Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midas79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 1980 vanagon that doesn’t run. I have discovered a VW 1600cc aircooled for sale and thought about using that to do an engine swap. I am inexperienced in this area and didn’t know If anyone had any input on if that would be a good idea or if it would even fit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

To get it moving around the parking lot, you could probably get a 1600 to work. You won't get the engine hatch back on and without some serious sealing of the engine compartment, it will overheat.

A better fit would be an engine from a VW wagon or fastback of that era. Congrats on the purchase. No reason you can't put a water cooled engine in there.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

Congratulations. I can’t imagine a 1600 pushing a heavy ass Vanagon around Shocked plus it’s not going to be plug and play. Transmission to engine will need some modifications and I’m not sure if the transmission gear ratios will play nicely with a 1600 air cooled engine. I’m no expert. Just thinking out loud.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

iirc the flywheel starter teeth won't be in the right location. you would need to swap the bellhousing over to a 002 early bay bellhousing.

i'm not sure on clutch disc. that should be fine.
input shafts much match the bellhousing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

Not sure how this is done in a Vanagon. This is just to give you an idea what’s involved with a type 4 to type 1 engine swap in a Bay window bus.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

We kind of jumped in on the swap, but neglected to ask about the current engine and condition. What's the problem you are experiencing with the current motor causing it to not run?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

A 1600 will have something like 30-40% less torque, in a vehicle that is already torque challenged you are not likely to be very happy with the results. The engine should bolt right up to the Vanagon bellhousing excepting that you would need a shorter input shaft, but you would have to build custom rear engine mounting system. Sealing the engine compartment will be a major project.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

I believe a variant of the 1600 was originally offered in these vans. It used weird hybrid 1.6/WBX type case and a type 4-ish fan and shrouding. Really an oddball design. VW should've just used their tried and true inline engines and left all the pointless boxer R&D in the bank account.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

in other world markets a vehicle is taxed based on it's engine displacement.
makes the smaller engines more attractive in those markets.
the 1.6 CS series engine is definitely an oddball
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

My first Vanagon, was an 83 --- last of the Air-cools, if I remember correctly. I got it in the spring of 1985 ... drove it to Alaska 7 times through 2003 as well as to Key West, Florida and up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway a few times.

It is now semi-mothballed. However, everything is still there and I believe I could have it running in three or four hours! (not for sale)

That 2.0 engine is a beast in my opinion. The Transmission is the DK code with the rather tall 4.57 R&P. So, a typical 1600, as someone suggested, will not have the torque to push it on down the road!

So, I'd stick with the OE engine! You can find all the parts necessary to bring it back to life, including keeping the fuel injection system!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980 Vanagon Reply with quote

It not wise to try swapping in a 1600 or 1776 or any other upright air cooled engine. Serious power loss. You'd be spending money and not getting any gratification in the end.
If your swapping go with a watercooled VW or a Subaru engine or the popular ford swap.
You want more horses, not less.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: