Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front torsion arm inner bushing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Front torsion arm inner bushing Reply with quote

Has anybody had the inboard torsion arm bushing slide out of the phenolic outer portion? Mine slide inboard and completely out of the permanently pressed in outer portion which caused a bunch of slop in the torsion arm. Not sure if it just recently happened or not but I noticed the excessive play in the left lower arm while changing the wheel bearings.

Is there anything other than tension that holds the inner bushing sleeve in place like a shoulder that maybe wore off? The service manaul just says to install it with the special tool that makes sure it gets pressed in the correct distance. It looks intact and I've managed to pull it outboard a little and back into the outter sleeve but its a pain. I may try driving it back in from the opposite side with a long rod.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Front torsion arm inner bushing Reply with quote

There should be dimples in the beam stopping the bearings from pushing in too far... I just removed mine to widen my bean and I'm replacing them with Delrin bushings... but if your dimples aren't holding your bearings from going in then they won't hold these Delrin bushings in so you'll have to figure out why they are going in too far...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion arm inner bushing Reply with quote

Isnít the inner bushing 2 pieces. An outer metal piece and phenolic inner piece.
Iíd replace them but you will have to pull out the metal inner piece to get the new one piece designs back in.
I think what most likely has happened is the inner one has worn out and your just pushing it through the outer shell.

Thatís my thoughts at least.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion arm inner bushing Reply with quote

The inboard bushing is 2 pieces. A pressed in outer sleeve made of phenolic that sets against dimples in the beam tube. The inner portion is split (not in half) and slides into the outer.

The inner one slid inboard and out of the outer phenolic bushing. It fits pretty snuggly into the outer phenolic, but I thought it was a little odd that there's nothing holding it in place.

Per the MM the inner bushing has very little load on it. For a 47 year old car, mine sure didn't look like it had any wear.

FWIW I put the bushing back into place and there is almost no shimmy now. I think I have an out of balance rear wheel though. Never checked on how the shop balanced the tires but there are weights on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: