Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

My car is a bit of a Frankenstein.

It seems to have the right bits for the most part but it’s a bit of a mystery what some of them are.

I was trying to ID my beam tonight and found some rust holes I didn’t like.

What beam is this? The drums are 4 bolt.

Should I be worried about this rust? The passenger side is worst.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

Later model ball joint beam. Weld some patches on it and drive it. What year is this car supposed to be?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

It is a 60 but the engine and trans are 70...
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

Sounds like the body might be a '60, but the pan is later. Ball joint front end came out in '66, and IRS rear in '69. Seems like its not just the engine and trans that are '70.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

VIN number on pan will tell you what year pans is that will validate the BJ front end.... VIN on pan probably does not match VIN in spare tire well...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

Well it’s definitely a newer pan... it doesn’t have IRS so I have the worst of both worlds.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

When you said the trans was a '70, I assumed IRS.
Well, dont automatically discount the ball joint/swing axle set up. I have a fiberglass buggy thats on a '67 pan, so same thing. While I eventually changed the swing axle to IRS, if I had it to do over, I would have left it alone. I used this buggy all over Glamis, took it to car shows, explored trails all over Big Bear, towed it behind a motorhome and drove it all thru Yosemite, my wife picked the kids up from school, and it worked great. Its a very simple, trouble free combination.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

unclebilly wrote:
Well it’s definitely a newer pan... it doesn’t have IRS so I have the worst of both worlds.

For a general purpose buggy(street/off road/occasional auto X) the is noting wrong with what you have... Please explain "worst" comment.... I have had buggies with full BJ/IRs and now only one with SA/K&L and quite frankly and don't find either much superiors over the other for general purpose.... Only exception is BJ/IRS was a bit better in hardcore Auto-X car....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

Based on what I have read, LinkPin / IRS is the most desirable setup. I have Ball Joint / Swing Axle.

The car is used 90% off road on our farm (my 10 year old drives it instead of the quad or his dirt bike most of the time).

I am not going to patch this beam - you can see daylight through the uprights, I will replace it.

Should I get a widened beam or keep it stock width?

It is worth upgrading to a link pin setup? I would probably use the adapter plates that HBB recommended against in the suspension sticky above (the car isnt going jumping).

The beam repair / upgrade will be a winter project and we will continue to use it 'as is' until then.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

Sounds like you should get a stock replacement as you said its only being used on your farm. If you go wider in the front you have to go wider in the rear which would mean going to IRS and then you're spending a lot of money on a farm bug lol people want link pin and IRS because you can get more travel out of them for things like jumping Wink
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

unclebilly wrote:
Based on what I have read, LinkPin / IRS is the most desirable setup. I have Ball Joint / Swing Axle.

The car is used 90% off road on our farm (my 10 year old drives it instead of the quad or his dirt bike most of the time).

I am not going to patch this beam - you can see daylight through the uprights, I will replace it.

Should I get a widened beam or keep it stock width?

It is worth upgrading to a link pin setup? I would probably use the adapter plates that HBB recommended against in the suspension sticky above (the car isnt going jumping).

The beam repair / upgrade will be a winter project and we will continue to use it 'as is' until then.

VW never produced a bug with a link pin front end and an IRS rear end. All of Baja bugs and buggies you see with a Link pin front and IRS rear were modified at one end or the other. Changing either end, or both ends is a doable project and there are advantages to all of the different options. Weigh all your options along with the intended use of the car and decide what works best for you. The ball joint beams have different diameter tubes and they are spaced apart differently than the link pin. It is not a simple swap the beam deal. Have fun with the car and enjoy
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

If you use it in the woods, keep it skinny.
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

The pan was built in Oct 65 so I’m guessing it’s an early 66.

I thought I found a good beam but it was rusted through like mine. I’m just going to patch mine up on the car.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

You can do external patches on the shock towers out of 1/8" plate. You can do a wrap reinforcement around the perimeter of the tower with 1" x 3/16" strap. But when you're welding to the beam tubes, the weld heat can destroy the trailing arm bearings. And your reinforcement SHOULD be welded to the beam tubes. You can remove the bearings (carefully to not destroy them with that) while welding.

Bearings can be replaced with urethane bushings. But having just put a set of current urethane bushings in my own beam, I DO NOT recommend the current ones. They're very soft rubbery junk, not the solid nearly hard ones that used to be sold. Delrin bushings are probably OK.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

Instead of patching mine, should I replace the beam with a new one? If yes, who makes a stock BJ beam that isn’t lowered and is stock width?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6286.htm
Only $340 Shocked

Maybe I should sell the one I have in my back yard?

Caramba!
Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My beam is rusty and I don’t know what it is... Reply with quote

unclebilly wrote:
Instead of patching mine, should I replace the beam with a new one? If yes, who makes a stock BJ beam that isn’t lowered and is stock width?

In reality either way works fine. If you like to weld things go to town, or just spend $50 on a barebone beam and move everything over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: