Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had some time for my '58 low light today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hey Folks

Canadian Thanksgiving today so Happy Thanksgiving to all no matter where you are. And look what came home today from Brian's shop ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And now working on the door panels.

The seats look so nice.

Dave
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

They look awesome! Can't wait to see how they look matched up to that beautiful paint color on your Ghia!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Looks nice.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Beautiful. They look amazing!

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc

Last edited by Marcdeb on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

They look amazing in those colours.
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hey Folks

As I work away on my interior, I would like to know what was used to cover the rear tray behind the rear window? Would this be the grey vinyl that was used on the seats or a piece of the headliner ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Vinyl, same as the seats.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:
Hey Folks

As I work away on my interior, I would like to know what was used to cover the rear tray behind the rear window? Would this be the grey vinyl that was used on the seats or a piece of the headliner ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

A shaped piece of pressed cardboard that I believe was shaped to round up towards the window covered with vinyl. Same color as seat vinyl.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

You can see it in this photo of my interior:

The bieges are the same across all the pieces.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Attach photos of pieces from my Brilliant red 59.
As You can se those pieces are not covered in vinyl. Its the same material the trunk liner is made of.
The extra two are from a Peilkan red 57.
I think those pieces were covered in vinyl on 55-56:s though.
The mat is also the correct one for 58-59 models. Sort of velour I would say.

Cheers/Jonas

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Oh, those pieces!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Attach photos of pieces from my Brilliant red 59.
As You can se those pieces are not covered in vinyl. Its the same material the trunk liner is made of.
The extra two are from a Peilkan red 57.
I think those pieces were covered in vinyl on 55-56:s though.
The mat is also the correct one for 58-59 models. Sort of velour I would say.

Cheers/Jonas

Those 4 pieces are UNDER the package tray
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Maybe its some missunderstanding from me then.
The pieces (two per car) goes in the backseat and under the parcel tray (over the wheel arches) and that were the pieces I thought you were discussing.
The parcel tray itself is covered in the same vinyl as the seats, correct Wink
Sorry if I missunderstood Confused

/J
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Maybe its some missunderstanding from me then.
The pieces (two per car) goes in the backseat and under the parcel tray (over the wheel arches) and that were the pieces I thought you were discussing.
The parcel tray itself is covered in the same vinyl as the seats, correct Wink
Sorry if I missunderstood Confused

/J

The under window piece is in Trylon’s photo on the left. Those under tray pieces are hard to find, or were when I needed them.
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi Folks

More beautiful work by Brian

And the carpet set from TMI arrived. No instructions or plan so I had to try to fit things, by looking at the many picture son this site. I've got new wind lacing yet to install and then maybe piece by piece I can start glueing in the carpet.

Still lots to do..
Dave
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Good morning all

Well, it's morning here in western Canada as I write this.

I put the car down on its wheels for the first time in many, many years. It looks pretty darn good although the nose seems high but that is a Ghia thing I think. Maybe I'l use some drop spindles. What do you think?

And here is a picture of my first real attempt at getting the carpet and windlace to fit.

I'm told by a local VW friend that there is a cardboard piece that first over the heater tube to give the footwell a nice shape and cover the pipe. I don't have those nor have I ever seen one. Can someone show me what they look like? I think that I will have to fabricate them myself, some dimensions or pictures of what they look like would be useful.

I keep chipping away at the project, making small steps.

Dave
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Thought mine was a bit high but seems lower than yours:

No spare tire to help it down in this photo btw.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Duncan67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:
Good morning all

Well, it's morning here in western Canada as I write this.

I put the car down on its wheels for the first time in many, many years. It looks pretty darn good although the nose seems high but that is a Ghia thing I think. Maybe I'l use some drop spindles. What do you think?

And here is a picture of my first real attempt at getting the carpet and windlace to fit.

I'm told by a local VW friend that there is a cardboard piece that first over the heater tube to give the footwell a nice shape and cover the pipe. I don't have those nor have I ever seen one. Can someone show me what they look like? I think that I will have to fabricate them myself, some dimensions or pictures of what they look like would be useful.

I keep chipping away at the project, making small steps.

Dave

Dave, contact Sew Fine for the cardboard pieces that cover the heater tubes. I was able to get them for my Ghia a few years ago. I hope this helps.
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Duncan

Thank you - I found them in their catalog and will contact them on Monday.

Dave
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

The car will sit lower once you get some weight in it and drive it. You don’t need lowered spindles. It will give you a rougher ride.
Your car would have had bulkhead mats originally which would have formed around the tubes, later cars came with a paperboard piece which also incorporated controls for the heater.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 32

Jump to: