Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
"Our asking price was $65,000, even though we spent a blinding amount more than that on her. That price was scoffed at by idiots from coast to coast who know nothing of the value of restored Syncros."

Aaaaaand....That's all I need to know about them.

Are you saying 65,000$ is too much? Go have a look at the syncro classifieds currently and have a good laugh, they've gone up about 30k in the past two months!
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

A Jeep? REALLY? Those things are the biggest rip-off in the current car market. Absolute pieces of junk and those new pick-ups are overpriced more than your average rusted out Syncro on craigslist!

Have you even driven one before ordering? Its like a joke man. They feel made for college kids or at least 110lb girls to pick up groceries with. No room whatsoever inside. Rides like a buckboard. Frame and suspension parts that look like toys compared to actual 4x4's. Just the worst! I know one guy who bought one and sold it within 6 months. He then got the second worst thing out there, a Colorado diesel 4x4 pick-up, which I rode in and started laughing because it rode so bad and felt like typical American made crap. He very quickly traded that in and just went full Ford 4x4 pick-up.

Good luck though.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
A Jeep? REALLY? Those things are the biggest rip-off in the current car market. Absolute pieces of junk and those new pick-ups are overpriced more than your average rusted out Syncro on craigslist!

Have you even driven one before ordering? Its like a joke man. They feel made for college kids or at least 110lb girls to pick up groceries with. No room whatsoever inside. Rides like a buckboard. Frame and suspension parts that look like toys compared to actual 4x4's. Just the worst! I know one guy who bought one and sold it within 6 months. He then got the second worst thing out there, a Colorado diesel 4x4 pick-up, which I rode in and started laughing because it rode so bad and felt like typical American made crap. He very quickly traded that in and just went full Ford 4x4 pick-up.

Good luck though.

Wow Shocked Thanks for the positive vibes... glad I could help you get that off your chest. Hopefully it made you feel better?

We all have choices. So if you don't agree, I really don't care. That is your opinion.

Sincerely yours....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroanddestroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
newerwesty1987 wrote:

Good luck though.

Wow Shocked Thanks for the positive vibes... glad I could help you get that off your chest. Hopefully it made you feel better?

We all have choices. So if you don't agree, I really don't care. That is your opinion.

Sincerely yours....

Not the first thread newerwesty has decided to nay say all over on. Who cares!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Very complicated electronics and computer systems along with a newer generation turbo-diesel will make DIY repairs more complicated.

Yeah look into the Chrysler secure gateway. $50 a year subscription on an expensive scan tool lets you look at all the enhanced manufacture data. You should be able to pull global OBD faults and data, maybe.

And I'm pretty sure I saw the Ripley van come through the shop with the new owner. I'm not surprised they had so many issues with that van!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

If you haven't watched Jed's Campervan Culture videos, those are the gold standard for Vanagon travel vids in my opinion.

His new Man truck is not nearly as interesting (to me) but the trips across the Pyrenees, Morocco, and Sweden in his Syncro are fantastic.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply. Flatbed pick-ups with a camper have been catching my eye lately. Those Aussies know a thing or two about getting around in the outback (I have family who moved to the NT 50 years ago and stayed).

If you post your build anywhere else please share as I'd like to follow it. I've enjoyed following Hodakaguy's many builds (Unimog, Toyota's, Sprinter, evinrudes, etc.) on other forums after he completed his Syncro build.

Agreed on not selling. The '88 BMW GS I bought new and this van are two things that will likely be handed off when I die.

Syncro Jael wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Syncro Jael, do you have a build thread that can be followed? I continue to wonder when that day will come for our Vanagon and what the replacement will be (modern high-top vans are the leading candidates).

I too looked at all the "Van" platforms out there. There are some really great builds on these. But I am after a more capable off-road vehicle. So many times I have pointed our triple knob Syncro up places and they were still not doable. Due to gearing, power, articulation, with its approach, break over, and departure angles. Don't get me wrong, the Syncro is a very capable vehicle. When in Colorado we had many ask us what we were doing up here in a van on Imogene and Black Bear Passes. It was interesting that the Syncro could turn the switchbacks on Black Bear while the Jeeps did a 2-point turn. Very Happy Years later I can still slide under the van and see marks from these adventures.

But I am working with an antique vehicle. It has its limitations. And it still has the issue of a weak transaxle to work with.

We have always had Jeeps in our family. My very first vehicle was a 1949 Willys.

My new platform will be on a 2021 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator. I ordered one with the new generation Eco-Diesel. Power, torque, and gearing will be a non-issue for me. Fuel mileage will increase substantially. As will creature comforts and safety. The build will include removing the bed and replacing it with a PCOR tray bed. I have always watched the Australian overlanders and their builds. Very impressive vehicles for overlanding the backcountry of Australia.

Then a custom flatbed pop up camper will be manufactured to fit the tray perfectly. I will miss the walk-thru from the driver's seat to the living quarters, but the compromise will be the ability to unbolt the camper, on jacks, and have the truck to go explore in. I will actually gain additional living space in the camper and have the convenience of modern components inside. I have been following many overlanders on Youtube. Grizzley and Bear have a Defender and a popup camper. For a couple years they have been all over the world.

Yes, a new vehicle will present its own issues. Very complicated electronics and computer systems along with a newer generation turbo-diesel will make DIY repairs more complicated. But it will also provide a more comfortable and safer platform to build on. This build will take a couple years to complete due to the lead time on the custom camper and other components.

This forum is not the place for my future build, but I don't plan on selling my Syncro anytime soon. I have dumped my heart and soul into this build and have reaped the rewards of exploring all over North America from Alaska to New Foundland, all over Canada, and much of the United States.

We Love our Vanagon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
11BC2 wrote:
"Our asking price was $65,000, even though we spent a blinding amount more than that on her. That price was scoffed at by idiots from coast to coast who know nothing of the value of restored Syncros."

Aaaaaand....That's all I need to know about them.

Are you saying 65,000$ is too much? Go have a look at the syncro classifieds currently and have a good laugh, they've gone up about 30k in the past two months!

Price isn't the issue, hence why I bolded the text I was evaluating.

But speaking of price: Money sunk into repairs/maintenance, specially when done incorrectly, is seldom recoverable at sale time. I The folks in question did not get their asking price.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
As we are getting older the stresses of driving a vintage vehicle all over the continent is beginning to wear on us. Replacement parts are not as high of quality and need to be replaced more than they should.

That sure sounds familiar -- even after a major Makeover. They don't make 'em like they used to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z53wyiIPgDk .
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Reply with quote

Thanks Syncro Jael for reminding me about Imogene Pass!
What a great trail!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You're right about vintage vehicles (and their vintage drivers) but they make great stories and I can't imagine driving anything else up the trails.

This guy makes some good videos as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5QH6QP6044

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: