Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

I’ve seen pictures of Squarebacks towing small travel trailers before, is it actually feasible for a type 3 to tow in its stock form? I have kind of a fantasy of buying a trailer I could live in and basically be stationary with it but still be able to move it if I needed to without getting rid of my 71.

Also, what’s the process for installing a tow hitch + wiring for lights? And where can I find the hardware for one?
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

I suppose I'll say it before someone else does, check the classifieds! Several type 3 hitches for sale there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1805864
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

they must be able too
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Lightweight travel trailers were common in Europe back in the days. Even beetles would pull them.

I believe most travel trailers in the US are much heavier. You might want to look for a European model. Eriba Puk or Pan or even the East German Qek Junior would be a good match. These trailers are light enough to be towed without the need for extra breaks on the trailer. I believe the limit was 450kg.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

It probably could pull any trailer but it is about the stopping. A lightweight trailer would be feasible with proper suspension, brakes and other safety protocol in place.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

This is the style trailer hitch for your 1971 Squareback, VOA # ZVW 164 301
& VALLEY # VW69W are identical design and have reinforcement plates.
Gross Wt. not to exceed VOA 1080 lbs / VALLEY 1025 lbs & Tongue WT. 88 lbs

Reinforcement Plates...
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
Gross Wt. not to exceed VOA 1080 lbs / VALLEY 1025 lbs & Tongue WT. 88 lbs

Reinforcement Plates...

That is the only version you want! Those reinforcement plates have to be welded in for additional strength . Any homemade version with just a ball attached to your bumper plate is usually just garbage and danger.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

The manual says - "for a Variant I and Variant II : Permissable Trailer Weights 650 kg for trailer with brakes, or 490 kg without brakes.
For caravans or trailer or glider (!!??!!) trailers, 800 kg limit."
There is a whole page on "Trailer Towing" in the manual, including a delightful section which states "If driven properly your VW will climb any normal road gradient when towing a trailer, But do not demand the impossible." (My bold !)
Personally I think a "caravan" is too cumbersome and too unaerodynamic for long distances, so I am actually working on a project to get a VERY lightweight trailer designed and built that is just basically a flat deck. I have then found a tent which is very easy to set up in 30 seconds and only weighs 20 kg, but unfortunately is 205 cm long when it is collapsed. https://www.oztent.com.au/Products/tent-range/oztent-range/oztent-rv-2 This makes it too long to safely put on the roof, and impossible to put inside my Fastback, and anyway, I want a faster set up. So the plan is to have the flat deck of the traler 205 cm long, and 200 cm wide so the tent will just sit on the deck, ready to unfold, and just needs to be folded down for travelling. The catch is the width of 200 cm - It may need to have a fold out flap so it is not too wide for towing. Plan is to keep weight below 250 kg total. I want fast set up and take down (for inclement weather), and will set up the rear luggage trunk of the fastback with a very simple inbuilt "kitchen" something like the photo below.
Thats the plan, anyway.......... Smile
But sure you can tow a trailer as long as it is the correct weight and design.
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

When I was a kid, my dad took us on a 6 week East coast to West coast camping trip (saw family on the west coast as well). He used our brand new 69 beetle and a Nimrod tent camping trailer for the trip. Other than the occasional flat tire on the trailer, and being overloaded it went well. I don't remember us having any trouble with the bug during the trip, other than being under powered.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Typ3nut wrote:

Reinforcement Plates...

Those reinforcement plates have to be welded in for additional strength . .

Where do those plates "have to be welded" ??? My tow bar is a proper one (maybe not VW, but still approved design) and just bolts directly to the same place that the rear bumper bolts to, with the (slightly longer) bumper bolts going though both flagnes into the same chassis mounting. No strengthening plates in there at all. But any extra strength is always good, as long as it is needed.
G

Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

The plate go where the hitch bolts onto the body, because the factory metal is too thin to do the job thats why the plates go on top of the factory side panels.

Your hitch looks different in the center. Those 2 mounting taps maybe bolted onto the rear apron for additional support for the tongue weight. Did you by the hitch unit new from a store?

Also the higher weight trailer ( anything over 450kg I think) in Germany has an Automatic Brake System. There is a mechanism in the Coupling section which connects to brake cables. When you hit the brakes the trailer will keep moving forward a few inches and that will actuate the trailer brakes to slow down the trailer. That system is Bulletproof and works. Will be also checked during the safety inspection every two years.

I have never seen electric brakes in Germany like they have here in the US.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
It probably could pull any trailer but it is about the stopping. A lightweight trailer would be feasible with proper suspension, brakes and other safety protocol in place.

If you try it make sure that the trailer has electric brakes, and you wire in a brake controller into your Type 3.

I know this is about using a Type 3 as a tow vehicle, but I am sharing what I learned about towing with a Type 1. I used to have a 69 Baja, with a 2010, and a 4:86 ring and pinion. For brakes, it had Gia disc brakes in the front, and Type 3 drums in the rear. I made an ultra-light trailer for hauling 2 dirt bikes behind it. I towed it short distances twice before I parked it. Pulling it wasn't the problem, stopping was. Every stop had to be well planned out, forget an emergency stop, wasn't going to happen.

I was able to scrounge a tent trailer axle with electric brakes. Shortened it to fit the trailer, and put a brake controller in the Baja. Then it felt comfortable stopping. However, with the light weight and short wheelbase of the Baja made me give up on it and I sold the trailer.

Now, your Type 3 would make a far better tow vehicle than a Type 1, but my Baja had similar brakes to a Type 3, and being able to stop in all conditions is critical.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:

Your hitch looks different in the center. Those 2 mounting taps maybe bolted onto the rear apron for additional support for the tongue weight. Did you by the hitch unit new from a store?

I have never seen electric brakes in Germany like they have here in the US.

It was on the car when I purchased it.

In Aus we get at least 3 types of trailer hitch. One is solid, so relies totally on the car for braking.
Two is slightly spring loaded, so when the car brakes, the trailer hitch has a piston / cylinder that then moves forward slightly, and this then pulls cables which actuate the brakes. This is the most common on smaller trailers. The harder the car brakes, the more the piston / cylinder moves forward, and the harder the trailer brakes work.
Three is electric brakes, but this is usually reserved for big trailers, and IMHO would be overkill for a small 500 kg max trailer behind a VW. (Didn't say they wouldn't work well, but just overkill IMHO when option two works brilliantly.)

And appreciate the info about the bracing, but that rear apron is so flimsy, I can't see it providing that much strength, even with the bracing. Those two tabs on the centre of mine do bolt through the rear apron, but I reckon this was more to support the apron than to support the tow bar !! Laughing

Here's a photo of mine when on the car when I bought it.

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Here's how our spring loaded trailer brakes work. Probably same as the ones you mention from Germany.

See the little hinged flap in the middle - Lift it up for normal towing operation, and the spring loaded piston can move forwards to activate the brakes when the car slows down.
When you want to reverse, you just jump out and flip down the little flap, and the spring can't compress so the brakes won't come on.

When you forget to put the flap down prior to reversing, you wonder why the harder you push, the trailer won't move !!!

And its rated for 2000 kg - Thats 4400 lbs. Plenty for the VW limit.

Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Your style is similar. Never seen that blocking piece on German trailer . You can do a search on Google with

"Auflaufbremsen fuer Anhaenger"

and you will see the German system. They sell complete kits. They also come with a Handbrake. It is mandated. That way the trailer does not roll down a hill and stays in plays when parked. I wish they would sell stuff like that over here.

Maybe the later Type3 have a larger mounting bracket for the bumper or had some reinforcement already from the factory. You will know just by looking at that area on your car. I do not know.

Mine is a 67 Square and has early bumper. I installed sleeping / camping hinges on my back seat. Works great and saves lot of money compared to $70-$100 a night at a cheap motel.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Based on the holes It almost appears that the reinforcement plate are being bolt on. They are easy to copy. Maybe somebody can give a chicken-scratch drawing with some measurements and thickness of the material.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

In Germany it is mandatory to reenforce the mounts on the Typ3 when installing a trailorhitch.

The hitch must be inspected when installed, by a TÜV engineer and he has to check that the installation was done following the instructions of the hitch msnufacturer.

Once it is inspected the registration documents need to be updated by the DMV.

If you don't do these steps and get cought you endup with a big fine. And in the event of an accident you will loose your insurance coverage.

New hitches and other accessories for modern cars these days usually come with EU certificatd which allows you to install the parts without all of the hassle.

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Yes, ours have a handbrake too. That is what the ratchet is for in the photos above - They just did not include the hand brake lever for when you are parked.See photo.

Australia does not need the change to registration documents etc when you fit a tow bar. You just buy the bar which suits your car, and drive away. Laughing

Hand brake lever here.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Sorry I was more interested in the squareback than the trailer.

Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can a squareback tow a small travel trailer? Reply with quote

Not sure that the reinforcement plates have to be welded but I made sure that the bumper mounting bolts were highest grade and adding an extra one wouldn't hurt for added strength.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: