Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 181 project pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4Imp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed this thread. I'm preparing to start on our 74 over labor day weekend. It was rear fire damaged and I'll be grafting a new rear clip first. Then addressing the rest of the build in stages.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

flat4Imp wrote:
Can't tell you how much I enjoyed this thread. I'm preparing to start on our 74 over labor day weekend. It was rear fire damaged and I'll be grafting a new rear clip first. Then addressing the rest of the build in stages.

Thanks that's great! Take pictures as you go if you can (we love pictures Wink ). It's great seeing people's projects, have fun with it!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

On the subject of fire damage, I installed my Blazecut fire extinguishing thingy. It's placement was highly influenced by those three bolts already being there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
On the subject of fire damage, I installed my Blazecut fire extinguishing thingy. It's placement was highly influenced by those three bolts already being there.

Like the placement
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Almost from the beginning when I set up the steering wheel placement in this car I've had this festering idea (festering?) to remove the rear stops on the seat tracks allowing the seat back farther. I spent the last five years wondering if this would be stupid, I have no idea. Let's find out.

Each notch in the track adjustment is roughly 3/4 inch or a couple centimeters. One notch further than normal still allows two adjustment teeth to remain engaged. This feels about right to me, allowing a little more leg room.

If my seat and person suddenly shoot off to the back of the car Shocked I'll report here for appropriate ridicule. Or you could laugh at me now.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Good grief, has it really been three years since I've done something to this car? I had better screw with it.

Inspired by Mondshine's setup I decided to experiment with an accusump pre-oiler. After the car sits for a time starting it produces some unnerving engine noises, just for a second or two until it builds oil pressure. It has always done this, then it runs fine. I wonder that a bearing or something was machined out of spec, I won't be surprised if this eventually leads to the engine's demise.

After some indecision I crammed it in here, doesn't look hard but it took me all day.

I removed the old oil pump and replaced it with this CB Performance full flow out/in pump. The little cut out in the pulley tin was for the previous Maxi 2 filter pump, it happens to match nicely.

The oil filter ended up here.

The accusump feeds into the system through the blue fitting. I held off installing a check valve under the thinking the oil would not tend to backflow through the pump, this seems to be the case it's working well. Per the accusump instructions I did find a filter without a bypass valve to protect the unit from contamination.

I went with an electric valve wired to the ignition rather than a manual valve. Turn the key on and oil goes in then oil warning light goes out. Start the car and the unit refills with oil while running, turn off the key and the valve closes holding oil for the next time. It's working well, no more "rattling" during start up. I imagine eventually I'll have to address the problem, probably just buy a new engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: