Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat modifications 73-78
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beckaluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project that I picked up halfway through completion. The project is a ‘78 convertible, and currently has no seats. I’ve been gifted with a set of front seats from a ‘73, but it has become apparent that the seat adjustment mechanism is quite different. My research indicates that the adjust changed somewhere around ‘76 or ‘78. Does anyone have pictures or their ‘78 seats from the bottom that shows how the adjuster for this year functions? I’m considering options of modifying the ‘73 seats to add seat adjuster hardware from ‘78 or going the other route of adding the center tunnel bracket and retaining the ‘73 seat adjuster mechanisms. In both cases, I’ll need to buy almost the entire mechanism as the project did not come with those items. I’m also looking at simply picking up a set of aftermarket seats from Scat and installing those, but I would like to explore the original seat options first.

Thanks,
Gary
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

76-79 type 1, bottom of the seat frames are all the same. Also Mk1 Rabbit's,etc. water-cooled vw's of the same time period, have the same setup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side seat

Driver side seat
More photos in my gallery.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

Though the Golf Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 seat base is the same style as the 73.5 and later cars, the legs at the rear are 1 inch per side(if you center the seat base over the seat tracks) wider than your seat tracks. There are a ton of ways to make them fit and you can likely find instructions online somewhere, but they're, unfortunately, not a direct fit. In all honesty, I'm not certain this applies to Standard Beetles because the newest Standard I've ever owned was a '67 or '68, but this certainly applies to the OPs Super Beetle 'Vert.

H2OSB
David Grason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

How do these seats compare with the seats used in Mexican VWs up to 2003?

I've been planning a trip down there so I can bring a car back. But I have no idea what my options are as far as seating

Do each day a little more than expected and soon you'll be expected to do more.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

David Grason wrote:
How do these seats compare with the seats used in Mexican VWs up to 2003?

I've been planning a trip down there so I can bring a car back. But I have no idea what my options are as far as seating

Not sure, I've never seen the mexibeetle seats. All of the Golf seats have bolsters, but are a bit wide. I run Miata seats in my two Supers.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

David Grason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:

Not one to intentionally wreck the thread, but I have to ask....

What kind of shifter is that?

Now, getting back on topic, those Miata seats look fantastic and seem to fit the "motif" of the car perfectly. Were they difficult to mount?

Do each day a little more than expected and soon you'll be expected to do more.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

David Grason wrote:
H2OSB wrote:

Not one to intentionally wreck the thread, but I have to ask....

What kind of shifter is that?

Now, getting back on topic, those Miata seats look fantastic and seem to fit the "motif" of the car perfectly. Were they difficult to mount?

Bug-Tech. Awesome shifter.

The seats are very comfortable and supportive. I used Scat seat adapters I got at a swap meet for $25, years back. I had to do a little drilling and finagling(On the adapters only. The car is 100% unchanged)but they were not monumentally difficult to mount. Oh, and I bought Scat seat adjusters, but Miata adjusters COULD have been used with a bit more fiddling. The seats look identical to mini, cloth covered Porsche seats and fit the width of the cabin.

H2OSB
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

What year Miata seats did you use?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
What year Miata seats did you use?

I wish I could tell you. I bought them on craigslist and honestly just went by the picture. I just didn't want the ones with speakers in the headrests, and I looked for the style that looks like Porsche seats. That said, I THINK the bases are the same, so, at least, the first two gens should fit the same.

Sorry I can't help further
H2OSB
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat modifications 73-78 Reply with quote

I have a '74 Sun Bug and although the recovered (in vinyl) stock seats look decent, they are uncomfortable to me. For my interior restoration, which is nearly complete, I went though the trouble to find '73 Sports Bug seats (that I'm recovering in Sun Bug upholstery) and find them very comfortable. A clear advantage over stock seats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: