Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater control knob question...see pic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Heater control knob question...see pic Reply with quote

I bought the car like this and was just wondering if it was just missing the knob or what. It looks as if something may have been cut off but I'm not too familiar with this year. Can anyone tell me what's going on or post a pic of the original area without the knob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early beetle...heat control knob

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
texstardetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's missing more than just the knob.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/chassis/bug_chassis.cfm?type=1
mrmdls
Samba Member

It appears that the shaft where the heater control knob is attached was cut. Here's a picture from the gallery that you could take a look at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1211893
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

from the gallery Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Why do people do such stupid sh!t to cars
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

from the gallery Wink

How did you get that I searched heater control knobs and got "nothing available "

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get that shifter. All I have seen have a bend in them.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtremeBean wrote:

Most likely because a previous owner had the attitude of "I don't need a heater, this is Arizona".
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Where did you get that shifter. All I have seen have a bend in them.

That's a Hurst shifter, you'll have to keep your eyes open and search for one. Pretty much all the new production EMPI and Bugpack trigger shifters are modeled off of the old Hurst, but they seem to only offer the bent style.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have a bent one just like the straight look
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtremeBean wrote:

You mean like this?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/nbturbos/betsy/24574_433676050829_502100829_556469.jpg
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you could probably weld a replacement in and have the knob function again. You will probably need donor metal, though, for the shaft that will need to be welded on.

You can get the heater cables, control unit, pin, and knob through Wolfsburg West, or you could probably find it at a VW place near you.

Two things to be careful about; don't mess up the threads on the shaft, and be very careful putting on or taking out the roll pin that holds the knob to the control unit. It's very fragile. If you find an original that is complete, just leave it together, and clean it up connected.

The cable for the heat is a solid wire, so even if you wind up with an edge in your welded repair, and you can't get it perfectly clean with a bastard file, it should still function.

If you are considering this fix, let me know. I can get you detailed pictures and measurements, as well as pictures of the replacement procedure from the Bentley.
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
ExtremeBean wrote:

You mean like this?
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/nbturbos/betsy/24574_433676050829_502100829_556469.jpg

Not my style, but it's pretty sweet other than the paint job. That's just a matter of taste. I don't see, why anyone in their right mind would just hack the heater control knob off.
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
It looks like you could probably weld a replacement in and have the knob function again. You will probably need donor metal, though, for the shaft that will need to be welded on.

You can get the heater cables, control unit, pin, and knob through Wolfsburg West, or you could probably find it at a VW place near you.

Two things to be careful about; don't mess up the threads on the shaft, and be very careful putting on or taking out the roll pin that holds the knob to the control unit. It's very fragile. If you find an original that is complete, just leave it together, and clean it up connected.

The cable for the heat is a solid wire, so even if you wind up with an edge in your welded repair, and you can't get it perfectly clean with a bastard file, it should still function.

If you are considering this fix, let me know. I can get you detailed pictures and measurements, as well as pictures of the replacement procedure from the Bentley.

Thank you very much for the detailed post. It will probably be a while before I can get to it, but those bentley pics will definitely help
MarcDev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater control knob question...see pic Reply with quote

Panicman... you seem to know about these 64 bug heater control knob pins... I am just trying to remove the knob and the pin just will not pop out, I do not want to rap too hard.. it is not rusty.. am i just rapping the wrong side? You mention it is fragile... oh great! How do I get this pin out? I read someplace one side is thicker than the other but the WWW part looks like the pin is not thicker on one side? What am I doing wrong? thanks very much!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Heater control knob question...see pic Reply with quote

sorry for digging up such an old thread but im trying not to create new one when i dont have to Wink Anyways, so i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my '65 sedan heater knobs. first off, are they the correct type?,

when i was looking on the inter web, trying to find one, i haven't been successful in finding THis style of knob. if you can't tell from the photos(they are older and not a close up), they are rectangular. one is red, the other white.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Aiden

also, i found one used set in the classifieds, but its not just the knobs, however, here is a more clear photo, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1327525
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Heater control knob question...see pic Reply with quote

Owners Manuals are a good, but not perfect, way to see areas like this. From the 1965 OM, but does look like 1964 steering wheel horn ring. Heater knobs look like what you have:

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Heater control knob question...see pic Reply with quote

awesome! thank you. My car is an early 65. made in august of 65 if i recall correctly.

At this point, it seems like no one sells repops which is fine but im curious to know if this was a one year only transition sort of thing? thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Heater control knob question...see pic Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
awesome! thank you. My car is an early 65. made in august of 65 if i recall correctly.

At this point, it seems like no one sells repops which is fine but im curious to know if this was a one year only transition sort of thing? thanks

Glad to help! Have you checked out the "The Obsolete Air-Cooled Documentation Project" here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

There are several parts manuals and others that are a must to look thru now and then. There is even a Beetle parts manual that for now is accessible thru the "Upcoming" button at the top of that web page. Also the "Progressive Refinements" books are a huge help being a almost day by day model changes on the factory floor. Like this page:

If you can not read that, left click on it, and when it comes up in it own screen left click again to blow it up even more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: