Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Bug front seat belt hardware
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

I had purchased a 67 bug rust bucket for parts and got a fairly nice (compared to what I see in the classifieds) set of front seat belts. I removed them and got the attaching hardware and unfortunately other seat belt hardware cad plated. So I had the original hardware and miscellaneous hardware mixed (my bad) so hadn't installed yet.
I recently stumbled on a near NOS set of 67 seat belts (wahoo - beautiful plastic housing/lobster claws and they work perfectly) for my 67 and wanted to install but not sure of correct hardware and order of assembly (sounds like my distributor link I just posted).
I searched and saw a couple pics of belts/hardware but they didn't seem complete compared to what I remembered removing and my bag of plated parts. Anybody have a pic/breakdown of the correct 67 front seat belt hardware and assembly order?
Thanks,
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

First off, congratulations on an excellent seatbelt find. You may want to consider posting pictures in the gallery, as (one day) it would be nice to be able to recreate these, and most of the survivors have chips broken off of the ends.

This may or may not answer your question (as I don't currently have my seat belts mounted), but I have the following pictures. I believe the second probably shows the order, but perhaps someone can verify.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Thanks Harry! I am photobucket challenged but will look into finally posting pics. I will have to post a pic of my hardware because I think there were a couple parts I took off the 67 car that aren't in your pic.
Dave
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Piggy backing on this thread. My '67 had the original seatbelts, the three point type but the were just trashed.

I picked up some Type 3 seat lap belts that are the same lobster claw. Does anyone know the differences between type 3 and type 1 belts?

Congrats on finding some NOS belts - I absolutely love finding all the '67 specific goodies.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Thanks Harry! I am photobucket challenged but will look into finally posting pics. I will have to post a pic of my hardware because I think there were a couple parts I took off the 67 car that aren't in your pic.
Dave

I think it's best to post the pics directly into thesamba. Here's a nice write up on step by step how to upload them:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Here's a 'curveball' with regards to 1967 seat belts. These were in the classified ads the other day, but note the subtle differences in the plastic sheaths and the mounting brackets. Could the squarish bracket ones be for the Type 3 or yet another variation for the beetle?

These below are for the convertible, a completely different and shorter design also shared with '67 Ghia

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

My '67 Bug had 3-point belts in the front. I bought it in 1981. It was a US delivery Bug, not German nor even a fly-n-drive vacation German delivery Bug like my '65 (which came with 3 point belts all around and a locking steering column).

The PO was NOT a car guy nor a VW guy. The belts were pretty sad looking then, so between those factors, I doubt that they had been replaced. The lap belts looked just like the near set in the pic above. The shoulder belt clipped onto the lap belt at the lobster claw with a stud that hooked into an 'L' shaped slot in the lobster claw that I'm not seeing in these photos above.

In the late 80s, I replaced the belts with a new set that I didn't like as well as the originals. But the originals had broken plastic, the lobster claws were sketchy and sometimes would not latch and sometimes were difficult to unlatch, even with silicon lube. The retractors were almost non-functional. So simply re-webbing them would not have fixed the problems. The aftermarket replacements were sold as being for '67 Bug and included shoulder belts, but deleted the chrome hoop on the tunnel and used American style tongue and center button latch on a short belt to bolt to the tunnel. With no support for those short belts, they were ALWAYS falling down between the seat and tunnel.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Here's a 'curveball' with regards to 1967 seat belts. These were in the classified ads the other day, but note the subtle differences in the plastic sheaths and the mounting brackets. Could the squarish bracket ones be for the Type 3 or yet another variation for the beetle?

These below are for the convertible, a completely different and shorter design also shared with '67 Ghia

The Black (Long sheath) seat belts are Type 3 for sure. As far as I know, Type 1 Klippan seat belts were always white sheathed except for convertibles which had the same reel as the Ghia. In similar fashion every type 3 one that I've seen is black.

I've always thought the black looked better myself so if I had a sedan I'd be using the type 3 ones or painting the white ones black.
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

67conv,
You are right - the two sets I have are slightly different from each other (the mounting holes/brackets are the most apparent).
Dave
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the hardware that came along with an NOS right front seat belt that I acquired.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Been a while on this post but I figured I'd get around to posting a couple pics. The old looking set (KL-MOD-I 1966) I got when I purchased a whole 67 bug and retained.

The other (ASE- MOD-I-1967) I got responding to a Craig's list ad. When I got there, someone had told him he was asking too little and he jacked the price up on me. I selected a box with some later model seat belts and misc. on top and a couple items (NOS stainless Bus emblem) and other boxes but left the rest.
Got home a bit aggravated until I found out what was at the bottom of the box.
Not so upset!
Both sets function fine.
Sometimes fate smiles on you.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Wow, those cleaned up nicely...
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

They sure did - Sorry about photo quality.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

daven wrote:

How did you repair the tops of the black covers? I would love to fix my chips like you did for yours!
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

UH - no fixes on the good set - original
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Wow nice setup. Still working on mine. Hope to be road worthy in the spring.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
daven wrote:

How did you repair the tops of the black covers? I would love to fix my chips like you did for yours!

Harry, If you need some black covers let me know. I've got 5-10 sets of '67 belts. We can find ya a nearmint to mint pair. The only hard part would be the rivet.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Harry, If you need some black covers let me know. I've got 5-10 sets of '67 belts. We can find ya a nearmint to mint pair. The only hard part would be the rivet.

Thanks, Jos - I appreciate the offer. I do have some better black covers to put on mine, so I think I'm set, I was just interested in how my old ones might be able to be repaired (which I had put at a lost cause, due to their plastic nature).
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

3D printing?
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Bug front seat belt hardware Reply with quote

daven wrote:
3D printing?

I don't think 3-D printing is quite to the state where we could make a satisfactory reproduction of this (we could get the shape, but not the texture/pattern). The parts that normally break are high stress areas near the tips of the claw of the lobster claw handle, so I don't think glue would work. I was at a loss on repair ideas, so I was excited when I thought you had solved the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: