Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd no start issue. First time.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

I was adjusting choke on 34-3 pict carb for cooler weather. I’ll post that issue in another thread I have going.

After choke adjustment I got in car to start like I always do. Turn key and no start. Absolutely nothing. Car fired up two days ago just fine. Next turn of key, I put clutch in and Bam! It started right up. I have my suspicions why. Where and what should I investigate first? Thanks for any trouble shooting suggestions.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

Time to remove the transmission nose ground strap and clean up both ends, the clutch cable isn't going to last long filling is as the ground path for the starter.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Time to remove the transmission nose ground strap and clean up both ends, the clutch cable isn't going to last long filling is as the ground path for the starter.

That was my thinking. Time to roll around in a wet driveway. Thanks BD. This is the only car I haven’t polished ground straps. Thought I did it last year when we installed engine. Totally makes sense. I will polish up other ground connections as well.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

Add in a little dielectric grease to each connection after cleaning. The grease will keep oxygen and water out, so will take much longer to get to a corroded state again.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Add in a little dielectric grease to each connection after cleaning. The grease will keep oxygen and water out, so will take much longer to get to a corroded state again.

Copy that. On ground straps I apply dielectric grease around the outside of the ring and bolt, once I’ve reattach them to clean metal. Seems to work on the other VWs. The ground strap on transmission was very clean since installing last year. The battery to body strap was a hot mess. I forgot to clean that up after rebuild. Bug fired up nice and strong afterwards. Thank you both. I’ll update if I have more issues.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

Good! Do also clean up the grounds between the starter and transaxle, and the starter body and the starter solenoid. Seen those fail with not that much corrosion.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

I'd add to make sure you have good battery cables with the correct ends. The ground cable by the battery should be checked/cleaned as well.

I see a lot of these connectors that are terrible.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BAF-TTC-Coated-T...drive09-20

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Turn key and no start. Absolutely nothing.

Did you mean no activity from the starter? Or by "absolutely nothing" you mean none of the indicator lamps (OIL and GEN) turned ON when you turned the key to ON/RUN before reaching START? The OIL and GEN lamps should have remained ON when the key rotated back to ON/RUN after START. Is this the case?

If none of the indicator lamps turned ON then I would suggest you look at the ignition switch output wires and test them for voltage in the different key positions.

If it was ONLY the starter not operating normally, it could be the ground/battery wires or it could still be the ignition switch. Test the red/black #50 wire coming off the ignition switch. This wire runs to the starter solenoid and is powered when the key is in the START position.

The big question is whether you can reproduce the problem so it can be tested. If the engine now starts ever time it could be difficult to troubleshoot.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
Turn key and no start. Absolutely nothing.

Did you mean no activity from the starter? Or by "absolutely nothing" you mean none of the indicator lamps (OIL and GEN) turned ON when you turned the key to ON/RUN before reaching START? The OIL and GEN lamps should have remained ON when the key rotated back to ON/RUN after START. Is this the case?

If none of the indicator lamps turned ON then I would suggest you look at the ignition switch output wires and test them for voltage in the different key positions.

If it was ONLY the starter not operating normally, it could be the ground/battery wires or it could still be the ignition switch. Test the red/black #50 wire coming off the ignition switch. This wire runs to the starter solenoid and is powered when the key is in the START position.

The big question is whether you can reproduce the problem so it can be tested. If the engine now starts ever time it could be difficult to troubleshoot.

Agree! My first thought was ignition switch or a loose connection. Those 50 circuit connector at the starter tend to wear out over time. A little tightening can work magic! A nd pulling the connector off the blade terminal and back on cleans off some of the oxidation! Win win!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Odd no start issue. First time. Reply with quote

I can’t remember if oil and Alt light came on or not, now that I think of it. But the Bug started right up as it should with clutch in on second try. After cleaning battery connection under seat. I didn’t have any more issues. Hoping that was the issue. Thanks all.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: