Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Easy fix for the bearing on my Cabriolet's steering column?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Easy fix for the bearing on my Cabriolet's steering column? Reply with quote

So about halfway down the steering column on my '85 Cabi this bearing pack slid out of its pocket and now the steering wheel bumps and chatters a bit.
I can slide it back up, but it slides back down again pretty quickly.
I realize there is an official new-bearing repair job to be done; until then, however, how can I get that thing to stay back up in its place?
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy fix for the bearing on my Cabriolet's steering column? Reply with quote

iirc we just slid them back up and put a hose clamp around the shaft so they couldnt fall back down
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy fix for the bearing on my Cabriolet's steering column? Reply with quote

be careful not to push the bearing up into the tube too far, there is no stop and if it goes past the lip the bearing falls loose in the tube. I did that and had to take the column tube out to fix it. Put a zip tie on the tube on the inside to keep that from happening.

After takeing it out and seeing the condition of the bearing and the plastic insert, I just used a zip tie (w/ a little glue to hold it) on the inside and a metal hose clamp on the outside. Works
gereonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy fix for the bearing on my Cabriolet's steering column? Reply with quote

https://www.tech-53.com/product-p/brngfix.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: