Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

"49 State" means it was sold in all US states except California.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

spud72uk wrote:
I have a 34-PICT 3 427-1 which according to the start of the thread is for the 49State which I assume is 49th State - Alaska.

A "49 State" carb is one that meets the emissions setup for all US states other than California. One that meets California requirements would be refered to as California compliant or "50 State".

Quote:
I have problems with the carb pulling 16 degrees of advance from the vacuum after it has been revved from Idle and returns to idle. When the car is started there is no vacuum advance as you would expect, just when you rev it and it returns to idle. When you disconnect the vacuum pipe the advance goes...

It sounds like you might need to give the carb a good thorough cleaning.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Actually 49 state refers to the 50 states w/the exception of California. California had it's own stricter emissions standards apart from the other "49" states. So the carbs and attachments differed slightly! Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spud72uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info re 49 state much appreciated, does any one has a picture of one of these carbs with 427-1 on the flange as I think I am missing a lot of the emission bits - thanks again
spud72uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
spud72uk wrote:
I have a 34-PICT 3 427-1 which according to the start of the thread is for the 49State which I assume is 49th State - Alaska.

A "49 State" carb is one that meets the emissions setup for all US states other than California. One that meets California requirements would be refered to as California compliant or "50 State".

Quote:
I have problems with the carb pulling 16 degrees of advance from the vacuum after it has been revved from Idle and returns to idle. When the car is started there is no vacuum advance as you would expect, just when you rev it and it returns to idle. When you disconnect the vacuum pipe the advance goes...

It sounds like you might need to give the carb a good thorough cleaning.

It has been rebuilt recent, had it cleaned ultrasonically today and still exactly the same result. Really strange as you can appreciate it really messes with the timing.
spud72uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
"49 State" means it was sold in all US states except California.

thanks
e-square12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Quick question... I have a carb stamped 325-2 which makes it a 1972 34 PICT 3 based on the table in page 1. Is it ok to use that with the matching *205AN distributor on my 1974 Beetle or would that cause issues?

Last edited by e-square12 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what year the engine or car itself it is in/on. 1600DP, on such, yes that combination is fine.

Now... the age old question is: Does the retard side of the vacuum canister on this distributor still function? This is such a common question, because so many of them fail there.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e-square12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a way to check the retard side of the canister. Suck on it and see if it holds, maybe? I don't have the distributor yet...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Yeppers, that's about it - put a hose on the retard side, apply suction to it, watch that the breaker plate moves accordingly, then pinch off the hose and see if it holds.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I think this should be a sticky!!

Uh, yeah.

Great work!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

e-square12 wrote:
Quick question... I have a carb stamped 325-2 which makes it a 1972 34 PICT 3 based on the table in page 1. Is it ok to use that with the matching 305AN distributor on my 1974 Beetle or would that cause issues?

I think you meant 113905205AN DVDA distributor. There were two basic versions of the German Solex 34-3 carbs. The DVDA version (most common) and the SVDA version in 1974.

The DVDA's distributors will work with any of the DVDA German Solex 34-3 carbs.

When I check vacuum canisters, i use a hand vacuum pump with gauge. I pump them up to 300mm hg and insure they do not leak down. If they do, they're done. The suck and hold test just doesn't work with any accuracy.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
e-square12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

You are right; meant to type 205AN. Just edited my comment for future reference.

Do you test both ends on the DVDA with the pump?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

e-square12 wrote:
You are right; meant to type 205AN. Just edited my comment for future reference.

Do you test both ends on the DVDA with the pump?

Correct. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
dougstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Just found this thread, what a wealth of good info. Thank you for keeping at it all of these years!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

I've often wondered what exactly are the differences across the various 34PICT3 flange numbers/models. Others seem to have similar questions. So I thought I'd consolidate what I've read in this thread and observed myself.

The variables seem to be:

1. Differences in sizes of various removable jets (these can be replaced to match)

2. Differences in sizes of the two air-bleed drillings (if drillings can be enlarged if needed)

3. Power jet size (most seem to be 100, bus ones seem to be 95 and perhaps they can be drilled to 100)

4. Configuration of throttle lever - with/without provision for damper, with/without provision for throttle delay mechanism (these don't really matter for interchange unless you want to retain damper or delay and the carb you are considering does not have them)

5. Configuration of accelerator pump linkage - generator vs. alternator (alternator type will fit all, generator type will require spacer or grinding alternator for clearance)

6. Number/location of vacuum ports (all have advance port, not all have the other 2)

7. Number (and size?) of advance drillings

8. Throttle plate hole size. Most (all?) DVDA ones had the larger holes. Did the SVDA ones have smaller holes? I have seen Bocars with smaller holes, but I'm not considering Bocars in this discussion. (the smaller holes can be made larger by drilling and the larger ones reduced with a rivet I believe)

Any I've missed?

Of these variables, which ones are most relevant for matching with a given distributor? Is #7 the most critical from that perspective? Of course, if you want to use the DVDA retard function, then #6 also becomes important.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

For most stock applications would the brosol h30/31 pic performance improve simply by adding the biggest vacuum advancing cannister to the stock Bosch 034 style distributor or is it just the airflow through the carb throat that needs to be modified?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

No need. Just use the angled port on the flange of the carb as mentioned previously.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:

This is a great post. I had mine on "A" I placed it on "B" and most of the Hesitation went away. I say most. "B" had a strong Vacuum. So you are saying "D" is stronger than "B"? I put my finger on it and got little or was a I mistaken about "D". I will test "D" for strong vacuum as soon as the throttle is slightly opened. Thanks for this.

The vacuum on B is strong but I think is not OK for the advance. If the vacuum advance should be always at max, the vacuum advance has no function, the same result could be obtained with a fixed rotagion of the distributor.

The B port produces ALWAYS a good vacuum because its purpose is to provide constant vacuum to the air filter thermostatic control; it has to work at all conditions.

The D port, in my case, was the best; no vacuum at idle and a variable vacuum during normal rpms. Those engines work well when advance is minimum at idle and at full load, maximum at intermediate conditions.
Moperkont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparing stock Solex carbs to each other, and to the H30/31 Reply with quote

Alright, I went through the bulk of this post but figured I would just ask in case I missed it.

I have a 1200cc 40HP with a Solex 28 and an Empi 009 installed by PO. I have had some running issues with it.

I found a VW 113-905-205M (Bosch ZV/PAU 4R3) distributor with the vacuum canister that I purchased. All the info I found said a 4R1-4R6 would work. Does that seem correct.

The other thing I am considering is a rebuilt Solex 30/31 or a Brosol H30/31.

Does it seem like I’m on the right track?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: