Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grambo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

rontv, that is a clean looking install! I'm also looking at the Renogy 100ah battery for under the drivers seat, as a (mostly) plug and play power solution in the house battery box. I'm not sure if you have a swivel seat (doesn't look like it from your picture?), but can you or someone else with the same battery chime in to confirm if the swivel will still function even with the slightly protruding top of the Renogy 100ah battery in that location? Thanks!
rontv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Hi Grambo

sorry for the late reply
i do have a swivel at the driver seat
for me its no pint as i actually never use it due to kitchen cupboard behind but witht the battery installed its not possible at the corners of the top plate hit the battery
maybe if you grind of the corners

ill check for you and submit the results

Ron
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going this route and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good BMS and DC-DC converter?

I'm considering buying the 120ah package here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000316031708.html

I want to fit it in the stock location under the driver's seat without having to mod much (or anything).

Currently I have an aging AGM battery under there, connected with a Blue Seas ACR to the starter battery for alternator charge. I also have a 100w renogy panel on the roof with a Victron 75/15 bluetooth charge controller.

I'm guessing all I need to get to accompany the battery pack is a basic BMS and a DC-DC converter if I want alternator charge. And I'm also assuming getting a DC-DC converter will eliminate the need for the ACR?

Thanks for any help - I'm very unfamiliar with what all is needed for LifePo4. Our current battery is to the point where it can barely survive the night on a full charge if we have the heater on for a few hours ( along fridge and LED lights). Since we live in the van and winter is coming (or here already where we are), we need some more juice.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Victron makes DC-DC chargers now.... pretty blue color too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Victron makes DC-DC chargers now.... pretty blue color too.

I was actually just looking at that. I'll probably stick with Victron unless there's a reason to do otherwise. Would an isolated dc-dc charger eliminate the need for an ACR? It seems like it would, but I'm not 100% sure.

Looking at Victron's BMS options is pretty confusing though, I'm not sure if there are better/cheaper/more simple options.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

For anyone that cares, it seems that aliexpress has a sale going on for the next 12 hours.

Found 176ah batteries for $535 shipped from the US.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000774477755.html...web201603_

Also found some 280ah for $386 shipped from china.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566815335.h...web201603_

Surely there are other deals on other sizes if one wanted to look for a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
For anyone that cares, it seems that aliexpress has a sale going on for the next 12 hours.

Found 176ah batteries for $535 shipped from the US.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000774477755.html...web201603_

Also found some 280ah for $386 shipped from china.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001566815335.h...web201603_

Surely there are other deals on other sizes if one wanted to look for a bit.

I know someone that just got the 280ah one but unfortunately for me, neither one of those fit in the drivers side battery box :/

I may just opt for the 120 so I can get it sooner than later and get some more heat up in this van. Temps are in the teens at night and we’ve been waking up to icicles!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:

I may just opt for the 120 so I can get it sooner than later and get some more heat up in this van.

That was my thought last Friday, too.. 120, click. Expecting them tomorrow. DC-DC Victron arrived today, Overkill BMS arrived yesterday.

Since I have not yet done a Fridge project, 120 should do for just my CDH for the time being. Hope to get this all put in over the weekend.

In a year or so, battery storage density and available sizes will have mushroomed, and someone will be happy to take my 120's off my hands for something like half of what I spent on them, I am sure, and I can look forward to lots more storage for when I do get a TF49.

The one thing I have not yet seen is where people are installing the Victron Orion-Tr DC-DC (30A). Its a lot bigger than I had imagined.

Also, still looking for a decent location for the Kerosene tank. more ideas would be welcome!!

Ps. My Buddy heater works, but I despise both the humidity and the monoxide issues.

-bobby
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

thanks for the tip on the discount - I keep checking the sizes - as there is some variability - I've seen some 150 ah the same size as the 120 (ie they will fit under front seat) and I've seen some 150 ah that look like you would need to modify the front seat area...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
I've seen some 150 ah the same size as the 120

Can't confirm 100%, but I understand the 120 Ah are 150Ah cells that are used down to 80%. That said, I have the 120Ah cells you linked to and have been happy. I used the same BMS as the overkill version but ordered from Ali Express. I wanted a simple set-it-and-forget-it and landed on the Renogy DC550s which handles both DC-DC and solar.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Has anyone considered using both driver and passenger boxes (underseat compartments too) to house a giant LiFePo4 battery set up and doing away with the "starter" lead acid one? The Amp hours one could fit would easily start the engine within their ratings (2C on a 280AHr is nearly 600 amps) and keep a mini jump pack on board if things go wrong to stay mobile. Voltage would need to be managed out of the alternator not to exceed max 3.65V x 4 but outside of that you could save big money on not having dc-dc converters. Charge current wouldn't be an issue either with such a big lithium battery.
BK
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Wow - that is a great idea - but I literally just went for the 120 Ah battery...I have no idea on the logisitics of such a set up, but it sounds like a great idea. I'm sure some one smarter than me will have a real opinion on that...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Has anyone considered using both driver and passenger boxes (underseat compartments too) to house a giant LiFePo4 battery set up and doing away with the "starter" lead acid one? The Amp hours one could fit would easily start the engine within their ratings (2C on a 280AHr is nearly 600 amps) and keep a mini jump pack on board if things go wrong to stay mobile. Voltage would need to be managed out of the alternator not to exceed max 3.65V x 4 but outside of that you could save big money on not having dc-dc converters. Charge current wouldn't be an issue either with such a big lithium battery.
BK

I suspect that you will experience a severely degraded lifespan if you use your lifepo4 as a starting battery. Issue one will be that you won't be able to stop the charge once they are full, the other is that if you ever go into freesing temps, the large draw/charge at startup will be very bad for your battery. I have seen some lifepo4s in use as motorcycle batteries as well as some bMWs but the BMWs i believe have heaters built in. I don't believe the technology is quite there for LifePo4 to be a reliable DIY starter option. I have seen some really slick ways of installing a small AGM battery in the engine bay (similar to how Diesel vanagons do it) to me that's the goldilocks solution. 2 full lifepo4 banks with 300ah usable and a small odyssey AGM in the engine bay for starting
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Has anybody ordered batteries lately? Most of the links in this thread are no longer, when you search for LIPO batteries the results are endless and I am just not that educated about what to look out for when choosing (out side of the measurements to fit in the driver seat, non-swivel).

If you have a fresh link - please share!
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this, your work has really opened the door to getting >100 Ah within the driver seat. A few questions,

1. Do you mind sharing the info of the solar set you have.

2. Does the ElectroDacus also charge the Starter Lead Acid battery with Solar too or does the solar strictly charge the LiPO4 battery.

3. Did you put an MPPT in aswell? Where would that go on your wiring diagram?

4. Now that you've had the set up in the van for >1 year - have you had any issues? what would you change?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

baltik wrote:
Here ya go
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sdenis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Record? 120 usable Amp Hours under Driver's seat Reply with quote

rontv wrote:
wooow
looking great, and you can even close the original lid

should have known
just installed a 100Ah lifepo4 renogy battery, which fits too in the space but protrudes a bit in height, so need to make a new cover
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've just ordered the same Renogy battery for a similar installation. What do you plan on doing to cover the battery?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: