Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
on my Syncro, year 1989 (Chassis 25 K), but put into circulation in 1988, following an engine fire, I am currently repairing the air conditioning harness.

Alas, not all the diagrams I find are those of my air conditioning, including on the Bentley.

My air conditioning has the controls on the dashboard, does this detail mean that the previous diagrams are obsolete for this air conditioning model?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I specify that my air conditioning is original on the bus, it appears in the option codes of the M-Sticker.

I think the correct diagram must be the one from 1990 or 1991, because it seems to me that it is at the end of production that the orders have been placed on the dashboard.

Anyone have the air conditioning diagram for the 1991 models?

Thanks for your help.

Bye.

Fred.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Why would anything other than the control location be different?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

How much wiring did you lose in the fire?

There really isn't a lot of A/C wiring on the engine itself.

Often when wires burn, the insulation burns off but tge wire itself remains and can be followed until you come to unburned wiring.
At this point it is a simple matter of cutting and splicing.

I'll guess that someone went in and without any forethought simply cut out the burned wires?

Vanagon A/C historically can be maddening for it often changed. These changes seem to nit always be documented by VW.

Case in point, my 86 was a hybrid of pre 86 and 87 components and design.
No where is a wiring diagrams, I ended up creating my own and posting it here in these forums to help others who follow later.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Hello Dave,
indeed, when I bought the Syncro, the previous owner tried to fix the bus and the air conditioning with the help of a mechanic who was not at all specialized in these old vehicles.
All the work was poorly done.
Here is the bus at the time of purchase:

So I did this:

And I fixed everything.

As for the engine, everything is ok, I have the diagrams, and everything works, the bus drives very well.

But for the air conditioning harness, everything was cut, and fixed the wrong way.

I am now fixing everything.

The air conditioning harnesses are still a specialty and completely separate from the main bus harness.

The air conditioning has its own beam which goes forward.

It is this beam that was completely burnt and very badly repaired.

I managed to repair and proplong everything up to the relays which are on the left rear pillar. But there, I must reconnect everything, and without diagram, difficult.

Thanks.

Fred.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

My English is very bad, I didn't understand.
Thank you.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Bentley, 97.143, 144 and 145 have the wiring diagrams for your air conditioner. The place where the switches go does not matter.

Your wiring clean up of the engine is excellent. You will have no problem with the AC. See also the Bestley section 87 for physical locations of things like thermocouples.

Bonne chance, Duncan
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Here is a link to a samba page with a decent image of the connections at the D pillar.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643515&start=0

scroll down a bit to see it.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Hello,
I think if the controls are placed in another place, it is possible that the electrical circuit is a little different.
Thank you
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Bentley, 97.143, 144 and 145 have the wiring diagrams for your air conditioner. The place where the switches go does not matter.

Your wiring clean up of the engine is excellent. You will have no problem with the AC. See also the Bestley section 87 for physical locations of things like thermocouples.

Bonne chance, Duncan

Hello Duncan,
thanks, i have the bentley, but it seems to me that i don't have the same wire colors as on the diagrams that are in the bentley.
But I will still search.
Thank you.
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Here is a link to a samba page with a decent image of the connections at the D pillar.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643515&start=0

scroll down a bit to see it.

Hello,
Thank you for the link.

It seems to me that I have the same thread colors as this image of the link you gave, but I haven't found a pattern that matches these thread colors.

Thank you.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

With the exception of the pressure switch the wiring looks factory to me. Where it might get complicated slightly is I notice you are running an early digijet engine management and in North America, your year would have been Digifant. The Bentley manual sold here does.

Your wiring looks identical to my 90 syncro. Perhaps wire and troubleshoot it as a 90 camper air. I wired the air in our 82 from scratch using the 90 wiring diagram as a reference.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

The wire colors are not important except to identify wires running to the AC from the front of the car. Once you have established where they come from and where they go with continuity testing, you can connect your harness to the appropriate supply and feed current paths.

Duncan
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Here's another helpful image.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Vanagon air conditioning diagrams> Need help please Reply with quote

Hello,
thank you all for your answers, for the moment, due to lack of time, the reassembly of the air conditioning is on hold.
More to come.
Thank you.
Greetings.
Fred.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: