Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lets talk Motor mounts.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

When I was doing research for my manual, I wondered if I needed extra engine support because it was a Type IV engine.

I was very lucky to to have Joe of Oregon Performance, the guy that created the DTM and Mike Sharp of Sharpbuilt in Australia.

Mike showed me photos of a Baja bug that won the 1000 mile Australian Outback race. He said they did not use one, the T-4 only weighs 25 lbs more then the T-1
Joe said yes put the brace that goes around the transmission and seeing T-4 engine had rear months, the engine has ready made holes to put in a cross bar.

SO I listened to JOe, After I bought my stainless steel exhaust from the UK, I had to remove the cross bar because it interfered with the exhaust.

As time passed I removed the brace it rusted and made a lot of noise.

Do not know if the shaking is a bad motor mount ( 31) years in the car or just need to make sure the carbs are in sync.

What ever, a lot of guys including John from Aircooled.net and a bunch of your tube videos recommends the Empi Mid Engine mount, which you do not have to remove the engine to install and actually recommends for all engines, Under $50 bucks 4 bolt install.

Anyone have a review.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

I am all for the mid engine mount, but not with the Urethane pads. (Unless it is allk out racing) Thatīs terrible in sending noise to the rest of the car. The Berg rubber shockers are the way to go.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

Your not wrong Torben. My mid mount with the silicone, The noise is horrible.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

Good news is we all agree a mid mount is the way to go.

I have several berg parts on my bug, my shifter as an example, why because none even came close, to how it shifts. That was amazing, so I paid the price and love it.

Bergs as usual is a work of art a real solid piece. Price total $200

The Empi part is industrial looking may not be as strong, which I doubt, because they both use the same 4 bolts. Price less then $50.

You guy brought up the Urethane, Silicone Pads being a sound issue.

I have this thing, after dealing with mice, insects, rust etc. I remove anything that can hold moisture. No insolation or sound deadening and even removed the head liner. Talk about noise, ha. Removed the radio it was just taking up space, could not hear it.

So noise is not a factor. The Urethane pads can be removed and for a few dollars replaced with rubber. It is not the noise I am worried about it would be the vibration.

I do not drag race.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

My 67 has the EMPI mid-mount.
I really didn't notice any transmitted vibration through the chassis.
Hell, I didn't detect any loud noise also.
But, I do suffer with an acute case of Tinnitus. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

I have a mid mount with Black rubber pads. It does not seem to transmit noise into the frame.....At least that I can notice.
I does help firm up the trans though.
I tried the two piece strap kit and it was the biggest POS kit I've ever installed.
I ended up taking it off and replacing it with the mid mount.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

67 Tinnitus, ha, I can't hear Hi Frequency, like my Joe throw out the garbage.
OK for Dinner is ready.

Serious, bad hi frequency,,

OK So 67 I am going the same route.

Clonebug, I are using the more expensive with the Rubber Mounts, less noise..

TOTALLY agree on the Two Piece, yep, POS. Talk about noise.

Back to the mid support, I can go with the noise. It works quite well, actually both versions do, some guys have a broken front stock support and just use the mid till they are willing to pull the engine.

Actually Chris Vallone show how to replace the stock, one with out total removal of the engine and tranny. Looses up the tranny bolts and uses a crow bar to just push the engine back enough to pull the mount out.

It is on Youtube.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

What are the bolt-on mid mounts that are available and which is the best?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Eyeball-Engineering-...-mount.htm

I am a fan of this mount, and btw, it is very available.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

Couple mounts ready for powder coat.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

Hi Derrick,
Well here is a video of the EMPI Mid Trans Mount . Empi has been known as the best mfg of part but this part has had some good reviews and very easy to install.

The much better part made by Berg. It uses rubber vs Urethane
It cost 3 times the price. If you want a quiet car, the Berg is better due to it using rubber pads.

Both will do the same job on bug that does not high hp.

As you can read in this post some of the guys say no problem with the noise and the Urethane will last longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirdvrU5ids
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

Nextgen you might like what I came up with , mainly to be able change mounts easily without having to remove the engine .It would've be a lot easier to just get a adaptor bell housing ! The rubber mounts are early GM rear transmission mounts .
They proved too soft so I made some mounts using poly shackle bushes , they are noisey so will at some stage change them to rubber .

I made a rear bar that bolts to the original type 4 fan mounting on the case inside the engine compartment like a 911 and ties to the bumper mounts which I'll just use for racing ,not needed on the street for everyday driving .

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lets talk Motor mounts. Reply with quote

Before I get started, ROME, you took that cool Rolling photo of me doing 60 on the Palisades Parkway, on our 50 bug Cruise. Well here is one of you I just found, I think the Woodstock Reunion or Terryville Conn. like maybe 15 to 20 years ago.

Ok back to the subject. As mentioned I did not know to install a rear engine support, seeing a T-1 weighs around 250 lbs and a T-4 325lbs. But in the upright conversion only 25 lbs more then a T-1. Made this wild industrial oil cylinders support . Only until I got my Stainless steel duel exhaust for a 914 from England did I remove it, due to the bar interfering with the muffler. I only removed the two cylinders and thought the bar was great just to support the muffler to the case and it worked great.
Now that I am a bit wiser, going to resupport the engine using the bar and some threated rods, which will be great for exact adjustment.

BTY I think all bugs should go for the mid engine mount, it is a no brainer. If the original front mount goes you may have to pull the engine.
This is extra security and a simple bolt up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: