Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing a video of it running and some rolling down the freeway shots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Agreed, Congrats on getting it running. You're further along than Steve, as he's only had his running on a stand (before he took it apart again). Rolling Eyes Laughing
Look forward to seeing some pics of it in action. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Alright! Let's get some good action shots posted up huh?

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Empi Fuch with a tire for the Smart Car. The tire has the sidewall of a 135 but a much wider contact patch. Would only go in one way, barely.
Also fitted jack and hung the wiper fluid bottle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Super stoked for you.
Can't wait to get back to normal and see this one at some events.

WRT D-Jet and cams..
Any cam with some more duration, say Web73 or more,
the increased overlap and reversion in the intake tract causes the flapper door to flail around at idle.
This movement of the flapper the brain perceives as an acceleration event;
It's smart enough to see the rapid movement of the flapper, and adds fuel, such as an accelerator pump on a carb.
A bigger cam can just totally fuck with it though..
So, once you get the wideband on it, and go get your flapper spring dialed in, both tension and baseline
(plus move the wafer board around if you're really brave/anal)
Don't be surprised if your idle mixture ends up wonky - likely rich.
Increasing the size of the bypass air circuit, drilling a hole in the throttle plate, higher idle speed, lots of different tricks to get idle where you want it - once you have the highway running dialed in perfect.

I'm sure you know this already, but hit me up if it decides to give you a hard time.
2270 is a really big motor to be feeding with L-jet.
Increased fuel pressure, bigger TB, bigger injectors..
Luckily, there were many more-powerful cars from the period running L-Jet you can get parts from.

Again,
Super super stoked for you.
This car is coming out really nice.

Wish i could be there to help tune it. Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Super stoked for you.
Can't wait to get back to normal and see this one at some events.

WRT D-Jet and cams..
Any cam with some more duration, say Web73 or more,
the increased overlap and reversion in the intake tract causes the flapper door to flail around at idle.
This movement of the flapper the brain perceives as an acceleration event;
It's smart enough to see the rapid movement of the flapper, and adds fuel, such as an accelerator pump on a carb.
A bigger cam can just totally fuck with it though..
So, once you get the wideband on it, and go get your flapper spring dialed in, both tension and baseline
(plus move the wafer board around if you're really brave/anal)
Don't be surprised if your idle mixture ends up wonky - likely rich.
Increasing the size of the bypass air circuit, drilling a hole in the throttle plate, higher idle speed, lots of different tricks to get idle where you want it - once you have the highway running dialed in perfect.

I'm sure you know this already, but hit me up if it decides to give you a hard time.
2270 is a really big motor to be feeding with L-jet.
Increased fuel pressure, bigger TB, bigger injectors..
Luckily, there were many more-powerful cars from the period running L-Jet you can get parts from.

Again,
Super super stoked for you.
This car is coming out really nice.

Wish i could be there to help tune it. Cool

JAKE??????
I recognize that paragraph LOL.
One thing I am learning is that when the car first starts the alternator works hard to bring the battery up full, doesn't last long but the cold motor doesn't like it.
I am also understanding that this motor will require a slight depression of the go pedal to start.
Right now I can back the idle screw all the way out and not get RPM where I like it BUT it is way to rich so I expect that to improve with a leaner mix as well as getting it good n warm should. If not enough RPM after all that I was considering the hole in the plate.
As for the size of motor and the old L jet I will normally shift between 3.8 to 5K so it becomes a matter of Can it keep up at WOT under 5K.
It would be nice to have someone keep it running until I can get back there.....
Nothing accomplished today as an entire squirrel flock got ahold of me before I was completely awake and ran me off on a chase for parts for the next project.
SQUIRRELs
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Little update. After 8465.3 times checking the 02 meter at idle and 2000rpm then back to the AFM for an adjustment I started to get the hang of it.
I made myself a chart of what to do if say the idle was rich and 2000rpm was lean, what readings I should have at what RPM and other little tips which helped keep me on track.
I am pleased to announce that I now idle at 14.5 Stoich and I am at 14.5 Stoich at 2000RPM.
At first I tried going lighter on the spring in hopes of getting a start without a foot on the pedal but it got to the point the spring wouldn't shut the flap and it still would not start without an assist so I reset and started going the other direction.
The combination of the wiper, which is extremely sensitive, and the spring is kind of like adjusting ride height with the torsion bars. To get where you want to be you must move the wiper one direction then adjust the spring the other way to fine tune.
Now I just have the highway tune left, then the final tweek to idle and 2000.
Another little project today was a low voltage alarm also known as a workaround for the lack a genny light to let me know the belt let go.
A solution occured to me late one night when I recalled watching some videos of Porsches run around Nuremburg. When they switch on power there is an audible alarm and some dash lights. I wondered if that was for the alternator/fan warning so I started my search which led me to this little device

It is an audible alarm and has two leds for low voltage and proper voltage. The little pot on the upper left is the sensitivity which I set so the alarm was sounding when the alternator was not turning. Now when I power up the car there is an alarm and a little red light, once the car fires the light goes green and the alarm goes off. I'm a Ricky Racer Cool At some point I will wire the lights so I can place them in a spot to catch my view. I would place the low voltage warning in the genny light location but it is such a paint to get to that gauge I will find some other place.
Worked on the wire harness for the AC and a light for the CHT gauge that had none. A little bit more wire work and then it is onto the AC hose n fittings.
Starting to think this may happen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

So you didn't connect the green wire from the gen/alt to the blue wire at the VR location? That would have given you the gen light in the stock location. We did that on Rob's car with a T-4 and alt combo.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
So you didn't connect the green wire from the gen/alt to the blue wire at the VR location? That would have given you the gen light in the stock location. We did that on Rob's car with a T-4 and alt combo.

It’s a single wire self exciting alternator. If you connect to genny light it stays on.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

It’s a single wire self exciting alternator. If you connect to genny light it stays on.

AH, ok. I didn't know it was a single wire set up. But then we used a stock Bosch T-4 alt in his conversion.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

After what feels like 30 days in the hole I think I finally have most of the electrical under dash figured out. Added a foot well interior light and also got the air conditioning evaporator unit installed.
The fuel gauge had been pegging when power applied, best I could figure it was some kind of power leak that was going into the unit. I wound up isolating the unit from the rest of the gauge then ran its own power circuit and that seems to have worked. I was also able to place a light in the generator position that I wired up to the speaker on my low-voltage warning device. When the speakers going the light is on.
I wound up moving the fuse block onto the firewall which allows a little bit of room to get in behind the dash, barely.
I am going to figure out someway to fill the gaps between the dash and the AC to keep the foot well light from coming through, but that’s for a later date.
Under the AC unit I have my head temp gauge and my air fuel meter.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
After what feels like 30 days in the hole I think I finally have most of the electrical under dash figured out. Added a foot well interior light and also got the air conditioning evaporator unit installed.
The fuel gauge had been pegging when power applied, best I could figure it was some kind of power leak that was going into the unit. I wound up isolating the unit from the rest of the gauge then ran its own power circuit and that seems to have worked. I was also able to place a light in the generator position that I wired up to the speaker on my low-voltage warning device. When the speakers going the light is on.
I wound up moving the fuse block onto the firewall which allows a little bit of room to get in behind the dash, barely.
I am going to figure out someway to fill the gaps between the dash and the AC to keep the foot well light from coming through, but that’s for a later date.
Under the AC unit I have my head temp gauge and my air fuel meter.

That looks fantastic. I especially like how well lit up the foot wells are. What did you use there for lighting? My son was looking at doing something like that with his own car, but never got it that bright.
It's all the little details that make it look so great, like the tach in the dash, and clock horn button, to the mini cluster on the top of the dash pad. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

The footwell light is a self adhesive led light strip, I chose a warm light around 3500k iirc. It runs side to side on the rear of the AC. Similar to the strip I used inside the dash gauges.
I tapped into the dome light ground wire. I think I will put in an off switch so I can leave the door open without light if desired.
Thanks for the kind words.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Very nice detail!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

I can’t get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but can’t improve the seal. Any suggestions?

I have completed installing seats and seatbelts

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Quote:
I can’t get the upper pop out window to seat. I have played around a bit but can’t improve the seal. Any suggestions?

Do you have the plastic/rubber sleeves on the hinges?

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Quote:

They should bring the window forward a bit. I just replaced the outer seal on on of my windows but don't have the new sleeves yet. And my window has the same issue.

I don’t have those in either window. I couldn’t get them started into the slot.
Let me know if it helps.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
mdege wrote:
Quote:

I don’t have those in either window. I couldn’t get them started into the slot.
Let me know if it helps.

My popouts fit good & don't leak with electrical tape on the hinges.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

This looks fantastic! You did another amazing job!!! Here you have finished multiple projects and I am still trying to finish one Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: