Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting seatbelts!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pricej1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm looking at fitting front seatbelts to my 1965 beetle and can only find 2 of the 3 mounting holes.

Would anyone be able to advise where the lower mount should be? I've looked but if this is referenced in another topic or area on the site I'd be grateful for a link.

At the moment I'm thinking the metal work has been repaired and the original holes removed.

Thanks in advance
John[/img]
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John, I think you tried to post this pic.
I gave ya a little help.
It does appear that your "B" pillar had some work done on it/them.
The chrome strip where the pinch welt should be is a give away.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
pricej1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

Thanks 67rustavenger, not quite figured my way round the forums just yet.

Yeah, it looks like its had a similar repair on the other side so didnt have a reference of where it should have been. Thanks for your help.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the seat belt mount holes are the same 65-67. Gimme a few minutes and I'll measure where they are located in my parts car.
This is from the roll over the heater channel to the middle of the mounting bolt hole.

This is from the leading edge of the "B" pillar to the center of the mounting bolt hole.

This is the upper shoulder belt mount. I measured from the center of the assist strap mount above the shoulder strap mounting hole.

Sorry, I don't have a metric tape measure. Embarassed

I hope this helps.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

This might help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=720353&highlight=

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" (Groucho Marx)

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the more you pull off the faster it goes" (unknown)

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” (John Wayne)

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” – Adm Grace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

Interesting info guys thanks, Denny B could you tell me where you got the retractable belts from in the thread link you posted. Your install turned out beautiful.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

Those seat belts look like the typical 3-point belts sold by many online retailers. Here is a link to the CIP1 page with different colored kits.
https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=177
Generally, pick your color and the style for the lock which mounts to the center tunnel.

Some kits come with the 90-deg base bracket which allows the retractor to mount against the front of the rear seat which moves them out of the way like this...

Without the bracket the retractors mount against the B-pillar and slightly blocks the opening as people enter/exit the rear seat. CIP1 sell a pair of brackets as a separate item if the seat belt kit don't have them. Again, these are common aftermarket belt kits and other retailers sell the same kits/brackets. I just selected CIP1 because they showed up first in my Google search.

Also, there is mention of Beetles up to '65 using 22mm anchor bolts instead of the more common 7/16"-20 thread pitch. These need adapters to use the 7/16"-20 bolts that come with all seat belt kits.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D111%2D702%2DHRD%2DPR

Not sure if you noticed in the thread posted by Denny B, but it suggests that in '65 the bottom attachment point was on the floor. Have you looked here to see if there is already a nut welded on the floor under the carpet?

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
pricej1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the really useful pictures and information everyone, really appreciate it.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting seatbelts!! Reply with quote

I got those belts from CIP1.

https://www2.cip1.com/

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" (Groucho Marx)

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the more you pull off the faster it goes" (unknown)

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” (John Wayne)

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” – Adm Grace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: