Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese heater installed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
richardcraineum wrote:
TonyB wrote:
I'm interested too, here in Kansas its already getting down to the 30's at night.
I'd rather use an electric heater but I doubt my generator would keep up with it unless I ran a spare battery and put it on the charger whenever I'm home.

I've got 35 gallons of Kerosene, I wonder if it can run on that? I'm just a bit nervous about driving around with flammable liquids other than whats in the fuel tank, and producing carbon monoxide while I'm driving.

i dont understand any of those concerns

I don't understand what you don't understand ... is it that you aren't concerned about driving around with flammables in the passenger compartment and you aren't concerned with carbon monoxide poisoning because you have a heater, and you trust it completely?

Or do you just not see an auxiliary heater as necessary?

i dont understand how you came to any of those conclusions.
1st theres no fuel in the passenger compartment. theres only a fuel line, which is hardly any different than the gas line that runs through the tunnel.
and on that note gas is waaaay more flammable than diesel fuel.
AND there were multiple production vehicles that did have fuel ( gas ) tanks in the passenger compartment, 60s - 70s landcruisers were under the passenger seat, 60s to mid 70s chevy trucks were behind the seat as were alot of older trucks. and that just to name a couple off the top of my head.

2nd what makes you think there's carbon monoxide emitting from the heater? its a completely sealed combustion chamber... its not that different than how your house furnace is designed.
i said i dont understand, because your concerns are completely irrational and make no sense at all. then to top it off you ask about burning kerosene in a diesel fuel heater, when you just stated your concerned about flammables and co2, what do you think using a non recommended fuel might do??
why ask if i dont see an auxiliary heater as necessary? you realize this is my thread about installing the auxiliary heater , right?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

just got this finished up and thought id post last couple pics. i had to order more heater hose 9ff of skeezbay as i couldn't source any locally. i also removed the " straw " from the back seat and replaced it with foam. i thought that straw stuff would be pretty flammable and quite a bit of it was falling out of the seat to boot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

Well Done!
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

Its supposed to get colder next week, keep us posted! Popcorn
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

thanks & will do. its already been in the 40s and so far its worked pretty good. worst part is how drafty my dash is but heater still kept me as warm as i like to be, any more and id have to wind down a window
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

Any updates?

Have you fixed the air leaks in the dash yet as well (probably coming from the front luggage seal area)?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

no not yet i havent
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

I've got a bit of experience with these, both Chinese and Eberspacher. My advice would be to run it on full at least half of the time you have it turned on unless you like stripping it down to decoke every year. This is the reason you should buy a 2kw as a 5kw in a Beetle on full gets unbearable quick.
Also note that there are a glut of 5kw heaters on the market and very few genuine 2kws with shady dealers selling 5kw models as 2kw.
The easiest way to visually tell the difference is the 2 small pipe stubs for inlet and exhaust are central on a 2kw and offset on a 5kw. The overall length of the units also give it away with approx 32cm overall length for the 2kw and 39cm for the 5kw.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

How hot is it in the drivers compartment comparing the 5KW vs 2KW units? What is the heat output at the hoses in F?

Thanks
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How hot is it in the drivers compartment comparing the 5KW vs 2KW units?

Two and a half times hotter.

74 Thing wrote:
What is the heat output at the hoses in F?

2kw = plenty. 5kw = too much.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

i cant say how hot the output is in F, but i can say that you wont want to hold your hand in front of it for very long.
the unit, being Chinese, is in celsius and so are the settings and on mine you can either set the unit to what i believe is its heat chamber temp or the " room " temperature. cool thing about the room temp setting ( i set mine at 27c ) is that it ramps the unit way up at first and the heat chamber showed a temp of over 200 degrees c. thats pretty toasty!
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

The formula to convert 27°Celsius to Fahrenheit is (27°C × 9/5) + 32 = 80.6°F

Google is your friend
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
The formula to convert 27°Celsius to Fahrenheit is (27°C × 9/5) + 32 = 80.6°F

Google is your friend

obviously theres plenty of ways to get F from C, but i didnt give that much of a shit about it
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

There is some similar info on the Ghia forum under
aftermarket heat for ghia.
Thanks for all the input
on this subject. Its definitely what I needed.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

How did you mount the unit to the floorpan? I see the intake and the exhaust tubes going out holes to the back of the floorpan towards the tranny. I was just wondering how you secured the unit?

Any photos would be great! Thank you!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How did you mount the unit to the floorpan? I see the intake and the exhaust tubes going out holes to the back of the floorpan towards the tranny. I was just wondering how you secured the unit?

Any photos would be great! Thank you!

essentially just built a raised platform for the unit to sit on. i was concerned about ground clearance otherwise you could just run the exhaust straight out the floorpan. the intake for the unit i decided to keep inside the vehicle as its a cleaner, drier environment
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

Yes, I see in one of your photos a bar that is welded to the floor pan with threaded inserts. How do you screw it to those insterts (are there holes for bolts within the unit that comes with it?

Obviously for the exhaust you have to run that out the back but for the intake for the combustion area you said you left that in the passenger compartment?

How come all of the manuals and directions indicate that the intake for the combustion chamber should come from outside of the car.

I may try to replicate a similar set up as yours so if you have any more photos they would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help and the motivation!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

the unit comes with a mounting plate, i just welded 2 rows of U channel to it that i had laying around. the U channel just happened to have holes it and 2 pieces gave me the height i needed.
ill get some pics of it for you if i can ever remember
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
How do you screw it to those insterts (are there holes for bolts within the unit that comes with it?

There are 4 M6 studs on the base that it bolts down with.

74 Thing wrote:
How come all of the manuals and directions indicate that the intake for the combustion chamber should come from outside of the car.

2 good reasons to route the intake outside: noise and condensation. Some people keep it inside so that they're not permanently heating up cold air which is semi-okay as long as the space is well ventilated.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese heater installed Reply with quote

In most Baja Bugs..."well ventilated" is rather an understatement.
Rolling Eyes

Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: