Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA)
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scbrvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

I am looking for a local shop or skilled hobbyist in the Los Angeles area to resurrect my baby. I bought my 1975 Superbeetle Convertible in 1991 (from the original owner) when I was 15. Up until January 15, 2018, it was my daily driver. At 3:31 am, my trusty yellow steed was smashed in front of my house by some hit-and-run loser doing high-speed doughnuts in the street. After a period of public mourning, she was retired to my garage until I could afford the repair work.
The time has finally come, however, I can't find the guy who did the previous restoration and I don't know where to look for someone else I can trust with the project. I would love to get started soon. I have not had anyone give me a quote. Any recommendations for a shop or VW hobbyist who could house and complete a potentially lengthy restoration project are welcome. I want someone who I can collaborate with on the details. Thanks!

Last edited by scbrvt on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

If you are in Ca., you are pretty much in VW Mecca. If you can't find someone to do this you gotta be living wrong. Saying that, it would probably be MUCH cheaper to go on "the Samba", and buy another one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

Ask moderators to move your post to the late and SuperBeetle Forum
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

Send or post some pictures. Would like to see what you have, to see if I would be willing to offer my hobby time up.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
scbrvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

You are probably thinking all in restoration on that pile would be around $10,000. That price would be about 30K short. You need to learn the terms before you ask for something like "restoration" This is a major job, and the rear end damage is only part of what is wrong here. MUCH, much more needs to be done. Every photo shows previous fillings with a whole lot of bondo, front, back, sides etc. When dealing with the insurance company accept the "total" as I am sure they are offering and move on. This VW is not worth the repair, no matter how many years you have owned it. Sentimental value is not compensatory.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

ISP West in Carson, CA does good VW work.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
You are probably thinking all in restoration on that pile would be around $10,000. That price would be about 30K short. You need to learn the terms before you ask for something like "restoration" This is a major job, and the rear end damage is only part of what is wrong here. MUCH, much more needs to be done. Every photo shows previous fillings with a whole lot of bondo, front, back, sides etc. When dealing with the insurance company accept the "total" as I am sure they are offering and move on. This VW is not worth the repair, no matter how many years you have owned it. Sentimental value is not compensatory.

x2

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

You need a fork to stick in that.

Frame is bent and I think the 40k is about on the mark.

Or

Do it yourself and make it happen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Take the insurance money and buy this. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2182294

Yes. As soon as I saw those pics I thought buy another one, Super Beetle Convertibles are almost a dime/dozen and TONS of them are near mint.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scbrvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

What part of “hit and run” implies there is insurance money? SMH
Thanks for your opinions, but I asked for a reference.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

scbrvt wrote:
What part of “hit and run” implies there is insurance money? SMH
Thanks for your opinions, but I asked for a reference.

Did you talk to ISP West like I suggested on Wednesday, or was I supposed to supply their price too? Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

Pretty much all the major VW part sellers are in California. I would start by contacting them to see if they work with anyone in particular for their own personal vehicles.

That repair will be extremely challenging. Best of luck.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

It will be "totaled" and will probably have to be registered as a "salvage vehicle" which may be uninsurable in California.

You will be money ahead buying an intact car and restoring that. Maybe strip your car's usable parts and end up with a combo vehicle for half the money.

This is not a restoration, it's a remanufacturing after body removal and frame repair.

It may be hard to find a shop that would even take on the project as you define it... they may want payments up front because your project is the classic type for owners to walk away from it when it gets over budget, and the shop ends up owning a piece of junk.
scbrvt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

@ktphil it was a hit and run parked car. I garaged it and renewed registration as PNO. The registration/salvage title is not a problem because insurance was never involved.
FYI, I am perfectly capable of finding service for my car. I’ve kept it running and looking sweet for a really long time without asking for your help, after all. I know there are a lot of great shops in the area, but not a ton who can take on a lengthy project and do it with the kind of care one would use to build a car for themselves or their kid. I don’t want to end up with something that isn’t sound on the road. This is primarily the reason why I’m not taking it to the classic vw shop conveniently located within walking distance of my home- every time I go there I end up back within a few days with the same or a new problem.
Not a bad idea to use it for parts, but all the more reason that I need someone who can house the project long term. The quality VW shops I know have very small lots. (Jomag, westside independent, and the much missed Wabbit Wepair) I have an amazing all metal custom welded dash, new interior upholstery and seats, new dark brown convertible top, custom wooden steering wheel, one hell of a sound system, all new glass, new hoses. Only about 3000 miles on a rebuilt engine, 1 month old exhaust system.
Not really feeling the condescending “throw it in the garbage” vibe I’m getting from most of you. I’ll call a few of the places that were actually recommended and have someone check it out IRL. You guys can keep having your Debbie Downer fun. When I’m up and running, however and whenever that will be, I’ll post new photos and let you know what happened. ✌️
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is trying to be a Debbie Downer or condescending to you. The advice given (as much as it might hurt to hear) is realistic and based on a lot of collective experience. It seems you have a lot of sentimental attachment to the car. I totally get that- lots of us do. What the collective "Samba World" is saying is that it makes absolutely zero financial sense to fix it. If the money means less than the memories, by all means, I say go for it. But if $20,000 or $30,000 (or maybe even more) to fix it is a lot of money to you, you can probably buy another equal car for $5,000 and make some new memories in that.
It might be different if you were able to do the work yourself. You can consider your time as 'free'. But if you want to pay $100+ per hour for someone else to do it, you will be spending the value of the car many times over to get it done.

I couldn't agree more with the suggestion of stripping all the good parts over to a new car, and then the original Beetle still lives on. Seats, stereo, convertible top etc are all reasonable to transfer over. The engine too maybe, but I'd be leery about any damage to it from the crash.
It could take years to bring your car back to life (if you can find anyone willing to take it on), but you could be cruising down the road in a new car within the week.

Best wishes for whichever route you take! Keep us posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who can repair & restore my 75' super conv't? (Los Angeles, CA) Reply with quote

You just heard the sound of 5000 samba members tap out.

The fact that you didn’t insure it tells all.

You are the only one who can save this car. Welding , straightening, new parts, all doable but not on. A paid clock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: