Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose steering and alignment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

I just invested in a 1991 vanagon I bought recently. All bushings and bearings replaced, upgraded to new Michelin Defender 16" wheels. Sticker shock caused me to pass on a new steering rack because I was told it was fine for now. Drives really well and I do not see or feel any perceptible pull, steering column wobble etc. BusLab did a great job.

Here's the rub. After wheels put on I was told to go and get it aligned. The recommended alignment shop would not complete the alignment because they felt there was too much looseness in the steering rack. So.... perhaps a big mistake not having that taken care of at the same time.

My question is whether I really need to get it aligned if it feels good and is not pulling. The wheel is crooked probably from previous misalignment but is that just cosmetic now that I have the new bushings/bearings etc. I understand that alignments are not perfect anyway on vanagons if you don't align with the proper or usual loading anyway (e.g. two people of typical passenger weight sitting in the front seat).

So to save/delay an estimated $1,000 on a new steering rack am I being pound foolish and compromising my expensive tires. Can I tell whether or not I need an alignment? [e.g. if I release the wheel in a flat area it doesn't drift).

Thanks!
Denise
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

I'd find someone that knows vanagons. If there is play at the rack, it would be the inner tierods or the mounting bushings which don't require a new rack. If the rack is leaking power steering fluid, then is the time to replace the rack.

Camber adjustment, not affected by the rack is a pretty forgiving spec. You should be able to set the toe right to spec.

There is a very good thread titled DIY alignment. I do something similar to get to my alignment shop.

You won't know if your alignment is really out till the tires start wearing. By then it is too late.
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. BusLab in Oakland will do the work for me. Not really knowing until tires start wearing was enough for me not to be penny wise, pound foolish.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Agree with Mark. Have some good eyes on it to confirm it's not just a tie rod - perhaps the buslab folks? Let me guess - the alignment shop offered to put a new rack on? Just generating business.

Alignment shops in my area will listen to me say "hey, my Audi is 30 years old and I get it won't be perfect - can you align it so I can enjoy driving this classic without $2000 worth of bushings and a new steering rack?". And they'll do a great job. Yes there are alignment shops that are part of national chains that will not deviate from their lawyer written policies and will only work on a car that's new and near perfect. Sounds like you found one.

Don't despair. I could tell you in 5 minutes where the slack is by laying on a towel while you wiggle the steering wheel and I feel each component in turn. And I'm not in the business. You need someone like that and obviously Buslab is up to that with ease.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

While I have your attention (I am the novice and you are clearly experienced), is the Burley swing-away easy to install? I upgraded to the Defender 16" and as far as I can tell there is no under-carriage solution for this size of tire.

From what I have read the Van Cafe (Rocky Mountain) solution is good but not that easy to install. BusLab has a $1000 Austrian-made solution but I'd also have to pay for them to install it as it is a bit tricky to align apparently.

I am leaning towards the Burley as being sturdy and easy to use.

Thanks!
Denise
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Thanks IdahoDoug for your words of comfort!

I keep thinking there can't possibly be anything else to replace and then....
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

ddowsett wrote:
While I have your attention (I am the novice and you are clearly experienced), is the Burley swing-away easy to install? I upgraded to the Defender 16" and as far as I can tell there is no under-carriage solution for this size of tire.

From what I have read the Van Cafe (Rocky Mountain) solution is good but not that easy to install. BusLab has a $1000 Austrian-made solution but I'd also have to pay for them to install it as it is a bit tricky to align apparently.

I am leaning towards the Burley as being sturdy and easy to use.

Thanks!
Denise

It is the numbers on the side of the tire from which you can determine its physical size, say 205/65r16.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

16 x 205's can be mounted in the clamshell with a simple no weld mod. I recently did it.

Duncan
ddowsett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Dear Duncan:

Late replying to your post about your clamshell mod to fit 16/205. I just made it to New Jersey from California after a 20-day road trip. The vanagon handled very well with just the new tires, bushings and bearings, and aligning to the best of the shop's capability.

I still do not have a spare tire carrier; I'm having difficulty pulling the trigger on $600-$1000 swing-aways before installation. So I just put the tire in back and pulled it out and in when I camped.

I would be very interested in more detail about your clamshell mod if there are any instructions. Thank you in advance.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

ddowsett wrote:
Dear Duncan:

Late replying to your post about your clamshell mod to fit 16/205. I just made it to New Jersey from California after a 20-day road trip. The vanagon handled very well with just the new tires, bushings and bearings, and aligning to the best of the shop's capability.

I still do not have a spare tire carrier; I'm having difficulty pulling the trigger on $600-$1000 swing-aways before installation. So I just put the tire in back and pulled it out and in when I camped.

I would be very interested in more detail about your clamshell mod if there are any instructions. Thank you in advance.

Same here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

ddowsett wrote:
I just invested in a 1991 vanagon I bought recently.

welcome to the madness....hopefully your returns are judged by enjoyment not $

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

I just did that modification, but had some different results than others. I think the common element is pulling out the steel bars that create the top slice of bread of the "sandwich" around the stock spare tire. These are also the pins on the hinge for the clamshell, so you'll have to replace those with bolts. Can't remember the spec of those bolts off hand. And once you get the tire up there, the tire being significantly wider than previous stock spare, you'll need a spacer for the bolt securing the front of the clamshell. BenTSyncro makes longer latches as well, but I haven't done that part yet.

Post and pix here. Including dimensions of that bay from a 1985 2wd westy.

Sorry, forgot to mention the tire was a 205, but 15 inch.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Since the alignment shop advised that there was "too much looseness" in the steering rack, is it possible that Buslab did not replace the factory bushings that mount the steering rack? When I replaced my factory steering rack bushings with urethane units, the improvement in steering feel was night and day. Obviously, some of the hard parts (pinion, tie rod ends) can wear, but the Vanagon rack is generally a sturdy unit not prone to significant wear. Leaks are another matter . . .
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Since the alignment shop advised that there was "too much looseness" in the steering rack, is it possible that Buslab did not replace the factory bushings that mount the steering rack? When I replaced my factory steering rack bushings with urethane units, the improvement in steering feel was night and day. Obviously, some of the hard parts (pinion, tie rod ends) can wear, but the Vanagon rack is generally a sturdy unit not prone to significant wear. Leaks are another matter . . .

This ^^^ and I highly agree that the steering rack mount bushings will make a massive difference in handling assuming the tie rods, ball joints and control arm bushings are up to snuff...Go for the whiteline bushings, cheaper than Powerflex bushings and BUSLAB should be able to source the OEM Steering column bushings.

We invested in a lifetime alignment through Firestone shops (nationwide) and they have always done a good job when needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
Howesight wrote:

This ^^^ and I highly agree that the steering rack mount bushings will make a massive difference in handling assuming the tie rods, ball joints and control arm bushings are up to snuff...Go for the whiteline bushings, cheaper than Powerflex bushings and BUSLAB should be able to source the OEM Steering column bushings.

We invested in a lifetime alignment through Firestone shops (nationwide) and they have always done a good job when needed.

the bushings will be amazing. these will have you VERY happy for the price of a fancy burger and its a job most can do themselves https://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-W13377/dp/B00KYSA...en+Vanagon

ditto on Firestone lifetime alignment....going of almost 20 years now Wink

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Squidfish wrote:
Howesight wrote:

the bushings will be amazing. these will have you VERY happy for the price of a fancy burger and its a job most can do themselves https://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-W13377/dp/B00KYSA...en+Vanagon

ditto on Firestone lifetime alignment....going of almost 20 years now Wink

BTW, that Amazon price is less than the factory. Whiteline/Nolothane are the same company . I replaces all my bushings with Nolotahne and the ride is like a modern car
https://nolathane-usa.myshopify.com/collections/all/1980-volkswagen-vanagon-campmobile-esi8171176

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose steering and alignment Reply with quote

$1000 to replace a PS rack seems quite high to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: