Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please ejemicate me
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

Hi all, one of my pipe dreams is to own an early 912 or 911 one day. And i really like the style with the large headlights. However, ive seen cars of the same year with both small and large beetle like headlights. How is this so? is there a name for this? Why was this so? for example, here is the smaller kind,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2426636

and here a larger,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2402481

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2425481

are they both interchangeable? or are the fenders different entirely?

Thank you!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

US Spec vs European spec.

In the US you had to have DOT approved sealed beams. In Europe you had H4.

As far as I know the fenders are the same and it's an easy swap.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/AFS91163110...7wQAvD_BwE
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

From the 912Registry-

"In 1968 the United States Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) imposed mandates that would significantly change the Porsche 912 for that year. No longer permitted were glass lenses that had enclosed the headlights, and in their place were large chrome bezels that housed the lenses directly."
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

Awesome! thank you guys. So if i see one here with euro headlights im guessing its safe to assume the car was imported here at some point in its life.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Awesome! thank you guys. So if i see one here with euro headlights im guessing its safe to assume the car was imported here at some point in its life.

Or someone swapped the DOT for Euro... just like with VWs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

The headlights with the covers were used until ‘68. They do have a different mounting system than the “sugar scoop” lights which became standard in 1968. This is seen in the actual headlight bucket on the fender. The ‘68-on lights have three tabs which the headlight carrier mounts to.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Please ejemicate me Reply with quote

There are at least 4 different kinds:
Early European H1
Early Us spec using DOT sealed beam 1965-67
Later "sugar scoop" US DOT spec with sealed beams out in the wind.
Later European H4
Plus, there are various countries' versions of all these: UK and right facing; Italy, France, some Scandinavian countries had different specs.
Front and rear blinkers also had many variations.
So, yes, determining if the car was originally sold in the US or another country, there is a lot to determine.
All cars with the late 1981 type VIN will tell this info from the VIN.
I have a grey market 1979, and it has a DOT applied compliance sticker. and the name of the RI (Registered Importer) Mario's Motors in my case
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: