Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifter Noise
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter Noise Reply with quote

Righteous! Thank you!
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter Noise Reply with quote

YEARS Ago...Like in 1985, there was an old school mechanic who was working on my 1969 International Harvester Scout. He was quite old. He left the oil in there and added about a quart (I don't really remember how much) and let it run for like 20 minutes or so. Then he drained all of the oil out of it. I don't think that the Scout had hydraulic lifters. He was just trying to clean all of the crap out of the motor. Really seemed to help. The oil pressure went up a bunch and the fuel economy was very good. I'd imagine that it would work about as well as the diesel trick. I really like the idea of the diesel. Makes sense.
Vapor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter Noise Reply with quote

Safe to assume that you add the # of quarts of diesel that you would # of quarts of oil minus whatever is in the filter?

I've heard of ATF being used for oil in an engine to clean things up but never diesel. Is the main motive the lower cost of diesel versus ATF and/or diesel working better?

What's the mystery in marvel mystery oil? In comparison to sea foam etc?

Any risks of damaging the catalytic converter or other components (emissions or otherwise) with diesel, ATF or other substances?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter Noise Reply with quote

Vapor wrote:
Safe to assume that you add the # of quarts of diesel that you would # of quarts of oil minus whatever is in the filter?

I've heard of ATF being used for oil in an engine to clean things up but never diesel. Is the main motive the lower cost of diesel versus ATF and/or diesel working better?

What's the mystery in marvel mystery oil? In comparison to sea foam etc?

Any risks of damaging the catalytic converter or other components (emissions or otherwise) with diesel, ATF or other substances?
. What are you hoping to accomplish?
Quiet down a noisy lifter?
Try a 1/2 qt or just a few ounces, of Marvel Mystery Oil, added to the engine. Drain approx. a 1/2 qt of oil to start with if you’re at a full or close to full level. If you run overfilled, you usually can expect oil burning by the engine due to the overfilled condition.
Run the engine , drive it if the lifter stops clattering quite a bit.
Run that oil and MMO mixture until your next oil change.

Worked for me with a stubborn lifter at cyl. 2.
And after that, with trying various oils, I ended up using Castrol 10w-40 High Mileage oil, with no more lifter noises at all.
Lots of opinions on oil and threads on them here.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Muftobration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter Noise Reply with quote

My van has Lifter noise and recently started idling rough and sputtering as though it can’t open a valve. I checked all valves and found three squishy lifters: exhaust on #3, intake on #4, and exhaust on #2. I did the following to try to remedy it:

1. Flushed engine oil with Liqui Moly 2037 Pro-Line engine flush as directed (add, idle for 10 min, drain).
2. Filled engine with 4 qts of Mobil 1 15W-50 and 1/2 qt of Marvel Mystery Oil.
3. Set valve lash to 0.006” on the three affected valves using the procedure described in this thread.

I’ve driven four times since then: a test drive for 15 min with highway driving, a couple 20 minute trips to/from my in-laws, and a 10 minute trip around town. The idle is still really rough. How long should I drive like this trying to get the air out of the lifters?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: