Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Spring Reply with quote

I'm installing the throttle ring mechanism in my vw.
I don't understand how the spring should work.
As I have it now the spring pushes the ring away from the fan shroud.
The spring has got a lot of rension.
The thermostat doesn't seem to have enough power to move the ring towards the shroud.
Is this normal?
I should think the spring should work the other way....
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Reply with quote

The thermostat bellows actually is contracted on a cool engine... as the engine heats up the bellows expands and then the ring begins moving away from the fan opening. Sounds like you have it assembled correctly. The ring should in fact want to stay in the open position, the thermostat bellows when installed correctly should hold everything closed... as it heats and expands the ring will open to allow cooling air to enter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Reply with quote

Ok this is clear to me.
Still i find the spring having much tension ...
Of course,one could discuss what is the rest position?
Looking at the spring ,it is tbe open position So the thermostat keeps the ring closed whenever the motor is cold..So most of the time..
Still a bit strange to me.

Thanks
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Reply with quote

There's good information on the thermostat ring over in the oval section. This link has some pictures of the parts involved
Cheers!
Mike
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Reply with quote

Have you adjusted the throttle ring position? It can be a bit tricky to do with the motor in the car.

The thermostat needs to be expanded to touch the top of its bracket, either with a heat gun or by removing the thermostat mounting bolt while applying tension at the ring (hard to do with stale air heater box in place but not impossible). Remove the spring, loosen the ring clamp bolt and adjust the ring so that the top of it is about 10mm away from the fan shroud. Tighten the bolt and attach the spring, it will move the ring further away from the fan shroud. Your final measurement should be about 20mm, if not then remove the spring and adjust the ring again, a little trial and error here will get it done.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Reply with quote

Great. Thanks. All clear now.
And yes , the spring must turn the ring outwards in case of thermostat failure.Of course.
I hadn't thought about that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: