Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greasing Front Beam?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72vwtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Greasing Front Beam? Reply with quote

No, this is not not another "what grease recommendation..."?

I had purchased a stock beam for my 1958 Beetle entirely in pieces. I cleaned it, replaced worn parts, painted it, reassembled and installed the beam. I purchased five tubes of grease to fill my beam. About two tubes into refilling the beam. The grease started to come out of the seals on the side. The problem is that the beam is nowhere near being full of grease. In hindsight I should have probably filled the beam with grease before installing the torsion arms.

I see two possible options:

1. remove the grub screws and try to force grease in
2. Duct tape the seals and continue to insert grease through the zerk fitting, which will hopefully force the grease towards the middle of the beam

Any other options?

Thanks in advance.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing Front Beam? Reply with quote

There is nothing to lube in the middle of the beam (and I assume you slathered the leaves with grease), so if you got good grease flow to the bearings/bushings for the torsion arms, you are good to go. Over time it will migrate into the void, and you'll probably have to add more for the first few lube jobs.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Greasing Front Beam? Reply with quote

You don't fill the entire beam with grease, only the moving parts. Plus, Grease the spring leaves before you install them to prevent rust.

You should grease all the moving parts as you install them. Especially pack the bearings well. After it is together you pump in more grease until it starts to squeeze out and you are done.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: