Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'50 running gear value / 383 dist. wire or spring clips?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the picture that "CLEARLY shows the wire clips on engine 1-0490428"?? I don't see it.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't profess to be an expert with these early distributors, but I have two 383's. The first one is november of 1950 and it has solid clips with the non-painted embossed logo. The second is April of 1952 and has wire clips with the painted smooth logo. Both came out of LONG storage. I cant confirm the originality, but thats what they have..
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Where is the picture that "CLEARLY shows the wire clips on engine 1-0490428"?? I don't see it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's very clear to me.

This is from Section M page 7-8. Same engine with same wire clips.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the smoking gun or not......

The cover of a Bosch catalog from 05/1952. While it does not show the clips on a VW or Porsche, but it looks like they existed then.

From a 10/1952 Bosch parts catalog.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off a 1950 25HP from a Tempo.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Thanks for the pic. What was the introduction date/engine for the 28mm carb seen in the pic?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Thanks for the pic. What was the introduction date/engine for the 28mm carb seen in the pic?

That would be October '52 on the engine so a Zwitter.

All this does is confirm that Zwitters came with them, at least on a certain amount of them. The two styles of clips are functionally equivalent so could have been interchanged based on availability.

We still have a gap from a month or so before August 1950 until a month or two before October of '52 that they were using the same old photo in all of the manuals so we have no proof of what they were using during that period.

PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 9/52 barn find motor that has match dated distributor, generator, and D regulator has wire clips.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the red herring is the notion that because pictures were used in documentation that was published *at* changeover (ex.: Oct '52) and that since the pics/documents had to be published prior to that date, that they were used in production prior to that date.

In my experience in production/marketing, if a new, or significantly re-engineered product is being developed and released to production, it it is done in and "R&D" type environment, and pre-release samples/mockups are used (sometimes shown at trade shows) for document/literature development, and NOT used in production. I wonder if the Zwitter was "shown" pre-Oct '52 anywhere? Would seem it would have been, it was a major redesign and would have had features that would have bettered it's marketability against the competition. A "proto", or even photographs well in advance of its roll out in production.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me one detail in a VW manual that was not actually used in production.

I never said that the fact that wire clips are present in the Zwitter manual, that they must have been used before. What I said is that there are no new pictures before that manual other than the recycled pictures from 1950. The absence of new pictures neither confirms or disproves that spring clips were used exclusively or that wire clips were used or not used.

We simply don't have any documentation either way so I cannot say definitively that wire clips were used before the Zwitter manual and you cannot definitively say that spring clips were the only clips used.

What we do have is a lot of examples of 383's with both styles of clips. Some are later than the zwitter manual and some are earlier.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
I never said that the fact that wire clips are present in the Zwitter manual, that they must have been used before. What I said is that there are no new pictures before that manual other than the recycled pictures from 1950. The absence of new pictures neither confirms or disproves that spring clips were used exclusively or that wire clips were used or not used.

I thought you had inferred that but I must have just read it wrong. I see your point about the fact that the pics are just recycled and you can't infer from that that changes were, or weren't made. I agree.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked on early 383 (no o-ring) that had both wire and solid clips. I've also worked on later 383 (with o-ring) that had both also. Could the clips of been changed in the past 60 years... sure, but i've seen too many of each for that to be valid.

At some point they stopped using the wire clips, but I don't see a definitive date.

BTW... i've restored over (70) 383 distributors so far.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

I thought you had inferred that but I must have just read it wrong. I see your point about the fact that the pics are just recycled and you can't infer from that that changes were, or weren't made. I agree.

I would have implied and you would have inferred...

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

I would have implied and you would have inferred...

Whatever. Rolling Eyes

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: '50 running gear value / 383 dist. wire or spring clips? Reply with quote

I defend my post in this thread with that I wanted to chare a pic of the 383 parts diagram (I havnt't seen it before).

First my summary: spring clips were used before and after wire clips, that were a short trial in the early-mid 50's by Bosch (the wire clips probably were cheaper to produce but shown less reliable so they went back to spring clips?). In 1954 Bosch called the wire clip for "new style", but going by the pictures in this thread they might have showed up as early as 1952. By 1956 they had gone back to producing and using spring clips again. In late 1959 they still comented to use up old stock of wire springs. The same could possible be true (the circa 1952-55 wire clips were produced) that there still was a shit load of the older spring clips to use up.

This is from Bosch part book dated 10.54 for 383 distributor (and other VE.. distributors). The diagram shows spring clips, but the parts list also has and coments the wire clips as the "New style of clip" (arrow). Making the spring clips an older version (by then..).

The dagram picture of the VE.. distributor with wire clips is probably a older reused drawing as other distributors in this 1954 parts list only shows the wire clips. As for the VJU4.. distributors.

This is from the Bosch parts list dated 7.56 again showing VJU4.. distributors. Now showing spring clips again with the comment (arrows) "Replaces wire spring, ZBF 75 Z 4 fasteners must also be changed"

This is a newer Bosch parts list from 6.59 for VJ4BR.. 2,3,8 and 25. Wire clips is showing with the comment of "former construction" and "use up
parts in stock"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: '50 running gear value / 383 dist. wire or spring clips? Reply with quote

FWIW, here's a type 527 Porsche motor, photographed in early-to-mid-1952, featuring a Bosch 383 with wire clips. The car is a split-window cabriolet, which puts it May 1952 production or earlier. The photo is published in Mechanix Illustrated, July 1952, which implies the photo was taken a month or two earlier.

And here is a factory Porsche 356 SL motor on the starting grid at Le Mans, June 1952. Again wire clips.

So wire-clip 383s were around in mid-1952 and certainly used on Porsche motors, which shared so many parts (and parts suppliers) with VW. I don't know what this means for VWs from 1952, but it's good period evidence that Bosch had already started using wire clips on the 383 by mid-1952.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: 383 dist. wire or spring clips? Reply with quote

Wow ~ so much info here and THANK YOU for all the great clear pictures and catalog pages .

I have a nasty old 1954 36HP engine sitting outside that has the wire clips and I too think they just look nicer and keep thinking I'll put them on the old cast iron 019 dizzy on my '59 to make me smile when I check the oil and fan belt tension .

Yes, the details are nifty but damn guys ~ as long as you're driving the damn thing instead of looking at it who cares ? .

If you have a vintage motor vehicle and don't ever drive it you're not a "Serious Collector" anyway .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: