Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

Speculating on the country adopting stricter emissions control standards and acting like that is a bad thing, is completely selfish. Everyone knows internal combustion engines will soon be a thing of the past. Our kids and grandkids will forever be wondering why we were such assholes to the environment.

you've never seen how lithium is mined, have you? look at mines that have closed to epic runoff issues...

https://www.wideopencountry.com/picher-oklahoma/

yes, oil has drawbacks as well, but isn't as harmful in it's natural form as people believe

mark my words...the "green new deal" bullshit is going to hurt the poor the hardest....you know the families just scraping by with a 1800.00 beater...yea, those guys

there is no free lunch. electronic waste will be a huge issue, mark my words...when we are shipping this shit by ocean to some shithole village where they will die "recycling" this shit.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/05/indonesia-s-toxic-toll/

and please don't kid yourself thinking "well, we can do better" because it will ALL get farmed out to a place deemed as 3rd world.....like it always does.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

I have to say I would probably give this a shot once I grenade my 78's 2.0. Looks like a decent kit.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

Any plans to just sell manual?
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:
Any plans to just sell manual?

Like the installation manual? We are going to post it on the website to view. It really is more of an install guide for our proprietary parts. It won't help install a Subaru motor without the kit.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
Is there an early bay kit in the works? Are you going to sell any of the parts separately, like the engine mount?

Its cool that this finally happened. Good job.

We will eventually sell the parts individually. No plans on early Bay stuff right now. We have a bunch of other stuff consuming the R&D pipe line. The engine mount won't work for the early Bay either.
[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

Sorry for going off topic on Regis

Congrats on getting the kit out; I hope you make some coin on this for your troubles and people get the ride they want.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

What exactly is the wire harness service?
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
What exactly is the wire harness service?

We modify the customer supplied Subaru engine management harness to fit in the Bay window so it is neat and tidy and serviceable.
[email protected]

airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

Thank you for putting this together. With the T4 getting way too spendy to build (properly), and the Subaru conversions being either too homebrew to replicate or hidden away from prying eyes to understandably protect the time investment some have made on doing them, it's great to have a proper kit option that starts showing everyone how this can work without a years worth of trial and error.

From what I recall I think the RayBee* setup also went with the dual radiator bay setup and not the belly style, so it certainly was known to be possible if you got the combo right.

What about gearing? Is there any recommendation to change gearing depending on the year trans folks are running? Or tire size changes to obtain more ideal gearing?

As SGKent mentioned, we've got two potential POTUS's who are older than dirt, and one of them with the apparent diet of a 20 YO fast food junkie, so the next VP's may be in charge of upcoming regulations.
Not that anything will actually change, but I guess were mentioning it

Happy to be back in a state where it's anything goes.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

Speculating on the country adopting stricter emissions control standards and acting like that is a bad thing, is completely selfish. Everyone knows internal combustion engines will soon be a thing of the past. Our kids and grandkids will forever be wondering why we were such assholes to the environment.

you've never seen how lithium is mined, have you? look at mines that have closed to epic runoff issues...

https://www.wideopencountry.com/picher-oklahoma/

yes, oil has drawbacks as well, but isn't as harmful in it's natural form as people believe

mark my words...the "green new deal" bullshit is going to hurt the poor the hardest....you know the families just scraping by with a 1800.00 beater...yea, those guys

there is no free lunch. electronic waste will be a huge issue, mark my words...when we are shipping this shit by ocean to some shithole village where they will die "recycling" this shit.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/05/indonesia-s-toxic-toll/

and please don't kid yourself thinking "well, we can do better" because it will ALL get farmed out to a place deemed as 3rd world.....like it always does.

Actually I have. Might want to look into yourself instead of posting a link to an old LEAD mine. Fact of the matter is, the world is quickly moving away from fossil fuels. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. Maybe it's hard for you to grasp, but 3-400 years from now nobody is gonna give a shit about your bus. Probably a hell of a lot sooner than that.

If you have some magic answer that isn't electric transportation, go for it. You will be a trillionaire if you can figure it out. In the meantime let me put the entire world's top energy and transportation scientists on hold while you get back to me on that answer.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

RMW - great kit - good job. There will be people who benefit.

Ralph _ I agree with you, lithium will be hauled off by the:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

California can't even keep the lights on in many areas. We are a 3rd world country these days.
badstuw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

Do you provide a list of what would be required from the donor vehicle?
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

badstuw wrote:

Yeah, we can help you there. Alex is our Subaru conversion guy. The best way to get that is email [email protected]
[email protected]

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

badstuw wrote:

Poster is in California. Year engine will require passing smog because engine will be post 1975. There are some threads in the Vanagon forum and also found thru google as to what is needed to pass smog with a sub conversion.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
words

you're missing the point...

as steve points out the current infrastructure can't handle it, PERIOD. we are years....decades away from it.

if every house had to convert to full electric for heat/hot water it would be impossible to do in 100 years...if you started today.

guess what's being burnt going green? you got...fuel.

the lead mine was just an example Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Maybe it's hard for you to grasp, but 3-400 years from now nobody is gonna give a shit about your bus. Probably a hell of a lot sooner than that.

you win, I bow to your internet prowess

I hope green bullshit takes off...we are talking to a solar company that wants to do a 20 year lease on our property.....

1k acres, 800 of them ready to go. 2k/year per acre lease...2000 x 800=1,600,000 per year for 20 years... sign me the fuck up Very Happy you think i'm obnoxious now? wait till I have money to burn...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

Net fossil fuel consumption worldwide is growing, not ebbing.

We are still a long way from getting away from ICE and certainly not in the lifetime of anyone on this forum.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
badstuw wrote:

Yeah, we can help you there. Alex is our Subaru conversion guy. The best way to get that is email [email protected]

I feel dumb asking this, is this kit without the engine? like I need to source a crate 2.2 or 2.5 plus this kit? I have a 2.5 donor forrester but the engine is going.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
badstuw wrote:

I feel dumb asking this, is this kit without the engine? like I need to source a crate 2.2 or 2.5 plus this kit? I have a 2.5 donor forrester but the engine is going.

Yes, you’ll need to source an engine.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
RMW - great kit - good job. There will be people who benefit.

Ralph _ I agree with you, lithium will be hauled off by the:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

California can't even keep the lights on in many areas. We are a 3rd world country these days.

Your ignorance will get you nowhere. I'm sure you have a much better plan than the thousands of scientists who study these topics on a daily basis.

I'm also sure they are really thinking of you and your enormous plight when have to spend an extra $800 to make your 1970s bus not pollute the shit out of the air.
badstuw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Subaru Conversion kit. The rumor is a reality Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
badstuw wrote:

Poster is in California. Year engine will require passing smog because engine will be post 1975. There are some threads in the Vanagon forum and also found thru google as to what is needed to pass smog with a sub conversion.

I have a 73, no requirement for smog on the vehicle. Good to go!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: