Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval Flasher
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

My 56 oval has the OG flasher unit that refuses to flash. I have read John Henry's post on these flashers and even wired up a test device. My flasher flashes very fast with no light on for the dash. Not being a electrical genius I need help getting my turn signals working.
Does anyone rebuild these or is there a source for rebuilt/working units??
Bruce Ebling

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

first take some sandpaper to the contacts. you need to hook up 2 6v bulbs to it in order for it to flash. K is the ground for the dash light.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I Wired it using two bulbs and a dash light bulb as per John Henry's diagram. I will try sanding the contacts
Thanks for your help
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

Use very fine sandpaper. About 400 grit. If they are heavily pitted then a contact file would be best. You want the contact to be clean and smooth.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I don't know if John is still repairing these but if he is then his site says $35 as long as it not physically damaged inside. If you don't know what you are doing you could ruin it and make it un-repairable so you might want to consider reaching out to him if you don't feel confident in your abilities.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I would love to send it to John but I have messaged him and sent a email to Zarworks with no reply. Any idea of how to reach him??
Bruce
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

So it appears that Zarworks closed shop back in 2013. How are you Oval owners dealing with broken swf flasher units??
Bruce
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

No worries, John is around! He's blissfully retired up in the northeast from the normal work-a-day world, still playing with his VWs! I'll leave it up to him to reply and offer his services if he's still doing that.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I bought a couple from John many years ago. I'd PM him through thesamba. I will pop into the split forward from time to time. The other suggestion if you can't repair yourself, is just upgrade the inside to more modern technology. Not a perfect solution, but will give you a functional flasher with the external look. There is a thread on this forum on how to.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I did finally get a hold of John and He has agreed to fix my flasher! Thank goodness there are people like John to take the time to help VW freaks out!! Is there a 6v solid state upgrade for my flasher?
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
I did finally get a hold of John and He has agreed to fix my flasher! Thank goodness there are people like John to take the time to help VW freaks out!! Is there a 6v solid state upgrade for my flasher?

The go-to flasher has been the one Wolfsburg West has, recommended as the cure to dimming lights while idling.

I take it to open these up you pop the rivets on the sides? Are there replacement rivets available for when you need to close them back up?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
So it appears that Zarworks closed shop back in 2013. How are you Oval owners dealing with broken swf flasher units??
Bruce

Don't worry about the "-" (ground) connection, it will work in the fashion I outline connected or not.

Take the dash light wire from the "K" connection and move it to terminal "S" along with the wire to the turn signal switch.

Now the dash light will work, the difference from stock is that the dash light will flash opposite the turn signals. When you have the turn signal switch on the dash light will be on when the signal lights are in off part of the flash cycle. The stock setup flashed the dash light with the signal lights.

When I bought my oval the dash light didn't work but the signals did. With this change I have a working dash light, but still no audible turn signal clicking sound. I don't know if the stock oval flasher was supposed to be heard.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I think John did mine years ago. Looks perfect. Had it done in 12V.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

… when my old-VW flasher died, I just went with a 3 wire newer cylindrical shaped one - not a 2 wire, but a 3 - left the old one for looks - sure was a practical upgrade and i'll bet the current owner (whomever that is) is thankful to replace a normal flasher - all my old bugs have semaphores now - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

Related trivia: The blinker unit is marked "SWF", which we also know from windshield wiper motors. German Wikipedia has details on SWF, which stands for Sonderwerkzeugfabrik (special tool factory) and founded in 1923 in the Stuttgart, Germany area. As of 1939 they developed and sold semaphore turn signal units that worked up to speeds of nearly 90 mph (!). After WW2 they developed turn signal ("blinker") units. In 1954 replaced the foot-operated high beam switch with a steering column stalk control and integrated "flash to pass" feature. In 1955 windshield washer system which was adopted by 80% of the German auto manufacturers, and wiper blades with springs to conform to curved windshields. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWF_(Automobilzulieferer)
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I just sent mine to John Henry to get rebuilt. price was nice.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

I just got mine from my '55 working again. Very Happy I think it had corroded contacts, and had been dropped such that the contact points were out of position.

A note for others in the same boat of trying to get theirs working. On mine, the main contact arm could not touch the main contact because it was tight against the magnetic core. Once it actually could make contact, I found that bending the contact ear would dramatically change the behavior of the cycling on and off. Too close to the magnet and then very slow response, move it slightly away and the response is faster. This is of course after adjusting the hot wire tension to optimum.

I also had to adjust the preload on the dash light contactor as even with two bulbs, it was not being pulled in to contact. That is an adjustment by bending the arm that holds the tension spring. I noticed the metal cover has an access slot so this step can be done while it is assembled. This bendable arm is seen on the lower left of the picture by MeeferMadness.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

Found this 6V version electronic flasher. Has 4 wires like the original SWF.

I bet it could be packaged inside the old SWF case like the other examples.

https://www.memotronics.com/6-volt-neg-ground-3-pr...y-elf33-6/

A modern component at least that works with our old gals, and works with LEDs.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval Flasher Reply with quote

Just got my flasher back from John Henry. Looks awesome! So glad that people like John are there to help us enthusiasts put together OG cars
Bruce Ebling

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: