Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No spark from coil
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: No spark from coil Reply with quote

I have a buggy and I’m trying to get spark from the coil by taking plug off dist cap and arc it to ground but I’m having no luck. I have a new coil so I assume that’s not it. Right now I am trying to bypass the ignition switch by jumping the coil to the battery just to see if it’ll start but that also gives no spark. Is there something I could be missing? From what I’ve gathered the coil just needs 12v power to be able to test For spark right?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: No spark from coil Reply with quote

Evred wrote:
From what I’ve gathered the coil just needs 12v power to be able to test For spark right?

Needs that 12 volts positive at coil terminal #15 and the points to be opened and closed, and the distributor wire going to coil negative terminal #1.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: No spark from coil Reply with quote

Spark should jump just microseconds after 12 volts drops to zero across coil input terminals. Assuming you do indeed have a hot 12 volt source connected to (+) terminal on coil, the problem may be that you do not have the (-) terminal grounded. Ideally, it would be grounded thru the points. But points might be open; or even if closed, might not be passing electrons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: No spark from coil Reply with quote

To test your coil using only a fully charged 12V battery:
1. Connect the coil positive or "15" terminal to the positive post of the battery.
2. Connect a wire to the negative terminal of the battery only -- this will be your coil trigger wire.
3. Install the high tension lead into the center post of the coil.
4. While holding the free end of the coil high tension lead approximately a quarter inch away from the battery negative post, take the free end of the trigger wire that is attached to the battery negative post and briefly touch it against the coil's negative or "1" terminal -- the coil should spark as soon as you pull the trigger wire away from the coil's negative or "1" terminal.

For a bit more information on ignition systems, see the following link: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/122.cfm
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark from coil Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
4. While holding the free end of the coil high tension lead approximately a quarter inch away from the battery negative post, take the free end of the trigger wire that is attached to the battery negative post and briefly touch it against the coil's negative or "1" terminal -- the coil should spark as soon as you pull the trigger wire away from the coil's negative or "1" terminal.

mukluk's directions are perfect.
I would just highlight the key point he made, that the ignition coil will trigger a spark when the #1 terminal wire is removed from the coil, not when it is connected. This is not intuitive and catches some off guard.

Completing the electrical circuit thru the #1 and #15 terminals "charges" the coil by creating a magnetic field in the primary winding. When the #1 wire is disconnected (or points OPEN) this field collapses. This induces current in the secondary winding (larger HT center wire) which results in the discharge of a spark.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: No spark from coil Reply with quote

Just don't do it just after you have charged you battery or the fuming hydrogen will cause an explosion. Just ask my why I know!!
1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: