Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat Risers...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Decided to get a new progressive carb kit, to replace the one I have. Its shot. My question is my buggy's set up doesn't have the heat risers, though it was running fine, till the fuel pump crapped out on me. I will be replacing that as well with an electric pump. Will I need the heat risers with the new kit I ordered? I've seen a few buggy's wit out them. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated... thanks..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

if you drive in cool/cold weather you'll need them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Can I ask why you decided to go with a progressive set up with electric fuel pump?

Your fuel pump should be wired into some sort of safety switch (oil sender?) to make it safe.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

jspbtown
I went with the progressive kit, my engine ran so well with it , even with out the heat risers. But I decided to go with them anyway as suggested. The electric fuel I think fare better with these set ups, As well ass ease of replacement if ti ever goes south. Had them before in other bugs and never had issues with them. My last one ran for 10 years. No issues. The new mechanical pump are just garbage. They may last a year at best and to replace them with a weber progressive kit is a PITA......Electric pump/... easy peasy....And yes I will have an over ride switch for it... Thanks for the input...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

I like to keep it simple. My original VW fuel pump is over 50 years old. Every few years it gets a cleaning and a rebuild.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I like to keep it simple. My original VW fuel pump is over 50 years old. Every few years it gets a cleaning and a rebuild.

Why?

My fuel pump is over 20 years old and works just fine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Q-Dog Thats a good pump, you can rebuild, but hard to find. These new pumps coming from Brazil are garbage. Had to change quite a few in too short of periods of time. Going electric...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Last time I rebuilt the pump I am using in my buggy was 8 years ago. About 30,000 miles so far.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Well had some time this afternoon. Took out the engine, Easy on a buggy, took me a bit since I have a bad case of CRS. I tagged everything for ease of replacement. Now to go over it and see what else I need. This engine had no signs of oil leakage anywhere. Dry as a bone, but would you all recommend I change the seals in the oil cooler? I might apt to change the clutch and pressure plate as well. Am I missing anything? I will replace the exhaust gaskets, they look pretty rusty from setting around so long. Should I use a relay for the electric fuel pump? I'll post as I go along, any other recommendations would be appreciated... Thanks..
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Front seal. Yes on the oil cooler seals. Be sure to get the right pressure electric pump (or regulator) and yes on the relay.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

Thanks. Noted on all....
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

The stock rebuildable Pierburg fuel pumps are sold by a few vendors as rebuilt units, and the rebuild kits are available from Wolfsburg West if you can get your hands on a used one. I was able to find a NOS unit when I had my 2165 built last year. I wanted a stock mechanical pump for simplicity and reliability, and the Pierburg fit the bill in terms of working well with my dual Webber linkage and relocated coil. For those interested, here are a few of the vendors that list them.

https://www.classiccult.com/vw-pierburg-fuel-pump-1958-67.html
http://www.vintagewerks.com/Fuel%20Pumps/fp_4sale.html#1300pierburgfuelpump
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Risers... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
Well had some time this afternoon. Took out the engine, Easy on a buggy, took me a bit since I have a bad case of CRS. I tagged everything for ease of replacement. Now to go over it and see what else I need. This engine had no signs of oil leakage anywhere. Dry as a bone, but would you all recommend I change the seals in the oil cooler? I might apt to change the clutch and pressure plate as well. Am I missing anything? I will replace the exhaust gaskets, they look pretty rusty from setting around so long. Should I use a relay for the electric fuel pump? I'll post as I go along, any other recommendations would be appreciated... Thanks..

You have no leaks... why would you replace any seals?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: