Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Window Switch issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbawkbachgawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

I've had issues in the past with the passenger window getting stuck in the down position. I noticed water leaked through the switches at one point and I lost the switch lights on all of them. I just replaced 2 switches with new, the passenger switch and the driver's side passenger switch.

A few days ago when I finished installing the passenger window went down slowly and barley went back up. At that time all switches lit up. Today I tried again and the window did not move at all at first, I noticed the driver's side light did not turn on, however it moved driver's window just fine. After a minute or so the light turned on and I tried the passenger window again, it moved really slow and I was barley able to bring it back up. When I was bringing it up, I noticed that the passenger's side switch light was flickering as if it wasn't getting enough power.

With all that said, I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the last switch as perhaps this is the cause within the entire series of switches? Maybe I am overlooking something, maybe a ground wire is loose or something? Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

I'm not sure about these- but have you taken the mechanism apart to lubricate the regulator?

I just redid the drivers side of mine. When researching issues about my window, I stated reading about power windows. I think this issue could burn out motors or switches?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

How are the window seals along the bottom of the window?

"Corrosion X" is a good "sealing" spray that will fill/cover to protect electrical boards or terminals.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mrbawkbachgawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. I have yet to lubricate the regulator. When this issue happened the first time the window went up easily and quick once the switch was given power. I replaced the switch and it worked for a while and then only worked when pressing both the driver's side passenger switch and the passenger switch at the same time. That worked for about a month and then got slow and just stopped. I'm wondering if it's a wiring issue because of this, I feel that because the switch light was flickering it may be lacking power? Perhaps it is struggling because of the regulator though?
mrbawkbachgawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I imagine because I've literally seen water leaking through my switches that it's not great. I think once I get the windows working properly that applying the Corrosion X would help. Thanks for the suggestion.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Do you still have the plastic door liner in place? I believe that is supposed to run behind switches to keep water out.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbawkbachgawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Do you still have the plastic door liner in place? I believe that is supposed to run behind switches to keep water out.

Yes, the barrier is in place but the rain here in the Pacific North West has been wild. My reinstall has added a smaller piece of plastic taped just above the switch to provide additional protection. My hope is once I get them working correctly this will provide adequate protection. The Corrosion X also sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

lubricate the mechanism, spray some silicone lubricant on the side felts, check the switch connectors may help.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Move switches to the dash, that's what I did. Original switches are terrible, for many reasons.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/cup-holders/4456/power-window-switch-relocation-kit-
mrbawkbachgawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Move switches to the dash, that's what I did. Original switches are terrible, for many reasons.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/cup-holders/4456/power-window-switch-relocation-kit-

I was debating on doing this but thought I would try once more... I think that may have been a bad idea. It seems weird though that with 2 brand new switches it's still an issue...
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

there are 4 sets of connectors between the driver's side and the passenger's side window switch. if you measure the voltage on the yellow or yellow/black at the passenger side switch, i bet it's below 10 volts. you are seeing the effects of voltage drops.

i disassembled the connectors and used 320 grit to clean the corrosion off. once i verified the correct operation of the windows, i used a dielectric grease on the connectors in the doors.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

i just want to say that GoWesty supplying cup holders to cover the OEM switch cutout was a brilliant idea! i love that style too.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbawkbachgawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
there are 4 sets of connectors between the driver's side and the passenger's side window switch. if you measure the voltage on the yellow or yellow/black at the passenger side switch, i bet it's below 10 volts. you are seeing the effects of voltage drops.

i disassembled the connectors and used 320 grit to clean the corrosion off. once i verified the correct operation of the windows, i used a dielectric grease on the connectors in the doors.

Thank you, this sounds like it may be the culprit. I will make this my next step. If that does not work I may just get the gowesty switch kit after these failures.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Take your original switches and flush them out with WD40 and try them again. As repeated numerous times in the many window threads that come up.
Start by putting power power directly to the motor at the door panel. The work backwards from there.
Before adding switches to the dash double up some Masking tape and stick it to the dash where you would put the switch and see what a pain it is to reach them from a comfortable driving position.
These windows need maintenance like any other system of your van, with a little patience the factory system works great.
I have new harnesses if you need them.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

All true, but the problem is more than that. The contacts in the switches are too small for the loads the window motor uses. I have found the reliable way to solve all this is to throw away the OG system and relay the windows with large wires to the door especially for this purpose. I have 12ga marine wire for both positive and ground as a separate circuit through the door bellows directly to relays.

This also completely solved the slow PS window issue!! The reason the window is so slow is the current path is too long and through too small switches. By the way, a standard rocker switch is all that's needed for the relayed system. I can post my diagram if anyone is interested.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for the switches, https://www.hansautoparts.com/191919550A-Power-Window-Switch.aspx
This is an incredible deal. If you order the left door switch for $8.00, you get TWO switches plus the plastic driver's door bezel whose engagement prongs are prone to failure which leaves the switches flopping. I recently replaced a bad RMW switch and the Han's one is great. PLUS, I have a spare.

Duncan
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

I can post my diagram if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see it!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

Thank you for the link to that replacement switch. Just what I needed! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

S Surf--Sorry, but something wacky is going on with my ability to upload photos to the gallery. Upgraded my Mac OS and now it doesn't like it. Will sort it out and post ASAP.

In the meantime, here is what I did. Three relays per side in the door.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The relays don't have to be in the door. I just happened to have the space and so that's where they went partially because the motor plugs are in the door and it made connections simpler. PS is where the speaker used to be which was relocated for a different reason, but the DS has them at the bottom of the door.

Relay 1 turns power on sending it to the other two relays, but does not activate them. The power passes through the normally closed contacts. The diode blocks power to those relay coils. With the switch in the other position power passes through the diode and activates not only relay 1, the power relay, but the other two as well thus reversing polarity.

The switches. Any SPDT center off momentary will do as the loads are only the relay coils which are low. I used the OG window switches, but in a different form. I used the brown ground wire as the supply. I forget which were the other ones, but using a multimeter to test for continuity can easily show you which to use. I do know that the red wires are normally hot all the time and so they can't be used as they are without clipping the connection between them as they are soldered onto two terminals. As someone already said there are four connectors between the two doors for the pair that runs across. I elected to run entirely new wires with no connectors at all. Connectors may simplify assembly with different parts of the factory harnesses when the car is building built, but that was 31 years ago and no longer a requirement. Directly from the switch plugs on one side to the switch plugs on the other. For window power, I ran new 12 gauge stranded marine wire with each strand tinned before assembly for both the positive and ground. This is the best wire you can get and has far better insulation than regular auto or house wire. I didn't want to rely on the door hinges to provide continuity and I wanted heavy duty current capability.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

I wrote this assuming the diagram would accompany the text.

Diode--A diode of min values of 12v and 1 amp is connected across the output of the switches. I used solar blocking diodes which are cheap and can handle the loads. This allows the switch to send power either to just the power relay 1 blocking the cross connection to keep it from going down the other leg. When pushed the other way, the power can go to all three relays. So in the normally closed positions of relays 2 and 3, the positive goes to one leg of the window motor and the negative/ground goes to the other. When the diode allows all three relays to be activated, relays 2 and 3 trip and reverse the polarity to the motor and thus it's direction. The leads from the switch go separately to relay 1 and the other to 2 and 3.

Hope this is clear enough for you to figure out. Will post the diagram as soon as I can.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Power Window Switch issue Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Thank you for the link to that replacement switch. Just what I needed! Very Happy

Just saw OE style repros for cheap on aliexpress. Advertised for VW Santana

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000825692701.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.44582e0eWFcxdx
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: