Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side Trim Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:

The long piece is what worries me. Is the type 3 rear trim long enough? Has anybody used the ISP West pieces?

Bill

Yes the Type3 trim is (almost) long enough, the longest piece is approx 1cm shorter than on the 2-door Type4 but that should be OK to me, just let the trim go fully towards the door opening and some mm shorter at the back then the original, see table below.
However to completely replace all Type4 upper trim with the Type3 trim you may have to use more than one set...if no trim of what you already have is usable.

I also enclose some pics of how you can make the ends look pretty nice...can be made even better than I did.

Sorry, dont know about the ISP West sets...

/Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Nice work Lars!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Thanks Lars!
Yes, just a little shorter would work fine. I really can’t use any of my old trim because of the dents... unless I become a magician! I think I should be able to use just one new set. I am going to try and contact isp west and see what they have. I will let you know.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Lars,
You are right that I will have to use multiple sets or individual pieces. Found out through ISP West the only trim long enough is the rear fender which is exactly the same. So looks like I will have to purchase multiple rear trims and cut them for the doors and front fenders. Otherwise all the other profiles are the same as the 412. I will be reusing my rocker trims (thank god), which are in perfect condition. ISP West also told me that they will sell me individual pieces. That is good but will cost more than buying ready made “sets”. Such is life when restoring...
Bill
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Quick question -- reading this thread, I'm wondering about the trim that's on my '74 412 4-door. Sorry for the poor quality photo, but you can see it's a wider molding with a rubber insert. All of the trim on the car is like this, and I've seen it on at least a few other 412s. So my question is, is this some kind of optional trim, in place of the solid aluminum strips? Or is it a dealer add-on? Or some kind of aftermarket trim common on 412s?

Mostly I'm just curious -- any thoughts?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Intresting! Shocked
Never seen that type before, do they look to be factory cut at both ends or can they have been cut to length by dealer/PO?

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Nice Slovakia emblem on the left of the photo. 👍🏻👍🏻🇸🇰

BR,

Rob
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob!

Very Happy
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Lars -- They look factory to me, and it never occurred to me that they might not be until I picked up a parts car recently, which has normal aluminum strips. I've combed through a bunch of pictures of 412s the last couple of days and there are some with my kind of trim, but mostly with the normal aluminum.

The challenge will be when I get around to painting my car...trying to find something similar to those rubber inserts may be a challenge! (The ones on my car are very weathered...)

Thanks! Very Happy
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

I have never seen this before…but they sure look nice! Do you know if these are maybe stick ons or use the normal factory clips with the holes in the body? Through the years there have been plenty stick on with adhesive backing for any car…aftermarket. Ths is what this looks like to me.

Bill
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Here are a few examples I dug up (apologies to the original posters -- nothing nefarious intended in reusing your images, I'm just using them to help show what I'm dealing with here!).

These all seem to be the same type I have on my 412. I had to search far and wide to find them, so more and more I'm convinced that this trim is some kind of aftermarket thing -- most images out there of these cars show the normal aluminim strips.

I'm not sure if these stick on or use the factory clips -- I'll have to do some (careful) investigation to figure that out.

Thanks for the replies, folks! Very Happy

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

I have seen a couple of sets in the salvage yards. They were either for use in other markets like European...or they were dealer installed options. In fact....digging through the parts book there is no part number or M code variant for them. I am betting they are all dealer option.

Ray
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Thanks, Ray -- much appreciated! Very Happy

Since they are all complete, and I think look pretty good, I'm going to keep them when I have my car painted. The only challenge will be replacing the rubber inserts, but I suspect I can find something that will work for that once I have them apart and have a better sense of the cross-section.

In the meantime, now that I have a parts car with a full set of glass I'll be a little less timid about driving the car more often -- which is nice because of all of my cars, the 412 is by far the nicest to drive! Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Those trim styles were very common in the US aftermarket in the late '70s/early '80s.

They had many standard lengths, and also there were kits with ends you put on them after cutting them to length.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Those trim styles were very common in the US aftermarket in the late '70s/early '80s.

They had many standard lengths, and also there were kits with ends you put on them after cutting them to length.

Yep...you know....I am wondering if there is not some archived trim supply we are just not finding that repops a huge range of trim styles.

Example of things "We" as a group....seem to just miss for eons...not to get off-subject.... Laughing

Acme headliners.
When I came across these guys via someone else's post....they had the same kind of "claims" that many accessory part manufacturers have stated about odd cars like my 411's and 412's and even my Saab 900....all of my life.

Claims like "We have all exact factory styles for all models from original factory patterns".
I have found over the past 40 years that 90% of manufacturers who say something like that about parts for a 411 or 412...either have nothing....have no idea what the car is....they are just using an all encompassing generic make and model list....or what they think they make that fits our cars...will not.

I was pleasantly (through the results of others) surprised that ACME is not kidding. They do make proper headliner kits for 411 and 412 from factory patterns.

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/

We need a trim and seal company like that.
Maybe like this...even though its in the UK
http://www.automobiletrim.com/

And...there is a nice list of trim dealers at the end of this Hemmings article

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/moldings-and-trim

Keep looking!

Ray
Methusela Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Trim Question Reply with quote

Thanks, Ray! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: