Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC issues
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpbmx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: AC issues Reply with quote

Hey everyone - i’ve had warm ac in my 2011 golf for a while and went to charge it and it was overcharged. I then drained the refrigerant from the system completely and refilled it properly. I had great, cold AC for the matter of 10 minutes, and after driving for a bit it slowly warmed back up to blowing warm air. when i checked the system - it automatically overcharged itself again! i went through the same process one more time and the same thing happen. What could be causing this? it appears my ac compressor is engaging but i can’t tell perfectly
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: AC issues Reply with quote

the system cannot overcharge itself...it cannot create freon...how are you determining that its ''overcharged"?...you need to put a proper set of gauges on it and check both low and high side pressure....just to throw out some inaccurate numbers for comparison the system may have around 100 pounds in it when its off...when the compressor is running the pressure in the low side would be around 40 and the high side over 200...a blockage in the system can cause the high side to get so high that a safety pressure switch will turn off the compressor to prevent damage...this can also happen if the electric fans arent turning on, the increased heat will drive the pressures too high and shut down the compressor...so start with some real pressure numbers and maybe we can help you better...p.s. did you properly evacuate the system before recharging it? any moisture in the system can freeze and the ice crystals can block things up and cause issues like this
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: AC issues Reply with quote

If you can make refrigerant that way, you would be a millionaire.

You have a restriction. Expansion valve, hose, pipe, receiver drier, evaporator, condenser. These are a few things I've seen in my years turning wrenches for a living.
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AC issues Reply with quote

2011 GTI is known for bad fans, check that the smaller of the two fans is running constantly when you have the AC on.
To repair you can either replace the carbon motor brushes (i have some spares) or replace the whole unit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: