead of riveting. Or you would not consider that?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Yeah, it's worth a Try probably be hard to get a good connection maybe drill it out and put bolts and nuts in. Most people just get a new one. I totally gutted one and put modern electronics in.
There is a aftermarket VW 6 volt electronic voltage regulator now. https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D903%2D801%2DC

jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

I used one of those and it lasted 2 and a half years. That's why I'm sticking to the old school.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try. Have nothing to lose
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Here are the photos showing the replaced blown part. However I'm facing a new problem. I don't have a single clue on how I did it but, I must have forced and closed completely the field coil contact gap while drilling the rivets. The contact was totally stuck!! No movement form left to right.
I rebuilt the gap but now I won´t know if the control of the field current is correct.
Therefore, time to get another regulator.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

just try it watch your lights that the don't over brighten measure the voltage output with a voltmeter. Check that the cut-out relay is working and that it doesn't get stuck or anything when you shutdown. You don't want any spikes going over 8 volts, Ideally it would regulate right at 7 volts. See how it behaves in use. See how well it starts charging when you first start the engine, you can adjust the voltage by bending the contacts with needle nose pliers. Usually after you file the contacts and adjust one they are never as nice as a new one though Don't be surprised if it doesn't blow again. The frozen contacts could well have been what blew it.
jessousa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Tested the regulator and no luck.
At lhe beginning no charge neither at idle nor at high rev. Took it off and detected a short between DF and D+on all positions of the field relay contacts. The continuity should stop when the field relay arm is in the middle position, not touching any of the contacts and that is not what's happening.
So, I guess now it's really time to get another one.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Well the metal frame of the reg is connected to ground but there may be a plate that is DF or D+ that could short to ground. But DF to D+ Short interesting. Also remember the fact that they connect through the electro magnet wiring etc... I have one here off the car it measures 14 ohms between DF and D+.
Must be a really direct short though because it blew that strip.
Bernas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator 6V question Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yeah, it's worth a Try probably be hard to get a good connection maybe drill it out and put bolts and nuts in. Most people just get a new one. I totally gutted one and put modern electronics in.
There is a aftermarket VW 6 volt electronic voltage regulator now. https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D903%2D801%2DC

hello VW's lovers, could someone get me an electronic one of these, I'm from coimbra/portugal and I can't get it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: