Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwad1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 69 for $600 whitch turned out to be quite the score. I had a 72 super that I restored and sold a few years back so I was familiar with the trouble spots on VW. I only had a few min to look it over before I made an offer. It was being reclaimed by nature so it was tough to see under it and the front wheels were filled with vines. It has Empi 8 spokes and Empi shifter newer carpet alum running boards and a sunroof. I looked under and was amazed the heat channels and floorpans had already been replaced and undercoated. The motor is complete down to every single tin and free the motor looked complete and untouched so I assumed that it would run givin some tlc. No key of course. When I got it home its in better shape than I would have dreamed that almost never happens. I quickly discovered the front disks. The rotors are a bit ate up pitted from rust. How do I determine if they are Ghia (no VW markings) or aftermarket? If I cant find anyone to turn them I may need new rotors and want to get the correct ones.
Something is odd with this frontend as well it sits skyhigh the ball joints are at full articulation. My other bug was a super so I am totally new to this front beam action lol! I dont know if its an adjustment issue with the beam or a spindle issue with the po useing the wrong spindles. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks Guys!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

Nice going with the purchase that is turning out better than at first glance. OEM Ghia disc brakes had a sheetmetal dust shield fitted which is often not fitted to Beetle conversions. The shield is slightly larger diameter than the disc (aka rotor), seen here. This is a Beetle front end but the same parts would be found on a Ghia.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, most conversion kits for Beetles that do not use the Ghia disc brake spindle use an adapter bracket. Look on the inner side of the disc to see if there is a thick adapter; often approx. 1/4" thick depending on the steel.

If you are in doubt, take a few well focused and lit photos (turn your flash ON, not just on automatic, but ON because you're shooting into a dark area) and post them here so we can better identify.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

If you want to get them turned check with your local auto parts stores. Around here they turn them for $10. I’m not sure how to tell what they are from as my 73 is all stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gwad1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

It does have the dust sheild on the back and the disk itself is identical as pictured. I will definatly seek out a shop to turn the rotors. Thanks!
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

Could it be a euro spec import?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

Disk breaks is badly misspelled. Should be: DISC BRAKES. gross misspellings bug me
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

And window "scrappers" on the doors should really just recycle the glass. Confused
gwad1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

Sorry you fellows are so fragile. Those comments did nothing to further the solution to the question. Focus! Laughing
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

The picture above is of my Euro spec Australian delivered RHD 68.It came standard with discular breaks.

In 1968 the ATE calliper had only one pin holding the pad to the calliper. Later models had two pins and parts and pads for these callipers are more easy to source. You should verify if you have one or two pin retainers.

The rotor will have markings on the inside hub if genuine. Not a big problem if they aren’t original. Some aftermarket rotors will have a min thickness marked on them but you should be able to find that out easily here.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me)1969 beetle with front disk What kind? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nice going with the purchase that is turning out better than at first glance. OEM Ghia disc brakes had a sheetmetal dust shield fitted which is often not fitted to Beetle conversions. The shield is slightly larger diameter than the disc (aka rotor), seen here. This is a Beetle front end but the same parts would be found on a Ghia.

Backing plates are available on JBugs or Amazon.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: