Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exterior lighting gremlins
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Exterior lighting gremlins Reply with quote

Oh my how this new to me Syncro Doka has been an exercise in frustration.

Needed a new tail light bulb so decided to try and do a good thing and swap to LEDs. I am regretting it now. Everything was going okay when swapping the signal lights except the hyper flashing. Picked up one of the LED flasher units from GoWesty. Of course my doka uses a different flasher, ugh. Now to wait on that. In the meantime after swapping then all my right turn signal stopped working. Hazards work fine. Thought maybe the LED wasn't pulling enough power so swapped back to originals. Still not working. Will check the fuses and all tomorrow but after I am finished and put it back together I go to check the parking lights and when they are turned off the right rear light stays on. Man oh man- I never should have touched anything. I hope at some point I can upgrade or fix something without it breaking something else. If it aint broke...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior lighting gremlins Reply with quote

Try firmly rocking the hazard switch ON-OFF a bunch of times. That may fix the turn signal issue.

The turn signals go through that hazard switch. The hazard switch seldom gets used and this can make it act up when it finally does get used.

Mark
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior lighting gremlins Reply with quote

I think old VW's are an exercise in frustration...I feel like whenever I am fixing one things - another thing breaks...

I have not come across the symptoms you are having - but having had similar things go wrong with tail lights - it has almost always been the ground at the light. But I'm not sure how the Vanagon lights are grounded...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior lighting gremlins Reply with quote

What year is the truck?
When you have time. Lay out all of the bulbs indicating what sockets they were installed in. Do you and know how to use a multimeter? Doesn't need to be fancy, a $10 meter is fine for type of work.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior lighting gremlins Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It is an '89. I have restored a few Land Rovers and Ausin Healeys and know the basics of getting it fixed, but man, even the Lucas electrical's make this one look bad.

I will put a meter on everything and try and sort it out this weekend. Was working fine until I changed the bulbs so know that usually means it is something I've done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: