Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVDA distributor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Has anybody had experience with this distributor?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D905%2D205

I can pickup a similar one up dirt cheap with a Petronix pickup. The number on it is, OP-043905205N, with no name. Reading on Samba, my H30/31 should have a vacuum port to produce adequate vacuum. I haven't checked it out.

I'm running my beloved OEM 205T's but they're getting long in the tooth, so I've been looking. I hate to spend a couple hundred times 2 cars. The mechanical advance feels smooth and no play in the shaft. Cap fits like crap.

Is it worth messing with? Thanks for any input.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Really? If you get what you pay for, at $39.99, I wouldnt try to leave my driveway.Use the search engine in the upper right corner of the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&Ind...13905205AN

Those are definitely not made in Germany. Buy it as a replacement for if/when (Hopefully not) your good quality distributor takes a shit while driving and you need to get home. I have a cheapo Kultec 009 that I got for $25 brand new and it sits in a little tupperware container with a few spare parts.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

You get what you pay for.

A Bosch cap and rotor alone will cost more than $40.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

You be much better off sourcing a used German Bosch SVDA and restoring it vs. buying any of those Chinese clone distributors.

I've autopsied several of the Chinese distributors including the Pertronix 034 clone. Let me just say they have terrible materials, tolerances and build quality.

I sell a lot of restored German Bosch SVDA distributors to customers who admit they "gambled" on one of these Chinese clones and found (shockingly) they didn't work. They then installed the restored German Bosch distributor and their engines ran as designed again.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

I would send it out to get rebuilt recertified. You will be glad you did.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone had something encouraging to say about them. Guess not.

You've got me scared. I'll take a pass, bring more pop bottles back and save my pennies for a good one.

No need to be messing with things that fail or won't last.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I would send it out to get rebuilt recertified. You will be glad you did.

Send out a $40 distributor for a rebuild? It's a paperweight.. nothing will make it good.

It's a turd.. no amount of polish will make it better.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Check out aircooled.net Mallory Distributor Unilite w/vacuum advance p/n 4754101, made in usa.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Check out aircooled.net Mallory Distributor Unilite w/vacuum advance p/n 4754101, made in usa.

you need to read the "small" print

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mallory-Distributor-Unilite-with-Vacuum-Advance-p/4754101.htm
Item discontinued by Manufacturer

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

If you read Cipi1’s information on that cheap SVDA, they say it doesn’t work with an H30/31, anyway.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

A good 009 distributor will work really well with the H30/31 carb, as long as the carb is in good working order.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2183090

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2342155
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
A good 009 distributor will work really well with the H30/31 carb, as long as the carb is in good working order.

I disagree.

A 205T is a better match.
goober wrote:
I'm running my beloved OEM 205T's but they're getting long in the tooth,

Rebuilt it yourself.... the 205T is jsut about the easiest distributor to rebuild. There's only 5 moving parts and 3 of then are the drive, pin and retainer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All you need is some brake parts cleaner, distributor grease, engine oil, steel thrust washers and a fiber washers (both available in the classified) and 2 hours of your time.

You can't mess it up.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
joey1320 wrote:

I disagree.

A 205T is a better match.

I agree as well. While a German 009 will work with that carb, the 205T works off engine load, not engine RPM. So, you get better driveability. Many people report back that they also get better fuel mileage as well with the SVA distributors.

Those German engineers obviously felt vacuum advance distributors were a better fit for their engines or they would have installed the mechanical only distributors.

I ran a German 009 with an H30/31 carb. It worked fine. When I changed it to the SVA distributor, I noticed the engine responded better.

With this said, I think the German mechanical advance only 009 distributors are good in the right application like dual Kadrons or Webers. The restored versions sell at a good price point vs. the much more expensive cast iron 010's or 019's.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn for the encouragement.

I believe my 205T takes a 07024 vacuum canister. Does anyone have any experience with this new aftermarket canister? Is it near OEM quality, fit and response?

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/Bug68upTune/07024.html

Thanks.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You get what you pay for.

Your sig line says the exact opposite.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Thanks Glenn for the encouragement.

I believe my 205T takes a 07024 vacuum canister. Does anyone have any experience with this new aftermarket canister? Is it near OEM quality, fit and response?

https://www.evwparts.com/vwparts/Bug68upTune/07024.html

Thanks.

That doesn't look to be aftermarket. You might ask before you buy to make sure. If it is Bosch than that's what you are looking for to pair with the 113 905 205 T.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Has anybody had experience with this distributor?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D905%2D205

Actually, yes. I bought that exact one that you linked to. I wanted to use it as a spare.

I used it with a Solex 34pict3, and it worked "ok." It wasn't as "lively" as my Bosch AJ, and it had considerable timing scatter. I could even feel the timing scatter in the jittery torque of the engine. In fact, I gave up playing with that distributor after the scatter grew to the point that I had no idea how to time it (do I put the case split in the middle of the scatter? or at the high side, or...?). That only took maybe 50 miles of driving.

Now that I have more experience playing with Bosch distributors, I will never buy any aftermarket distributor again. My advice is the same as has been said here already: rebuild an original instead.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone.

Kpf, heimlich thought it looked to be NOS. Did yours look to be NOS or newly manufactured? How was the overall quality and diaphragm action? Did feel unusually stiff? Rubber does deteriorate with time.

And 50 years is a long time to be sitting on a shelf, albeit, better than being in service.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA distributor Reply with quote

The distributor from cip1 is definitely newly manufactured. The quality looks good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: