Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Beetle reliability
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting something with a soft top so that we can take the dogs riding with the top down, hit a brewery on the weekend, etc.
I've shopped Jeep Wranglers, Broncos, convertible air cooled Beetles, etc., but the prices get outrageous for something that's not clapped out.

I don't want anything TOO nice, because the dogs like to get in the river, etc., when we go hiking.

I recently discovered the lift kits for the New Beetle (and other Gold based models). I can see doing something like that to a NB convertible, just for the giggle factor.

Something like this, but with a drop top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But, the more I read about their reliability, including talking with some friends that have owned them, it seems that they can really be a lemon.

Why? Weren't they based on the Golf? And they built a bazillion of those. What's your personal experience?

Are there better engines to look for? Or stay away from?

I figure I can get the car, the lift kit and some wheels and tires for cheaper than a Jeep with 200K miles or a rusty Bronco. Will I regret owning one?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

scott s wrote:
Will I regret owning one?

If you have to ask, you already know the answer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iomalley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

Owned 2 mk4 Jettas, which are mechanically identical to this vintage of new beetle. They were barr none, the most reliable VWs I've ever own! They were 2.0L engined which is nicknamed '2 point slow' while nothing earth shattering, they were bulletproof engines. Only issues are around 200,000 km they will need a waterpump (plastic impeller tends to break around that mileage) and new suspension bushings. I sold them and bought a mk5 jetta, wished I kept the mk4.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

1998 through 2005 of the original Jay Mays design, and 2006 though 2011 for the refresh design.
These cars are old, so the lemons are already in the junkyards.
So by this point in time, it really is all about the care the NBC has received.
Buy one that hasn't been maintained, and you'll be catching up on all that deferred maintenance,
plus whatever damaged the deferred maintenance has done.
Also be aware that the NBC top has a limited lifespan, and will be expensive to replace.
Better to find one where the top has already been replaced.
Mine is a 2005, with 104K miles, and I put a new top on this March, it cost $2500 to get done.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

Beetles are known to be POS from any mechanic that works on them. Comparing them to other VW's is a poor comparison. The convertibles are worst.

If you are thinking about buying one to 'hit the brewery's' I suggest to you to bring a 6 pack and buy a AAA membership. Then you can enjoy a beer while waiting for the tow truck. Be aware, keep the keys out of the ignition so you do not get hit up with a DUI. You are not operating the vehicle if the keys are out.
vwjunkie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

504,xxx on our 2000 TDI NB and still going. Yeah, it is a real POS...... NOT!!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

How many times have you had the top down?
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Beetle reliability Reply with quote

the automatics in those cars ranged from great to terrible....my sons 2000 had close to 300k with no issues (other than a slight final drive cover leak that i was too lazy to change and just kept topping off the gear oil)....my wifes 04 has randomly slammed into second gear for many years now and my moms 99 with less than 30k bucks from the lockup converter kicking in and out...if you put a timing belt and water pump (german conti with metal impeller) in every 60k a 2.0 will run forever...2.5's have the timing chains on the transmission end requiring you the drop the trans to change them so most people just run them till they die or sell them when they start making noise...the new beetles style over function design makes most repairs more difficult than a comparable golf or jetta as the corners of the engine compartment are severly rounded off and the engine is tucked back under the cowl and windshield
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: