Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

She starts but wont run off the choke
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

1974 Standard Beetle 1600

The engine was making a bearing noise and needed a top-end overhaul. I stripped the engine, replaced the bearings, replaced the cylinders and pistons, reassembled with a brand new carburetor. Now the car starts right away and purrs like a kitten but then falls flat as soon as it warms up. I have done everything I can think of and hope you guys can share some wisdom. The list below shows what was done.

-Replaced every bearing but didn't need to grind the crank or replace the cams
-Installed stock size pistons and cylinders. 85.5mm for 69mm cranks
-34PICT-3 Carb at stock settings
-Non vacuum advance distributer
- .006 valve adjustment
-Checked for intake leak by spraying ether around intake manifolds and heads while running
-Swapped the brand new carb for another brand new carb. Same result.

The car can be driven and runs fine when you have your foot in it but will usually stall at stop signs.

Help!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Probably either jetting or carb adjustment. Start by following this procedure:
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

Also, more into in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524576
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Phil

Thank you for these links. I have followed these instructions to the letter multiple times and with two different carbs but still have the same result. In fact, I can not get it to the "carb adjustment phase" because it wont idle when warm.

One thing that perplexes me is Bosch 009 distributer. It almost seems like it is unable to adjust for the slower speeds. Is there any way to know if it is operating correctly?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Who manufactured the carb? EMPI, Chinese clone, Bocar, Solex?

What 009 distributor do you have? EMPI, Kultek, Bosch?

This info might help some of the skilled members here.

Oh and a belated, welcome to the samba!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

The carb is a new EMPI from JBugs.

The distributer looks ancient with no make but the numbers JF4 0 231 178 009

Thanks!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

The EMPI carb might be the problem. Some people have said they have gotten them to work well but many people said they are not fit for a boat anchor.

Did you take the carb apart when you got it and clean all the passages with COMPRESSED air and some good carb cleaner? Or did you just bolt it on? It might be a simple as a clogged idle passage or jet.

You don't adjust the 009 for different speeds.. just set it at 28-30 degrees BTDC @ 3k rpms or full advance. The idle timing *should* fall in the 7.5-10 BTDC range. If it's a Bosch, it will be stamped on the bottom of the bell, next to the shaft.

Even if it is Bosch, it doesn't mean it's any good. It could be worn out, or all gummed up and not advancing correctly.

The aftermarket 009 distributors are all pretty much garbage.

The 009 and the PICT-34 carb are a bad match to start with. It can be workable, but definitely not ideal.
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Indeed I did take the carb apart and clean every orifice. I even tried another PICT-3 carb and had a similar result.

What carb and distributer combination should I use? Is going fully electronic the solution?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

does the idle shutoff solenoid click when power is applied/removed?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

It does. The idle shutoff came brand new with the carb.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Adjust your valves cold, and take a compression reading, you really might be wasting your time.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

If the car magically runs on either ,then you have a metering problem with the idle circuit.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

flyfishernot wrote:

What carb and distributer combination should I use? Is going fully electronic the solution?

Stock performance and simple. A dual port stock 1600 engine loves this combo.

Carb, Solex 34 PICT 3. Get one from VOLKSBITZ. https://www.volkzbitz.com/

Distributor, Bosch 034. Get one from,
Mr. 010, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=633

tasb, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3066

wcfvw69, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=24116
I'd trust any these experienced distributor rebuilder/restorers.

A 34 PICT 3 and an 009 distributor? = Bad combo!
Just sayin!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

did you try putting your old carb back on? process of elimination...
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

When you've used carb cleaner, and compressed air, but still no result, it's time to use a very fine piano wire, and start probing all the passages. As you do this, you will follow the gas up, start at the idle spray at the throttle, then to the idle jet, through the idle jet, and so on up to the float chamber. You'll either find "it", or solve the riddle. It's a primitive yet surefire technique.

You could do a walkthrough.
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I did a compression check this morning and every cylinder had at least 100 psi of compression.

The main problem is I did too many things at once. The old carb was complete junk so I threw it away. After the engine overhaul I put on a brand new carb and kept the same distributer. It ran just fine before the overhaul but after it has this idle problem. Is the EMPI really that much worse than a Solex?

Maybe I will replace the distributor first and see if that helps it to idle however it still feels like a fuel problem to me.

By "walkthrough" do you mean a video?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

A rebuilt original solex is miles better than the empi carb.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
flyfishernot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

I have since removed the motor and looked for an intake leak but found nothing. I tried to order a different distributer from Bill at Sparxwerks.com but he said I needed a new carb instead. So I tried to buy a new carb from Tim at volkzbitz.com but he said it's probably not my carb and suggested I clean out my idle jet and make sure my distributer is installed correctly. Basically, nobody knows what is wrong with my engine so I have made the video below.

https://youtu.be/DNoEmuRMDNg

In it you can see the car starts up just fine and runs smooth until it warms up. Then it falls flat on its face. That has been my problem all along. The carb is at the stock settings and the distributor is close to right.

I have been working on cars for years and have never had a problem like this!
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Is your pre heat clear and working? Very important! You already bought a correct carb, now buy the correct matching distributor. It will never run correctly until you do both along with the stock aircleaner, also with its preheat.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Also check the heat riser hasn't burned through to the intake pipes, and that there aren't cracks where you can't side them when mounted.

Check you have one and only one intake manifold gasket on each side. (they can get mashed and resemble the head itself).

Take the air cleaner off and see if the choke opening correlates with the engine dying.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: She starts but wont run off the choke Reply with quote

Have you removed the idle solenoid and visually observed it working? I bought an Empi carb 6 months ago and the solenoid was bad, performed exactly as you describe. Car would run until off choke and would continue to run if I held the throttle open, but wouldn’t idle.

I rebuilt a Bocar 34pict I had in a parts bucket and not a problem since. Luckily, I purchased the Empi off APrime and returned it, the seller would not send a new solenoid. Learned my Empi lesson.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: