Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" Tire Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
The Grabber AT2's are 27x8.5R14 LT...quite a bit wider than 195's & about 10% taller than stock.

With a 95 load rating I'm not sure I'd run them on a "full kitchen" Westy camper, but even fully loaded
my Weekender runs about 800# lighter than a full Westy so I went with the recommendation and I've
been very happy with them. I definitely feel the difference in getting out on the highway but the rpm's
once up to speed put it right in the WBX sweet spot. Real hills/mountains are not much different than
stock, maybe just gotta downshift a little earlier & the WBX does the rest.

Yes, sidewalls are a bit softer than the Hankooks so they offer a bit of "give" but once they set in
on a corner they're like riding on rails the rest of the way. Long story short, I like 'em a lot... Cool

FWIW... (Sorry, not really an action shot, but you can see the tires & Milt's has a very good burger... Laughing )

- Dave

Thanks, Dave!
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Does anybody have any real world experience with these? Would like your opinion for a variety of driving conditions, highway tracking, cornering, road noise, dirt, gravel, some ice or snow? thank you

https://www.amazon.com/THUNDERER-Ranger-R101-All-S...545P72RHKA

https://www.amazon.com/Otani-MK1000-Season-Radial-Tire-195R14/dp/B07H3TTZBC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Green-Max-Van-185R14C-Load-D-8-Ply-Commercial-Tires-/333668524396

https://www.prioritytire.com/maxxis-bravo-ue-168-185r14-102-100r-d-8-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire/
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Caution, about to get a little bit political.

It really bugs me that there is a perfectly suitable tire available from Good year for our Vanagons, the Wrangler 195/75/14. From my observation, they sell a lot of these tires. But it’s to only one customer, the US postal service. Of coarse, they are available to the general public, but at $250 each there aren’t many takers.

Seems to me as taxpayers we are getting bamboozled, and Good Year is the only beneficiary.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:

It really bugs me that there is a perfectly suitable tire available from Good year for our Vanagons, the Wrangler 195/75/14. From my observation, they sell a lot of these tires. But it’s to only one customer, the US postal service. Of coarse, they are available to the general public, but at $250 each there aren’t many takers.

Seems to me as taxpayers we are getting bamboozled, and Good Year is the only beneficiary.

You're right, that is effed up. Bilking the taxpayers.
I wonder whether that price to USPS was set by Goodyear or by the govt. I ask b/c the R's have been trying to bankrupt USPS for 15 years now when they passed legislation in 2005 requiring them to fund their retirement for 75 years into the future, a huge burden for any company that would be forced to do it (and it's unnecessary).

Unless there is a need to maintain a ready supply for USPS trucks and if they were marketed to everyone they might run out of inventory when needed by USPS? Of course, they could just ramp up production.

You like the Wrangler, eh?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Does anybody have any real world experience with these?
Would like your opinion for a variety of driving conditions, highway tracking, cornering,
road noise, dirt, gravel, some ice or snow? thank you

All the tires you listed have very similar specs, almost identical to the Hankook RA-18.
All I can say is, the Thunderer is my current spare tire & I haven't had to use it yet... Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

I went with it because it's adequately load-rated, fits in the clamshell & will "work" to
get me out of nearly any conditions I find myself in. If I find myself struggling using
the spare in wintery conditions, I have a set of basic tire cables to help me along...

FWIW: "All-Season" is essentially tire company code for a 3-season tire, NOT rated
for snow or ice. (As opposed to an "All-Weather" tire, which may <or> may not have
the M+S [Mountain/Snowflake] rating of a true WINTER tire...) Rolling Eyes <shrug>

Either way, you're on the right track & everything should work out for you... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Thank you, Dave
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Quote:
All the tires you listed have very similar specs, almost identical to the Hankook RA-18

Specs such as load capacity, max inflation, etc. do not distinguish a good tire from a bad one, they merely rule out ones that are completely unsafe for the vehicle. Four tires with these same specs could handle very differently under various road conditions depending on the rubber compound used, the tread pattern, and other variables that won't show up on the spec sheet. That is why auto, trade, and consumer magazines do road tests of tires. The RA18 (and its predecessor, the RA08) has long been the de facto "gold standard" for an all-season highway Vanagon tire in the stock size. Not to say that an off-brand tire couldn't possibly be as good, but you would not be able to determine that by reading specs.

I know it was mentioned once or twice in this thread, but if you didn't see it, you may want to read our article on Vanagon tire safety. https://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron. Useful information.
Ryan
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
All the tires you listed have very similar specs, almost identical to the Hankook RA-18

Specs such as load capacity, max inflation, etc. do not distinguish a good tire from a bad one, they merely rule out ones that are completely unsafe for the vehicle. Four tires with these same specs could handle very differently under various road conditions depending on the rubber compound used, the tread pattern, and other variables that won't show up on the spec sheet. That is why auto, trade, and consumer magazines do road tests of tires. The RA18 (and its predecessor, the RA08) has long been the de facto "gold standard" for an all-season highway Vanagon tire in the stock size. Not to say that an off-brand tire couldn't possibly be as good, but you would not be able to determine that by reading specs.

I know it was mentioned once or twice in this thread, but if you didn't see it, you may want to read our article on Vanagon tire safety. https://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/

I'm seeing the Y356 listed in some sites as "summer" and the Vantra as a 3 season, not M+S. It's confusing me and I'm wanting a tire that can competently handle some ice and snow. Anybody able to clear this up for me? TIA
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MWYVCI6

$226 on Amazon.

We paid over $250/tire for our Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 33/12.5/15. That is not that as large of a price difference as you'd expect between the difference sizes. Especially considering 31s are under $200. I am sure it is a just a demand thing, not a conspiracy. They are well made tires and handle a lot of abuse.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

The Y356 is a summer tire and should never be used in winter weather. The Hankook RA18 is M&S (mud and snow) rated, meaning that technically it can be used year-round. Does that make it as good as an actual snow tire in winter weather? Not by a long shot. No "all season" tire can compare to a dedicated snow tire on snow and ice (all other specs being equal). It will do in a pinch, however, unlike a summer tire. I have driven Hankooks in snow and ice, and also been stuck in an unexpected squall in a Bus that had summer tires on it. The summer tires were undriveable, I had to pull over. The Hankooks did okay but not fantastic. When I drove my Westy daily year-round I used to put snows on it during the winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wrangler-AT-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MWYVCI6

$226 on Amazon.

We paid over $250/tire for our Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 33/12.5/15. That is not that as large of a price difference as you'd expect between the difference sizes. Especially considering 31s are under $200. I am sure it is a just a demand thing, not a conspiracy. They are well made tires and handle a lot of abuse.

Unfortunately they're significantly undersized at a 93 load rating.
I am looking for a bit more aggressive tread than the Hankook Vantra or the Yokohama Y356, but rated for my full Westy.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
The Y356 is a summer tire and should never be used in winter weather. The Hankook RA18 is M&S (mud and snow) rated, meaning that technically it can be used year-round. Does that make it as good as an actual snow tire in winter weather? Not by a long shot. No "all season" tire can compare to a dedicated snow tire on snow and ice (all other specs being equal). It will do in a pinch, however, unlike a summer tire. I have driven Hankooks in snow and ice, and also been stuck in an unexpected squall in a Bus that had summer tires on it. The summer tires were undriveable, I had to pull over. The Hankooks did okay but not fantastic. When I drove my Westy daily year-round I used to put snows on it during the winter.

Thanks so much, Ron. I need all the details I can get.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Did you weigh your Westy? The AT2 mentioned by dhaavers (I run them too) has a 95 load rating / 1521lbs. That's over 6000lbs.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Did you weigh your Westy? The AT2 mentioned by dhaavers (I run them too) has a 95 load rating / 1521lbs. That's over 6000lbs.

No, I haven't weighed it. I was assuming the Grabbers are too undersized for my full Westy.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

6084lbs is a lot of weight, I wouldn't make assumptions about that much weight. An easy way to check is to go take 2 used brake rotors (or other metal) to a metal scrapper and use their scale.
mickowens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

Mine: 1980 Westy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

mickowens wrote:
Mine: 1980 Westy

Have you put them on your van?
How do you like them?
How's road noise? handling in turns, on wet pavement, in loose sand or dirt, on snow or ice?
Anything you can report on their performance?
thanks
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

those tires will NOT perform well in snow/ice, mud or really wet grass.
will roll nice and quiet down the highway.
will handle like rails on dry/hot mountain roads in the summer.

fwiw, "all seasons' are NOT 4 season tires imnsho

there are very limited rated 14in tires available with any snow/ice capability.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 14" Tire Options Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing any Vanagon will handle like it's on rails, much less on some no name tires. Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 31

Jump to: