Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust repair in Bay Area, CA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwdriverfoundvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a body shop that can do rust repair in the bay area or nor cal? My 82 Westy has some rust on the rear and side window sills that may require some new metal. Every body shop I have talked to says they don't do that kind of work anymore but cannot recommend anyone.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

i had the very same issue. No one wants the crap work.

Emerald City Auto Body in bayview said theyd do it.. but they were pretty damned pricey (https://goo.gl/maps/gKbvfiLKmxFqe67U6)

I ended up doing it myself
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

You need to go to a Fab or Restoration shop. I don’t think body guys should be doing rust repair.
I use a local Fab guy. I tell him what I want and it comes back raw metal. Nothing hiding, then it goes to a body guy.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
I ended up doing it myself

Me too. I had some rust around a failed seal in the front windshield. I removed the windshield and worked on it with an angle grinder and POR-15. Have not had any recurrence or rust in the last two years.

I have a failed seal in the back windshield and a rust spot there too, but I have just elected to let it be. It's not getting any worse, as CA has a very forgiving climate.
gerstle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

@vwdriverfoundvw - Find anything worthwhile? I'm down in Santa Cruz and am trying to decide if it's worth it to me to fix the rust or if I should just move on to something newer...
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

Felipe at 523rods in Richmond did mine a few years ago, not sure he's still doing that though. He knows Vanagons inside and out including all the rust problems we face.
spillane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

Yeah go to Felipe's Shop 523 Rods, they do full restorations all day long.
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

When I bought my van last year I had a pretty bad rust problem on the back windshield I found a shop in SF to do the repair but he quoted me way too much. I chatted with buslab who offered to find a new gate and a recommendation AJ's auto clinic in Oakland. I stopped by and he quoted me something that sound reasonable to me for acquiring a doneur part welding it in and repainting the full things. The work was perfect and fast. I harldly can tell that any work has been done. I know the owner works on Vanagon quite often. So I would highly recommend even if they are not really cheap.

Funnily enough I need to change some of my seals now. The windshield's one is clear leaking from this weeks rain. I am considering doing it myself including any small rust repair if I found any. I am bit scared of finding an horror story... So if you ever see someone in SF fixing its windshield stop and say hi Smile

Good luck!

Edit : a friend and neighbor got some extensive rust repair done in the south bay the cost seemed reasonable I can ask him if you want. please DM me.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rust repair in Bay Area, CA Reply with quote

[quote="koubiak"]

Funnily enough I need to change some of my seals now. The windshield's one is clear leaking from this weeks rain. I am considering doing it myself including any small rust repair if I found any. I am bit scared of finding an horror story... So if you ever see someone in SF fixing its windshield stop and say hi Smile

quote]

16cvs above does auto glass for a living. I'd for sure be calling (look the # is right there!) for Stacy's professional support on that if I was the Bay area.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: