Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 VW Pickup 5 speed install-Can't get 5th gear to engage
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: 81 VW Pickup 5 speed install-Can't get 5th gear to engage Reply with quote

I installed an 81 VW Pickup 5 speed in my 82 VW Pickup in order to replace its 4 speed transmission. Gears one through 4 engage and reverse does too. I used the 82 existing 4 speed shifter on the 81 5 speed transmission and can't engage 5th gear. If I need to use the 81's 5 speed shifter to solve my problem, please advise. Can someone please help me solve this problem?
Thanks
arne2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 VW Pickup 5 speed install-Can't get 5th gear to engage Reply with quote

Shift linkage for 4 and 5 speeds is different. Several of the parts are not interchangeable. You need to use Mk1 5 speed linkage parts.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 81 VW Pickup 5 speed install-Can't get 5th gear to engage Reply with quote

If the linkage is tight, with some finesse, you can make the 4 speed linkage work. But, best to get the few 5 speed parts to swap in and then it'll be super easy.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 81 VW Pickup 5 speed install-Can't get 5th gear to engage Reply with quote

I would agree. My first 5 speed conversion I was able to adjust the ratio of the shifter by lengthening/shortening the levers. Basically, you need to lengthen the left right throw of the shifter to move the transmission side further to get to the 5th gear. You'll need some type of welder.

It is simpler to get the right linkage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: