Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

I recently picked up a set of staggered twists, 7” front 8.5” rear. Question is before I start throwing money away, has Anyone fit an 8.5” wide ET50 Porsche wheel to the rear of a super using original width fenders? Will a narrower tire size bring it back under the fender if there’s a bit of poke? Are Different trailing arms and axles used ?? Or is the wheel just too wide?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

Go to https://www.germanlook.net/forums/ and check here. If anyone has done it you will fine plenty of examples here. I once fitted some 16”x 8” Porsche 944 wheels with 225/50 tires to the rear of my slightly lowered 67 beetle. It was a tight fit....had to do some clearancing to the inside and use the natural tuck of the swingaxle to get everything under stock fenders. Absolutely no one in the rear seats and a sudden dip meant inner tires rubbing.
I’m betting you may need a set of CCC 1” fiberglass fenders. To the average non-VW person it won’t be noticed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

Mine only fit with 1.5" widened fenders:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You might get away with it if you stretch some skinnier tires onto the wheels and don't lower it too much. If I hadn't had 255s on there, I think it could have moved inwards closer to the trailing arm maybe 1/2"...

Try stretching a 225 onto the 8.5 and see how it fits? It's not necessarily impossible. It would be easier to fit on a swingaxle car that was lowered, I believe. But you'd want to limit your travel using some Baja style straps, because if the wheel were to droop too far, it'd likely contact the fenders.

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

My rear suspension is same as yours. I narrowed my trail arms by 1-9/16" and used short-side axles from an automatic Type III. You can buy narrowed trail arms, but I'm not sure what the specs are. I'm running 7" in the back, but my offset is positive. I'm tight out at the fender, but have more than an inch inside. If you don't lower it much, you might be able to squeeze it in there but you'll have to get dirty.

DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

I have CCC 1.25” rear fenders with 18”x9” Porsche Boxster rear wheels. Tires are 245/35s. I have a lot of room to pair and plan to install a pr of 255/35 runflats.
The wheels have so much positive offset that I have 1.5” Porsche to Porsche adapters in the back and 1” adapters in the front. Front wheels and tires are 18”x 7.5” with 205/40 tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

I guess the offset and brake setup is going to factor in but what size wheel spacer is everyone using ? This will give me an idea of where to start.

I’ll just be running the factory IRS and trailing arms, drilled drums for now
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

mikeT wrote:
I guess the offset and brake setup is going to factor in but what size wheel spacer is everyone using ? This will give me an idea of where to start.

I forget those have a crazy negative offset. Once you have your 5x130, you could stack washers to mount them where you want and order spacers/adapters accordingly.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 17 x 8.5 Porsche twists in rear Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
mikeT wrote:

I forget those have a crazy negative offset. Once you have your 5x130, you could stack washers to mount them where you want and order spacers/adapters accordingly.

These:
https://www.amazon.com/Centric-Adapters-Spacers-Co...mp;sr=8-18

I’m running 1.5” rear and 1” front spacers. There are also available extra long press in studs like oem that allow the use of extra wide spacers in order to achieve the look/clearance you want/need!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: