Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose fuel pump flange
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Loose fuel pump flange Reply with quote

How tightly should a new fuel pump flange fit into the case? Someone I know broke theirs off and they think the new one they bought is too loose in the case. It is a 1600 in a 1974 Super Beetle. I have never ran across that problem, so I thought I would ask on here. I see the earlier ones are different. I wonder if they might have got one of those instead of one for a 1600?
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Loose fuel pump flange Reply with quote

Perhaps a repro one? They should be sanded done if tight for a smooth fit.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fuel pump flange Reply with quote

the one at Cip1 is the correct one and fits in a 1200-1600 case. They are not a tight fit.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fuel pump flange Reply with quote

The flange was the same 1961-1974. Aftermarket flanges are
typically a little smaller than the original VW ones, but can also be
a bit larger. It also might be the hole in the case that is bored too
large. I have a Genuine VW (Brazil) case where the pump flange hole in the case is so badly done that no flange, original VW or aftermarket, will sit flat on the top of the case.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fuel pump flange Reply with quote

I ran into that too.
Not only was it loose in the case, also the hole for the rod was far larger than it should be. I don't have any idea what they were thinking.

My conclusion was go with a used one, and use a slightly larger pump rod and call it good as new.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose fuel pump flange Reply with quote

I was just speaking to them again and they said there is a significant gap around the flange at the bottom hole. The problem they're having is that they were having a fuel delivery problem and when he pulled the pump, the new flange was broken and the top of it came out with the pump and the bottom of the flange was left sitting loosely in the hole. They bought a different one that was supposed to be "OEM" but it fits the same as the other one. He is going to measure the bottom hole and see if it's too big. The one on the motor I have apart was around 14-15mm. This is a motor they just built and hasn't even left the garage.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: